Thread: This is how it's done by a gov't. that cares about the people it represents...

Default This is how it's done by a gov't. that cares about the people it represents...

Default Re: This is how it's done by a gov't. that cares about the people it represents...

re: the thread title - wazzat? Never heard of such a thing.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: This is how it's done by a gov't. that cares about the people it represents...

My only caution ... this is the release of a Commissioner's report prepared for the Federal Minister; it's not a statement of Government policy. Yet. There's an election this Fall, and the content of this report should, IMO, be a big part of what the campaigns are about. Not least, ensuring that the Liberals (who commissioned the report) are pinned down on exactly their level of commitment to the recommendations Hoskins and the other commissioners are making. I think it's the right thing to do, but there are a bunch of ways to make it the wrong thing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    My only caution ... this is the release of a Commissioner's report prepared for the Federal Minister; it's not a statement of Government policy. Yet. There's an election this Fall, and the content of this report should, IMO, be a big part of what the campaigns are about. Not least, ensuring that the Liberals (who commissioned the report) are pinned down on exactly their level of commitment to the recommendations Hoskins and the other commissioners are making. I think it's the right thing to do, but there are a bunch of ways to make it the wrong thing.
    If only the Liberals had a record of following through on their lofty promises. (Yes, still ticked about electoral reform!)

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I am not sure what your title is intended to convey.

It seems more important to determine who is paying for these "benefits."

I would suggest that the only fair way to finance these government projects is to have 2 tax rates 0% and 100%. Start att eh top and tax at 100% until enough money is raised. And then tax everyone else at 0%.

But I am sure the politicians in your country will sell something more palatable to the rich.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I am not sure what your title is intended to convey.

It seems more important to determine who is paying for these "benefits."

I would suggest that the only fair way to finance these government projects is to have 2 tax rates 0% and 100%. Start att eh top and tax at 100% until enough money is raised. And then tax everyone else at 0%.

But I am sure the politicians in your country will sell something more palatable to the rich.
    This has nothing to do with how the money is raised - separate topic. But you knew that didn't you?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The only thing Trudeau has done that he said he would was legalize weed. And he botched that. There are essentially two products that are tantamount to a license to print money. One is oil, the other is weed. And our government can't sell either to save their lives. If he were to figure out how to lower the cost of our drugs, that would be a good thing. Almost enough to overlook his boxed water comment. Couldn't have looked more awkward had he been attending a Conservative Party rally with a red tie on. How can you mess up that question? Yet, Mr. pretty hair messed it up.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    This has nothing to do with how the money is raised - separate topic. But you knew that didn't you?