Thread: Found a picture of the first boat I skippered...

Default Found a picture of the first boat I skippered...

Hi folks,

I got this when I was around 5 and sailed it on ponds and tide pools at the beach, for many years...

Star Yachts of Birkenhead SY-2, solid wood with a steel plate keel. They had a lot of weather helm, so you could set it off on a starboard tack, and it would do a swooping curve, round up into the wind, snap across smartly and continue on an equal port tack.

Edit: For clarity that one is somebody elses picture of the same one I had. Mine I think got discarded by the matriarch when the sails mildewed some years later.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Default Re: Found a picture of the first boat I skippered...

Wow, you had a store-bought one! Lucky...

that is a cool toy.
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    Mine I think got discarded by the matriarch when the sails mildewed some years later.
    Mildew, shmildew. It would be worth a fortune now if you had been allowed to keep it.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nah, probably only 20 quid, this was a smaller one, 12" the bigger and pre-war models might be worth a bit more. I remember lusting after the big 2 foot jobbies, but saving up for hobby stuff seemed unpossible in the 70s when prices seemed to double yearly.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

My dad had a pair of similar boats that we sailed on a nearby pond. No idea of make or model or where they are today. That was all 80 years ago. (Now you know why my handle id Oldad.)