Thread: Outlawing Ocean Rescue

Default Outlawing Ocean Rescue

[IMc - Shades of that film "Styx". https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/m...yx-review.html ]

Published on Tuesday, June 11, 2019, by Common Dreams

'Sea Rescues Have Been Criminalized' as German Boat Captain Faces 20 Years in Prison For Saving Refugees
    "We have only followed international law, especially the law of the sea, where the highest priority is to save people from distress."

by Eoin Higgins, staff writer

A German boat captain faces a long and costly trial in Italy for charges targeting her humanitarian efforts on behalf of refugees.

Captain Pia Klemp, 35, told Basler Zeitung on June 7 that her upcoming trial in Italy for years of efforts with the civilian lifeboat "Iuventa" that saved at least 1,000 lives will take years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Klemp faces up to 20 years in prison, but, she said, whether or not she ends up in jail—she would challenge any conviction in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France if necessary—the damage has been done.

"The worst has already come to pass," said Klemp. "Sea rescue missions have been criminalized."

Along with helping refugees, Klemp works with ocean conservation group Sea Watch.

The Italian charges against Klemp come as part of an anti-immigration crackdown by far-right Interior Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini, who ran on imposing harsh penalties on refugees.

"Italy's fascists are using this case as a showcase to deter others from aiding migrants," journalist Rula Jebreal said on Twitter. "They would prefer to let people drown in the Mediterranean."

Klemp is banned from sailing along the Italian coast due to her activism in favor of refugees. In her comments to Basler Zeitung, Klemp addressed the notion that sea rescues like the ones she did are in any way motivating for refugees to come to Europe.

"People come because unfortunately there are so many reasons for flight," said Klemp. "And they come over the Mediterranean, because there are no legal entry routes."

Commentators on social media noted that Klemp's actions in the Mediterranean were in keeping with the U.N.'s policies on rescues at sea and the humanitarian duties of a ship captain.

Klemp would have been in violation of the U.N. Law of the Sea (pdf) if she didn't help migrants, pointed out Twitter user lifelearner47.

Klemp agreed.

"We have only followed international law, especially the law of the sea, where the highest priority is to save people from distress," she told Basler Zeitung.

Her activism was put into historical context by Peter Scott Smith, son of famed World War II vet Harry Leslie Smith.

"In another era, Pia Klemp would have saved Jews from extermination," tweeted Smith. "That she faces 20 years in jail in 2019 for saving refugees lost at sea, indicts the EU for hypocrisy and abetting crimes against humanity for allowing Italy to conduct a show trial."

A petition on Change.org calling for the charges to be dropped has already received over 77,000 signatures.

Klemp told Basler Zeitung that she hopes the trial is over quickly—the captain has been working full time on the case.

"The sea is the most beautiful place for me," said Klemp.

"Every sunset is great, if you accompany dolphins or the water looks like it's cooking because you accidentally picked up a tuna swarm," she added. "Just that way of being away from the sound, from the many, from everything."

Our work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. Feel free to republish and share widely.

Default Re: Outlawing Ocean Rescue

Was she already at sea and received a distress call that she then responded to? Or did she put to sea with the intention of looking for refugees to pluck out of the water?
    That’ll be the deciding factor in the case I would imagine. Not saying its right, but I can see where this is going.
    If you were sailing along and came upon a sinking raft and picked up persons in distress I cant imagine any court holding you in violation of the law. If on the other hand your mission was to set out to actively search for refugees in order to aid their transit to a nation that had a law against such an act, well that’s a different matter.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This is a court in Italy? I wish him luck.

We had something similar years ago when a Norwegian container ship picked up a boat load of refugees off our north coast.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_affair
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    As I remember, they moved the body around for a nicer picture. Oh, and the boy and his family was not fleeing from warzone - the father had a job in Turkey
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    As I remember, they moved the body around for a nicer picture. Oh, and the boy and his family was not fleeing from warzone - the father had a job in Turkey
    you listen to rush limbaugh???

erm, i mean i think your recollection may be suspect, on multiple points
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It's a Kurdish family who had fled once to Turkey but fled Turkish oppression also. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Alan_Kurdi

So? The child still drowned. The fact that journalists can be aerosols does not make the child any less dead.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    We had something similar years ago when a Norwegian container ship picked up a boat load of refugees off our north coast.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_affair
    I think it was different in many ways. Germaine to the OP, I don't recall that issue was taken with the act of rescue, and the Tampa was a container ship, not a humanitarian activist. I think the issue was about whether she could then land the asylum seekers in Australia. Australia's response was disgraceful, but not the same as the Italians.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    So? The child still drowned. The fact that journalists can be aerosols does not make the child any less dead.
    Do we know that the statement that the body was moved is even true? I suspect it isn't.

You are doing a good job of lowering my faith in humanity
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Those who use the link in #8 will learn a great deal. And the liars who try to claim this is a hoax can find pix of "the body being moved" - taken by the photographer as rescue workers took the little body away.

How does one make a picture of a dead three year old boy look nicer?
    Nosce te ipsum

I can think of a few (types of) people I'd like to see drowned and washed up on a beach. None of them are children. All of them are the types that try to excuse the idea of a child drowned and washed up on a beach.
    Have a nice day. Ask around if you're not sure what "Have a nice day" is code for when ending a conversation.
    Sam Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think it was different in many ways. Germaine to the OP, I don't recall that issue was taken with the act of rescue, and the Tampa was a container ship, not a humanitarian activist. I think the issue was about whether she could then land the asylum seekers in Australia. Australia's response was disgraceful, but not the same as the Italians.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Valid points.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

You really are a complete jerk.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You really are a complete jerk.

Rick
    Rather than the name calling which achieves absolutely nothing, why not provide verified sources of information? The world is awash with dis-information. The fact that the majority of the UK population believe what they hear/read on the BBC, does not mean the news line they report is true, sadly.

Preservation of life at sea. The fact that many of these boats are discovered closer to the African coast does raise a question of why they are not returned there, and not the longer route to an EU port. I wont get into the debate with Soros funding all these NGO to effect politics in Europe. Sad point, no one seems to look at the bigger picture of why so many attempt the crossing to begin with, just who de-stabalized all these countries?

I'll just let you ponder that one - while you also think about your values. I couldn't really care less how the photograph was taken - it's a small child who drowned.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Rather than the name calling which achieves absolutely nothing, why not provide verified sources of information?
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I wont get into the debate with Soros funding all these NGO to effect politics in Europe.
    Let's see.... you want to cast doubts on the accuracy of information.... yet, apparently, there's nothing wrong with dredging up George Soros as the boogeyman, right?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'll just let you ponder that one - while you also think about your values. I couldn't really care less how the photograph was taken - it's a small child who drowned.
    There are something like seven billion people on the planet. I'm much more concerned about the jerk japanese hunting whales.

Your capable of your own research Norman, you can come to your own conclusions, hopefully based on accurate information.

Nothing wrong with my values, just how you appear to have wrongly judged them; welcome as you are to your own opinion, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    This is a court in Italy? I wish him luck.
    HER not him
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    There are something like seven billion people on the planet. I'm much more concerned about the jerk japanese hunting whales.
    It's possible to be just as concerned about both.

Rick