Thread: Barr plays hardball with Congress

Default Barr plays hardball with Congress

This stinks to high heaven!

Justice Dept. to Congress: Back off contempt process, or Barr will ask Trump to shield census documents

Attorney General William P. Barr will ask President Trump to assert executive privilege to shield documents from the administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census if Democratic lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee proceed toward holding Barr in contempt, the Justice Department revealed in a letter Tuesday.

The revelation came on the eve of an expected Oversight Committee vote to hold Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt for failing to turn over documents that lawmakers had subpoenaed, as well as stopping a witness from testifying without a Justice Department lawyer. Assistant Attorney General Stephen E. Boyd wrote that the decision to schedule the vote was “premature” and accused lawmakers of refusing to negotiate with the department to get at least some of what they wanted.

“In the face of this threatened contempt vote, the Attorney General is now compelled to request that the President invoke executive privilege with respect to the materials subject to the subpoena to the Attorney General and the subpoena to the Secretary of the Department of Commerce,” Boyd wrote. “I hereby request that the Committee hold the subpoenas in abeyance and delay any vote on whether to recommend a citation of contempt for noncompliance with the subpoenas, pending the President’s determination of this question.

I do not remember a JOT that was this beligerant toward Congress.

You can read the rest:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Default Re: Barr plays hardball with Congress

An empty threat from Barr since we all know that Trump will not turn over those documents whether Barr is cited with contempt or not. I say, cite all of the scum with contempt.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It is what Barr had Trump do respecting the Mueller report too - and it's underlying evidence. Declared a blanket Executive Privilege over it all. It cannot stand up in court - which is why the Department of Justice is actually providing those underlying documents to Congress now - but it can delay. It can set a narrative for Fox News to propagate that Congress is trying to do something illicit in examining the rationale for administration policy changes. One would wonder, of course, what they were trying to hide - if there were any real doubt.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

What'cha hiding, trump?

Makes a good meme. Or bumpersticker. Or... both.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    What'cha hiding, trump?

Makes a good meme. Or bumpersticker. Or... both.
    I hate bumper stickers... I'll put it in my window! Maybe I'll put 2 just in case they miss the first.

I find it incredible that 30% of our population isn't asking what's he hiding.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

They should fine him 10k a day until he provides the documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    They should fine him 10k a day until he provides the documents.
    Why just 10k? They can do 25K
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Ok 10k first week, 15k second week, 20k third week, you know Trump style, as a bonus we can now do the same with Wilbur.