Thread: Boat status!

Default Boat status!

It's been quite a long time since I posted anything on boats. Truth be told I have not sailed much at all over the past couple of years, and only races two or three times. I have some physical limitations that will keep me from being in a boat for more than a couple of hours at a time, and make it difficult to concentrate when I am able to go. But that's enough of that. A status:

Fish #8: I sold my Fish to a well-known Pensacola sailor and a gentleman from Norway who owns one of the most beautiful classic 8mR's in the world. It's a long story, but the boat is being brought back to Bristol standards and will be very well taken care of moving forward.

210: I gave my 210 to a friend from my youth who had moved to Florida years ago and wound up losing everything in the hurricane last fall. He does boat repair and refinishing and will be a good steward for the boat.

Finn: I donated my old Finn to the yacht club fleet.

Dragon USA278: it's listed for sale right now on multiple sites. I will sell her and hang on to the wooden Dragon.

Now the good news: I am about to buy a small boat called an AMF2100. It's a 21' (6.3 metres), 2200 pound (one tonne) daysailor/handicap racer, which will allow me to sail by myself or with a couple of friends. I can keep it in the water all the time, or on it's trailer. It is supposedly a very fine light air sailor, which is what we need around here. It's got a 'lifting keel' (a daggerboard) and a kick up rudder, so it can be beached. It's got a little outboard, which my wife is worried about me using, but the way the bracket is mounted should make it pretty easy for me to set the motor.

I still have my Handy Cat and will keep her and the wooden Dragon, and now this boat. I am so looking forward to sailing again. I miss it so much.

I will let you know how it goes.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: Boat status!

Sounds good! Have fun, Mickey!

Welcome back!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Glad to hear you'll be back on the water!

^ +1 - Good to read this update, Mickey !!!

Rick
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 06-11-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added information

Glad you were able to sort out finding good homes for some of those old and special boats to you.

Hope you get some good sailing in, but it seems too hot to even think about sailing down there right now.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You have to go early in the morning before the land breeze dies off, but you can get in a little sailing. Or hope the seabreeze comes in the afternoons, but I didn't really buy it for the summertime. And I did buy it, by the way. It's a bit of a departure from the classic boats I have always loved and there's not a stick of wood on it, but it's what I need right now and it'll keep me sailing for the next few years until I retire. At that point we might look for something in the 30'-36' range and maybe keep it at Pirate's Cove.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'