Thread: First Restauration - would like some advices!

Default First Restauration - would like some advices!

Hi! 111.jpg

So this is my project. I've never had a boat, but I'm quite handy, I like to work, and I'm patient. So I should be able to do something nice! I'll keep you updated anyways!

So the boat is made out of mahogany, 16 feets, 1966, pretty nice. Was maded in Montreal, and still in Montreal. Btw, I'm looking to buy supplies in Montreal, in case anyone would have some places to suggest, otherwise, maybe a good website? Or on amazon?

So

So the hull has been painted... with something like interior painting, for some reason. It looks like it can be removed easily. I would link to have it all wood, and chrome, of course I'll see what I will do with the seatings.

Since I have not a single clue about what I'm doing, and that i just started looking at youtube videos, I will detail my step, and would be gratefull for you thought, criticism, or advices !

Step 0 : Remove windshield + engine, and turn the boat around, lay down on 2x4s for easier work. I will also weld new pieces to the trailer and paint it while the boat is not on it.

Step 1 : Remove the paint - Heat gun or paint remover ? - An industrial propane heat gun maybe? paint remover shall be expensive a bit?

Step 2 : Sanding + removing paint in the cracks, making everything nice and smooth. Start with something like 40 grit, down to (i don't know, 120-180???).

Step 3 : Should I caulk if needed? how do I know?

Step 4. : Sealer + Varnis? - epoxy or not? - what would you put on it? If i re-varnis thh interior too... Would I do that at the same time?

As I said, I'm new to this, at least I'm trying, And i'll be happy to learn!

Have a good one,

-Alex

Default Re: First Restauration - would like some advices!

Welcome to the forum.
    Mane sure that you support her well, so that her weight does not distort her or damage the foredeck.
    I would use an electric heat gun, you do not want to char the surface. 40 grit sounds too aggressive to me.
    CPES is a good primer under varnish, epoxy is not necessarily beneficial in this application.

Post more pictures when the paint is off for more informed advice.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

What is her construction (how is she built)? Depending on that and what type of wood was used she possibly may not look good varnished. How about some more pictures,.... pleaseee.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We have no idea how she is built.
    May be plywood. Can't tell ,we need more photos.

Welcome!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I cannot tell if she is planked with a ceiling inside the frames or ply with a rough FG job.

I scrap a bit and theres wood underneat the paint.

HI Alex,

Welcome!

Given the shape of the turn of the bilge and what I think the flare of the bow looks like, can't see for sure, my guess is that she is either planked or cold molded, not plywood. I can see why you want to get rid of all the current paint, but it may be too early to know if you can finish her bright or not.

I would start by sipping a few good sized areas in key locations to determine her construction. Specifically a section on the flat side of the hull, one where the transom and sides meet and maybe up by the stem. Take some pics of those areas and post them here. Don't worry about getting the stripped areas perfect just get most of the paint off. Heat up an area about 3in x 3in with an electric heat gun until it just starts to bubble then pull a paint scraper over it, and start heating another spot. Don't worry about getting all the pigment out of the wood for now, but do make sure the scrapper doesn't gouge the wood or it gets too hot.

As for getting her flipped over, I would hold off until you have an idea of the construction and what hull repairs need to be done. Some repairs may be easier right side up and others upside down.

Have a look at what I just did on a similar boat and it may give you an idea of what kind of things may need to be done.

-JP

The hull shape isn’t typical for the method, but I suppose she might be molded plywood?

15102EDC-9A6B-4737-8C46-9AF4DC40749A.jpg00A18107-A355-423A-820C-4E793FCF06B2.jpg

So this is the coating. Its chipping away pretty easy at some places. It look like its sealing the whole hull. Theres water coming in at the only place under the boat thats its cracked. Theres also fiberglass patches at some places under the boat.

Basically, i think the easier way to make something nice would be to repair that coating and paint it? Removing Ól fiberglass repairs looks like a crazy job, im putside at my parents place, and in going to snow in 3 months haha.

Most of the dommage under was done my the unfit trailer the guy used. I shall change modify the trailer. Then the engine needs to be cleaned. First steps, what do you think?

nice boat for your first project.
    be EXTREMELY careful with the windshield. it can be very expensive
    to replace it if it gets a bad scratch or broken.
    best of everything in your new adventure.