Thread: Oclular Migraine

Default Oclular Migraine

To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Default Re: Oclular Migraine

Yes, from the age of about 15. (I'm 56 now.)

I didn't have a clue what it was the first time it occurred. Scared the stuffing out of me. The disruption started close to my centre of vision and spread out over the next twenty minutes or so. A huge headache followed. Then I was spectacularly sick, and subsequently felt 100%.

I got them maybe 10-12 times a year until my twenties, when they went away. In my 40s they returned, perhaps twice a year, but much less intense - the light show would be five minutes, no headache, no sickness.

Today, I find them fascinating: it's a real insight (!) into how the brain is processing what the eyes are sending it, and what happens when there's a snafu in the back of the head.

Triggers? "End-of-stress" - I'm fine when stressed, they kicked in when I knew that the stressful period (whether mental or physical) was over. Others report food triggers, and I've had them kick in with dark chocolate, rarely, and cheese, very rarely.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

I had 'traditional 'migraine from when I can remember till in my early 20's. It haunted my school years, effected my performance, dulled my reaction times. When I got one it would go on for days, an opiate was prescribed which worked but effected me physically.
    Then I went to an acupuncturist, largely by serendipitous accident. He diagnosed my problem even though I did not have a migraine at the time. I think 10 treatments later I was free of the problem, I'm now 76 and have not had one since. A friend at the time would lose his sight for some hours, similar treatments cured his problem but took longer. OTOH I have a friend here for whom life is a day to day proposition. She never knows when she goes to sleep whether she'll be able to leave the house, or get out of bed for that matter next day.

I seem to get them after strenuous work but not often and rarely with a headache. Only found out tonight what it was called.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Blood pressure behind the eye? Maybe I did get a bit of it, I can remember fascinating patterns and colours with my eyes closed. Some music brings on colours for me, but that I think is Synisthesia, or some such. If there's no colour it's noise not music.

I don't know.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

From the link:
    So, what the heck is going on? It’s not certain but what is believed to happen is that for some reason the blood vessels in the visual cortex (the very back of your brain… about as far from your eyes as you can get and still be in your head) shrink way down and not as much blood is getting through as before. This lack of blood flow means your brain can’t function the way it would like and you start to experience really bizarre things in your vision. It takes your brain, usually, about 20 minutes to figure out this isn’t normal at which point the blood vessels do one of two things. They either return to their normal size, blood flow returns to normal levels and you stop feeling like you ate a brownie you shouldn’t have OR the blood vessels expand to their maximum size stretching themselves to be as big as they can. It’s that extreme stretch that causes the horrible pain people experience with migraines. In some cases the vision changes can last longer than 20 minutes. This usually occurs if someone completely panics causing an adrenaline surge. The resulting stress levels can cause the visual changes to linger for about an hour.
    Here’s the real kicker. There’s not much you can do about this. We think that all those blood vessel antics are caused by the same things that cause migraines… so, almost anything (certain smells or foods, weather patterns, stress, lack of sleep. The list goes on and on). Migraine medication can be helpful if a person is getting ocular migraines all the time and it’s seriously interfering with their life but otherwise we just recommend that a person sit back and enjoy the show for 20 minutes. If you’re driving it is strongly recommended to pull over and wait it out. These vision changes are temporary and do not cause any damage to your eyes or your brain.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

I get them off and on. Starts slowly in my right eye. My first real indication is that I can't read due to the blind spot. My vision then goes away in that eye until it almost gone and then it starts to return. As it returns I get a creeping numbness that starts on the right side of my face and slowly works it's way down to my right hand. Once that is done, I am fine. It can take a few hours.

