Thread: Lakebay Marina

Default Lakebay Marina

"Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Default Re: Lakebay Marina

I’ve never been there but have wanted to visit. It looks beautiful but the reputation of the place has steered me away. Too bad - it would be nice to see the owner get his act together (probably too late for that) or have someone else with better business sense take it over.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I suspect the real problem is the rich people who have infested the shoreline in recent decades.
    Gentrification.
    The chap took over a historic , crumbling old joint. His problems with code violations will be relentless.
    Consider how much money was spent on "saving" Eddon Boat in Gig Harbor. It is still there, but is a shadow of an actual boat building shop.
    Environmental lip service.
    I've been gassing up there for 20 years. Before Mark got it , the place was super clapped out. The attempt at improvement is very obvious over the last 8 years or so.
    Alas, There are a lot of not so wealthy folk on the peninsula (884 land) who live in the woods, not on the shoreline,and they congregate there on weekend nights for music and dancing.
    Then there is the crime of sleeping aboard your boat.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.

I had my first sailboat there for first few years of living here. When Mark bought the marina I was hopeful, thinking that he better has LOTS of money for work that needed to be done. Didn't realized how hard it is to get permits to do anything on shoreline.
    Marina neighbors were relentlessly calling the county on perceived code violations at the marina. Power was cut off to the marina few weeks ago....I hope Mark can still turn this around, but at this point does not look good at all....

Sailboat moving 374.jpg
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Regarding the infestation of rich people vs. the liveaboards... Well as an ex-liveaboard of many years I'm firmly on the side of the liveaboard community. At the same time I have to acknowledge that the members of that community frequently do themselves no favors by dumping sewage into the water, by letting their boats fall into disrepair and sink, and by generally becoming a public nuisance. It's a thin line between quaint bohemian living and mere squalor.

I don't know Mark, have never visited Lakebay, and have no axes to grind. It would be great to see the marina become a nice cruising destination without being gentrified. But I think "better business sense" includes the ability to play well with the neighbors and the powers that be, regardless of what petty injustices may come from that accommodation. It appears that the current owner has not been successful in that effort and now the gods of commerce and wealth will not be kind.
    - Chris

No axes here either.
    When dealing with my bulkhead permits, a county official told me that a lot of calls they are getting from boaters (kayakers) passing by and reporting what in their perception is an illegal building activities.
    Anyway, I just wanted to have a working marina 5 minutes from home
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

A throw back to the fifties and sixties when you visit.
    The old green milkshake machine, pretty young girl making burgers on a grill to order, pints of bottled micro brew in the old school fridge, gas pump with a side handle.
    We cannot have these things.
    I predict condos there in 10 years .
    Remember Steilacoom Marina?
    Zittles will be next.
    Boston Harbor is doing well I hope.
    Gig Harbor is fried.

I've been to the marina too. I loved the character and there was a certain kind of energy there. I also recall a blatant disregard for safety in certain spots, which I found refreshing compared to some of the more polished marinas, but I also worried for the kids who worked there.

It will be sad to see it replaced with something polished. I think we've got enough of that. But if we don't step up to save an old Mosquito Fleet holdover, who will?
    Last edited by Bruce Bateau; 06-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    A throw back to the fifties and sixties when you visit.
    The old green milkshake machine, pretty young girl making burgers on a grill to order, pints of bottled micro brew in the old school fridge, gas pump with a side handle.
    We cannot have these things.
    I predict condos there in 10 years .
    Remember Steilacoom Marina?
    Zittles will be next.
    Boston Harbor is doing well I hope.
    Gig Harbor is fried.
    Yep - that's a place I'd like to visit. Heck, that's a place I'd like to live! But I doubt it's possible. It's gonna be all Poet's Cove-style resorts and tacky condos from here on out. Sigh.
    - Chris

Soon enough most boats will be dry stored. Launched and retrieved every time you want to go out, and stored inland, in an industrial parking lot. It won't work well for wooden boats. And it won't be cheap. Less than a marina berth though. And no marine growth.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

There's a story I wrote about the marina a few years ago. I'm going to share a shortened version of it here in installments, not to bore you folks too much:

Part 1

Me and four of my sail and oar friends arrived as part of a weekend cruise. We were nearing the gangway to the restaurant, walking carefully to avoid missing planks and splintery boards, when a sun-baked man appeared and made his offer.

“Hey,” said the man, “You wanna buy a motor cruiser?”

The man had reddish, slightly overcooked skin. I squinted at him there on the rickety dock, clad in a bandana, shorts, and a ratty T-shirt. Behind him, perched on pilings, stood a 1900s-era wooden building- the smell of deep friend foods wafted down to us.

