Thread: which primary fuel filter for yanmar?

Default which primary fuel filter for yanmar?

Can I use this fuel filter on my yanmar 2gm?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: which primary fuel filter for yanmar?

I do not like fuel filters with multiple plastic parts or potential leak points.

I might look at something like this;

IMG_4794.jpg

Yes, you can.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default which primary fuel filter for yanmar?

Yep. I have an older version for my 1GM10 using a 10 micron filter.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thanks.

I'm still kind of new to diesels.

Canoeyawl, I can see the logic behind your choice. Fewer fail points. And, no melting in case of a fire?
    I was thinking the see-through bowl helps you gauge the condition of the fuel in the tank by being able to see how much water and debris are coming into the filter.
    But if you are happy with the Yamaha, maybe it's not such an issue if you change the filter regularly. Is that the case?

That "Yamaha" filter was just a grabbed image and probably not my best choice as it may be for gasoline not diesel.
    My point was that a metal spin-on filter will work fine. Check the owners manual for the correct micron rating for your engine.
    My experience with the Racor type filters is they are often installed on the suction side of the fuel system and can be the cause of an air leak. Used on the pressure side of a transfer pump they are fine.
    (The metal one piece spin on filters are good reliable filters and will work reliably anywhere in the system)

Racor and many others have different filters for pressure and vacuum and some with a priming pump built in.
    Personally I'm a fan of the Turbine type vacuum filters but to be honest even the smallest racor 500MA turbine series is a bit over kill for a small 1 or 2 cylinder diesel.
    Large bowl you can look into.
    Easy to change element with the Tee handle on the top.
    Elements are far cheaper as well than the spin on type. (ie R12T etc)
    Z
    (NB I sell some racor filters at work)

I have twin Racors on my 4JH3E Yanmar. While a spin-on does have advantages, the Racors have worked beautifully for many years & have the advantage of being available just about anywhere.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Wadsworth View Post
    Can I use this fuel filter on my yanmar 2gm?

You can, but they are crap. I had one. If you have water in the fuel, the basin is too small to hold much and water will make its way into the engine where you can expect significant problems. I also found it was difficult to see how much water or sediment was actually trapped. I finally got rid of it for a 500FG which is the more traditional and effective Raycor filter. Don't skimp on your filters. When your out in a bad chop, Water and sediment from the bottom of your tank can easily get churned up and sucked into the feeder pipe.

Last edited by Boatbum; 06-17-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks, Boatbum. You've got me sold. I'm new to diesels and am still getting used to how important clean fuel is. A larger capacity for water and dirt makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, Boatbum. You've got me sold. I'm new to diesels and am still getting used to how important clean fuel is. A larger capacity for water and dirt makes a lot of sense.
    I have a pair of those on my boat. I've been very happy with 'em.

I carry at least 4 spare elements & replace them as soon as I can after use

Does anyone have a vacuum gauge attached to their filters?
    I've read that they can let you know when it's time to change the filter element, but I'm wondering how effective they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I have a pair of those on my boat. I've been very happy with 'em.

I carry at least 4 spare elements & replace them as soon as I can after use

I also put 2 nitrile gloves and a disposable diaper in a ziploc bag for each spare filter. When the filter needs a change, I put the diaper under the filter to catch any drips and use the gloves to change the filters. Then I put the filter, diaper and gloves in the ziploc to dispose of. Also since it is a fresh installation, I'd make sure you have isolation valves on each side of the filter - if you change the filter carefully and add a little diesel to "top off" the canister you can probably change the filter without having to bleed the system - unless you are lucky enough to have a self bleeding diesel engine.

Does anyone have a vacuum gauge attached to their filters?
    I've read that they can let you know when it's time to change the filter element, but I'm wondering how effective they really are.
    I've heard the same thing, but don't have one either. Usually when I check the oil, I look at the clear basin too which will usually tell me if the filter is at risk for becoming clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I also put 2 nitrile gloves and a disposable diaper in a ziploc bag for each spare filter. When the filter needs a change, I put the diaper under the filter to catch any drips and use the gloves to change the filters. Then I put the filter, diaper and gloves in the ziploc to dispose of. Also since it is a fresh installation, I'd make sure you have isolation valves on each side of the filter - if you change the filter carefully and add a little diesel to "top off" the canister you can probably change the filter without having to bleed the system - unless you are lucky enough to have a self bleeding diesel engine.
    Good thoughts - especially on the valves. My Yanmar is self-bleeding - dunno about this one.

"I'm new to diesels and am still getting used to how important clean fuel is. A larger capacity for water and dirt makes a lot of sense."

Marine Diesel Engines by Nigel Calder. Pg 47-8 explains the requirement for and function of both primary and secondary filters. A primary filter is designed to separate water from fuel, may include a filter for larger particles, and is installed prior to the lift pump tp prevent water from being broken up into smaller droplets that are more difficult to remove. The secondary filter, usually engine mounted, catches the smaller particles prior to the fuel entering the injector pump. With one engine and no sails on Accolade I have both. Hope this helps. / Jim

Can one use such a big filter with such a small engine?

In any event, close any fuel valves is good advice since it will prevent siphoning of fuel from the engine or tank.

Also, swab out the filter to remove the grit and water that dripped off the old element as you removed it.

Be careful with all fuel-soaked rags, etc.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You can always use a bigger filter, just not a smaller one

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have the vacuum gauge that replaces the T handle on my Racor 500 for MD2040.
    I rarely change filters, never had a jam up problem .
    It is comforting to be able to see the lack of vacuum in the system .
    I also have an (illegal) take off on the bottom of the tank(plywood 35 gallon) that I dump a quart of fuel from the very bottom after sitting still for awhile.

I also have an (illegal) take off on the bottom of the tank(plywood 35 gallon) that I dump a quart of fuel from the very bottom after sitting still for awhile.
    AFAIK a tank drain is only illegal for gasoline. Diesel tanks can have a drain.

Kevin

Oh thanks Kevin !

What do you do with a quart of dirty diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    What do you do with a quart of dirty diesel?
    Boy scout juice for the next bonfire!

I wash my poo bucket with it.

Noice....

Yet strange.

What do you do with the mixture of poo and diesel?

Call it biodiesel?

I've posted this before but FWIW this is my go-to reference for fuel filtration:

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/

Has some interesting comments on Racors. Both of my boats have Racors now, but it's on my list to replace them with spin on multi-stage filtration setups from Seaboard.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I've posted this before but FWIW this is my go-to reference for fuel filtration:

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/

Has some interesting comments on Racors. Both of my boats have Racors now, but it's on my list to replace them with spin on multi-stage filtration setups from Seaboard.
    Good information there...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    My point was that a metal spin-on filter will work fine. Check the owners manual for the correct micron rating for your engine.
    My experience with the Racor type filters is they are often installed on the suction side of the fuel system and can be the cause of an air leak. Used on the pressure side of a transfer pump they are fine.
    (The metal one piece spin on filters are good reliable filters and will work reliably anywhere in the system)
    Bump...
    I service a lot of diesels, (although to be honest, I have employees that do it now) and my experience is that
    multi-part filters are troublesome. I have seen more than one engine shut down by an air leak at the most inopportune time. These failures have all occurred with an added filter in a suction line.