Thread: using a traditional cleat on wooden block for mainsheet

Default using a traditional cleat on wooden block for mainsheet

Looking for advice on how to use the bottom of this block as a cleat - I know that is what I am supposed to do, but at loss on what is the standard way to cleat my sheet on it...

IMG_4435.jpg

Default Re: using a traditional cleat on wooden block for mainsheet

Use a half hitch or two on the tail end of that thingamajig

Is there a triple up top and a double block below for a six to one advantage? That would require that some of the passes be so behind others as to be hidden. Or is it two sheaves atop, one below, and the fall passes through the the lower block through a hole?

If the former, pass a bight under that ear and lay it between the sheaves and block so it jams a little.

If the latter, then the part by the left hand moves into the block when the sheet is eased and had pressure into the block when held still. So with little fear of a jam you can't undo, bring the fall under that ear, across where the thumb is and lay a bight against the top of the block. A little pressure and it will jam to hold but still yank out.

In either case, a turn or two around the ear will releave a good deal of the jamming pressure if that's a problem.

Maybe. It would help to have more context pictures of the whole rig. I'm imagining a number of other ways I'd rig it if other parts of the layout are different. For example, it might be oriented backwards.

Whatever you do, don't put any hitches around that ear. They will jam badly.k It's rare that a locking hitch is put on a sheet.

If a half hitch is used it should be with a bight of the rope so that it can be undone with a pull on the working end, possibly with a roundturn around the ear first.

/Matsa

Elected Swedish Yourneyman of the Year 2019

I have a strong feeling that that block is a Dutch halyard block. The thumb holds it off the mast to prevent the rope from chafing.

To belay to the block, you need to extend the axle pin out both sides like on a Thames Barge main sheet.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm with Nick on this one.

It doesn't look like a Thames barge block to me. I'd do a hitch in a bight. With the bight on the side of the horn. I think you can see some varnish damage there. So with the horn facing you, take the rope around the horn, and then tuck a bight under, on the side that came out of the sheave. To release, pull down.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 06-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Some Googlefu.

I was wrong about it being a halyard block, it is the sheet.
    By the wear pattern in the wood, you bring a bight of the tail up behind the thumb and jamb it behind the falls of the tackle. Tension of the falls then holds it in place, the more tension, the more it grips.

Kudos for those that went for Dutch. This is a lemsterak - this one in fact: https://sailcharterfriesland.nl/en/project/blauweheks/ a traditional fishing boat from Lemmer, with a giant gaffed main, and 2 jibs, one at the end of a long , risable bow sprit.

The block is indeed a mainsheet block - I am pretty sure I can tell that apart, Nick ;-) Raining now, but based on collective input above, I will try this hitch:

IMG_4438.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Philippea101 View Post
    Kudos for those that went for Dutch. This is a lemsterak - this one in fact: https://sailcharterfriesland.nl/en/project/blauweheks/ a traditional fishing boat from Lemmer, with a giant gaffed main, and 2 jibs, one at the end of a long , risable bow sprit.

The block is indeed a mainsheet block - I am pretty sure I can tell that apart, Nick ;-) Raining now, but based on collective input above, I will try this hitch:

IMG_4438.jpg
    Look at this wear pattern.

Take that bight up and jam it between the block and the falls where they enter the swallow. Much easier to tie, and becomes more secure as the load on the sheet increases.

As I recall the Dutch call this a hook block. They do come in handy.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Look at this wear pattern.

Take that bight up and jam it between the block and the falls where they enter the swallow. Much easier to tie, and becomes more secure as the load on the sheet increases.
    Trouble is you'll never be able to free it under load, just when you may need to. Also tied off that way the hook is redundant. You could do it with any block. The wear pattern just tells me someone has been doing it wrong. The photo above with the bight on the side of the hook is correct, and is what I tried to describe earlier.

Last edited by Phil Y; 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Trouble is you'll never be able to free it under load, just when you may need to. Also tied off that way the hook is redundant. You could do it with any block. The wear pattern just tells me someone has been doing it wrong. The photo above with the bight on the side of the hook is correct, and is what I tried to describe earlier.

Of course you can free it, just pull on the tail to pull the loop free as with Phillippea's tucked bow. Do you really think that it would have worn such a deep groove in a few times doing it wrong? With the hauling part coming down from the boom, again as in Phippea's picture. you must have the horn to pass it round, just like the lower horn of a cleat.

By the way, the coble crews in the NW of England also choked the hauling part in the swallow of the block to secure their sheet if they were on a long board and did not want to hold it in the hand.
    Scan_20190612.jpg

I don't want to clog up this thread with a continuing debate. I think the OP has enough info to be going on with. Looks like a nice piece of hardware. Much better than a modern cam cleat schlepped onto a traditional block.

Oosterschelde (sp) has some blocks like that. Anybody got an "in" to the community or her crew? I bet they could help.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-