He had clearly misjudged his audience.

My friends and I glanced at the for-sale sign affixed to a 1960’s-era boat with a small cabin. It had a few graceful lines, but was clearly past its prime—much like the man before us. Was that boat even his? I glanced at my buddies, who were clearly wondering the same thing. As we sat eating French fries and sipping cool beverages, we speculated aloud about the man’s story. Was he for real? Or maybe he had a few too many drinks?

Later that night at the adjacent state park, a cotton candy-colored sky made a spectacular backdrop for after dinner drinks and storytelling. Drifting off to sleep, I thought about that forlorn assemblage of rickety buildings and docks, and the odd man who’d accosted us there. I couldn’t help feeling that there was something off kilter about that place.
    Last edited by Bruce Bateau; 06-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.

I was there in Bingo yesterday.
    Boats are still in slips, cars are parked near the cabins, but the store and gas pump are closed.
    Chatted with a marina resident, who said Mark is not even allowed there now.

Part 2

Come morning, a damp marine layer had settled in and the tide was on the move. To get back to our starting point, we’d need to ride that tide through narrow, rocky Pitt Passage.

We were a little late and the current had started to turn in the wrong direction. The first sailors to reach the passage tacked back and forth and made slow headway, but they made headway, bucking currents and watching for eddies. Perseverance paid off for three of us, who made it through the passage and gathered just out of the current’s reach.

Only our friend Eric was left behind. His new boat wasn’t tuned well enough to make it through. Using binoculars, we watched him reach a navigation marker and throw a line around its base to wait out the tide.

“Well, I guess there’s nothing we can do,” someone said glumly, and we set sail again.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I was there in Bingo yesterday.
    Boats are still in slips, cars are parked near the cabins, but the store and gas pump are closed.
    Chatted with a marina resident, who said Mark is not even allowed there now.
    The owner can't come on his own property?

Part 3

An hour later we were surprised to see that Eric had nearly caught up with us. How had he pulled that off? We’d left him early in the tide cycle, without a motor, waiting out a three-knot current that shouldn’t have changed for several hours.

Later, when we gathered at the ramp, Eric explained that a woman in a kayak had paddled out to ask if he wanted a tow from a friend of hers with a motor boat.

“I know you won’t believe this,” he said. “But when the motor boat arrived, guess who was driving it? That sunburned guy from the marina.”

As I drove homeward, I thought about how important it is to treat everyone with dignity, even if you think they’re a little odd. You never know when you may run into them again—or need their help.

Nice story

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Nice one Bruce. I was not expecting that twist at all. And a useful reminder as well. I too have been caught out by my assumptions in the past.
    - Chris

Epilogue

A few days later, Eric e-mailed us. He’d exchanged contact information with the sun-baked man, and on the previous day, the guy had called. Busy with something, Eric let it go to voicemail. Moments later, according to the media reports, a man of the same description allegedly fired off a shotgun from a cabin cruiser at the resort, launching a four-hour standoff with the local sheriff.

“I wonder what would have happened,“Eric ended, “if I had only picked up that phone?”

Point of clarification - there were two Eric's on the trip of which Bruce speaks. 'Twas not me, but the other that lassoed the piling in Pitt Passage. I was near the back of the pack and was also nailed by the current not far into the passage, by which time with a fresh breeze on the nose, sailing proved futile. I ferried to the near shore and kissed the shingle with my oarblades the rest of the way through Pitt. Worked pretty well.

Back then to the sun baked man and what might have been. Eric's email was a jolt. Lakebay was kind of a nuthouse, I think it was a holiday weekend.
    Eric H

Lakebay Marina Resort

27 mins

With a vote 9-0 we are officially listed on the Washington Heritage Register of Historic Places!
    Thank you so much Cathy Williams and everyone else who helped us achieve this significant milestone. We plan on opening July 4th pending instalation of a commercial water heater. Significant electric work has been done over the past month and we're beyond excited to get open. Hope to see everyone soon! Thank you

^ This is great news for Lakebay Marina. I wish they could have been open when the SALISH 100 passed through last week.

from not being allowed on his own property .....to reopening on July 4th......excellent!! Go Lakebay Marina!!
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Fingers crossed that this has a happy ending.
    - Chris

https://www.facebook.com/christine.a...7751215687033/

here's a vid I picked up on FB, I do not know the videographer or the people

Encouraging video clip! I hate to see small marinas like that vanish. I've never had a chance to cruise the area and hope to be able to some day.

Looks like a really nice place. The sort of marina I remember from when I was a kid. Definitely on my list of places to visit.
    - Chris