Thread: Gulf Coast Luggers

Default Gulf Coast Luggers

the-lugger_orig.jpg

This photo (http://www.msmohp.com/uploads/2/0/0/...ugger_orig.jpg) is from this page http://www.msmohp.com/gulf-coast-fishing-boats.html

I was wondering if anyone might have some more insight into this lineup of fishing boats. They are all lug rigged and all built for oysters. Apparently all of them were workable boats, so what is the sites expert opinion on the economic causes of the boat designs? Why only one scow? Why do a few have such bluff bows? How does the same water, same task, same rig, same time (1903) and roughly the same size favor such radically different hulls? Why wasn't one design clearly favored as "better" for Gulf Coast oyster tonging?

Default Re: Gulf Coast Luggers

Because that's the way it is with people, different ideas and they all work.

Much depends on the cultural background of the fishermen and builders, as well as the conditions and wave patterns of the waters being fished and navigated.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

AFIK there were only two areas in the US that had lug rigged boats, the Mississippi area and San Francisco Bay. The former was a French area and the latter Italian, both bringing over their native rigs.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    AFIK there were only two areas in the US that had lug rigged boats, the Mississippi area and San Francisco Bay. The former was a French area and the latter Italian, both bringing over their native rigs.
    Were the 'Frisco boats not lateen rigged?

So that makes only one?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Were the 'Frisco boats not lateen rigged?

So that makes only one?
    Yeah, Lateen they were. Brain isn't working today.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

I know Chapelle says that the scows emerged because they were more economical than the other regional boats, so that would be a strong case for building them. But the hull shape of the lugger is still pretty much the same today, sans the centerboard and theyre still the most commonly used boat in oystering. So it seems that they were the favored design for the waters. I saw a big lugger south of New Orleans (where I live) built in 1918 a few months ago. She was still fishing till recently and Unfortunately the owner had fiberglassed her hull recently. I got to crawl under the deck and all looked to be in very good condition. Really old cypress. With almost imperceivable ring count. And with the cabin removed, all open to the rain and unpainted. The true oldrowth cypress was really special stuff. The local builders say you don’t even have to paint it and it will never rot. I doubt she’s got too long though now that her hull is glasses and her top is off. I’ll try to post photos. I know it’s tricky to do that correctly on here...

When you see wooden water tanks on the roofs of multistory buildings, you are looking at cypress. Pretty much rot proof as long as it is kept wet.
    Ben Fuller