I also found that Aged Cheese is a trigger for me. I once had some really good cheese (I forget what type) and less than 20 minutes later not only did I have a migraine, but it was such a bad one I forgot how to form words. It happened at work and my co-workers covered for me rather than sending me home. they just stuffed me in a dark back storage room and one stayed with me until I showed signs of recovery.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I beat my migraines by changing my diet and a few other things:

Hydrate more
    Eat the same amount of foods six times a day, not three to keep my blood sugar level more stable
    Magnesium pills
    Eliminated all caffeine
    I eat more protein now, FWIW
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

I get them periodically. Minus the headache. I was visiting my sister-in-law when her brother-in-law, also visiting, suffered his first. He's an architect, and was about to get seriously freaked out when I explained to him what was happening. After about 20 minutes he was able to determine that I wasn't bs'ing him.

Back when I was pushing pencil on a drawing board, when they'd strike I would be unable to see the pencil point. I could see the line I was drawing, and I could see where where I wanted the line to end, but I could not see the point, the working end of the line. I'd just draw, stopping the line approximately where it needed to stop.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

I had an altitudinal hemianopsia once, scared the crap out of me.

images.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I beat my migraines by changing my diet and a few other things:

Hydrate more
    Eat the same amount of foods six times a day, not three to keep my blood sugar level more stable
    Magnesium pills
    Eliminated all caffeine
    I eat more protein now, FWIW
    Interesting! I sometimes get jagged stripes etc. at the edges of my vision which I found to be hypoglycemic in origin. Protein and stabilising blood sugars seems to work for me, and can quite quickly overcome the symptoms.

I think it is somewhat different from what is being described above.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Yep, gotmy own northern lights.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

My mother said that she got migraines without the headache. I don't know what her symptoms were though. We lived 450 miles apart at that time.

About 20 years ago, I called my wife (a family doc) to tell her I had a large scintillating ball of light floating in front of me, and it was freaking me out. "You're about to get a terrible headache," she said. "Enjoy your afternoon, I'll pick up milk on the way home." And so it came to pass.

I'd had regular migraines since I was a kid, but this is the first migraine scotoma I'd ever had, and I haven't had one since. Very odd.

I read once that the nerves for the center of your vision are on the outside of the optic nerve, and the nerves for the periphery of your vision are on the inside of the optic nerve.
    As I understand it, scotomas originate in the visual cortex, way back in the occipetal lobes. Not sure if that's true, but it's what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    My mother said that she got migraines without the headache. I don't know what her symptoms were though. We lived 450 miles apart at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    That might be the aura alone, without pain. That's what I get.
    yes, same here. My Sister gets the pain. When she comes down with a migraine, it sidelines her for a day or two
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Had cluster headaches for 30 years. Now I occasionally get this type. Still makes me cringe waiting for the pain to start.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Interesting! I sometimes get jagged stripes etc. at the edges of my vision which I found to be hypoglycemic in origin. Protein and stabilising blood sugars seems to work for me, and can quite quickly overcome the symptoms.

I think it is somewhat different from what is being described above.
    I have similar symptoms and suffer from hypoglycemia. How did you make the connection? Any other information you can provide?

Thanks - Gary

I hadn’t realised how common this was, so I’m glad I started the thread. Ive been suffering a number of mild headaches over the past couple of weeks that I have attributed to two things. One is the passing of my good friend Peter Sibley and the other is a habit I have of stressing about jobs I need to do but am not getting done. Over thinking I guess you could call it.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Anne does the stressing for me about jobs I should do but aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Anne does the stressing for me about jobs I should do but aren't.
    When Kerry mentions some job that she would like done i ask her what level of priority she would like to give it.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

For some reason mine (no headache, fortress aura only) have increased lately. Had a couple days in a row recently, and generally two or three a month. Previously they were maybe once every year or two. But my ophthalmologist assures me there is no danger, just a very minor inconvenience. And I am definitely not hypoglycemic.

Well, thanks a heap guys!
    I hadn't had one of these in weeks. I read this thread yesterday and guess what.

It could be that a couple of stressy weeks (and two to come) with rough sleep will do that to me, but I'm going to blame you. Cos I can and I'm in that sort of mood.