Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 53

Thread: Republicans Against the Constitution

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    47,793

    Default Republicans Against the Constitution

    [IMc - I read about this a few months ago but don't recall it being up on this Forum. My often incompetent search methods did not show a thread. If this is a repeat, apologies. This essay is passionate about the freedoms in our Constitution, but even right wing people must admit that Judge Rushing's record shows that she will not uphold the law.]

    Senate Confirms Dangerous Religious Extremist Allison Rushing As Federal Judge
    MARCH 6, 2019 BY MICHAEL STONE

    More of that Christian theocracy: Allison Rushing, a dangerous religious extremist and former warrior for an anti-LGBT hate group, has been confirmed to a lifetime appointment as a federal judge.

    Rushing was confirmed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit by the Senate earlier this week on a 53-44 party-line vote, with all present Democrats voting against her, and all present Republicans voting for her.

    The confirmation makes Rushing, 37, the youngest federal judge in the country, and also one of the most dangerous.

    Before being confirmed Rushing worked for the Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian organization that has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

    In her writings, she has rejected the separation of church and state while arguing that “village secularists” and other “offended observers” should not be allowed to challenge government actions that violate the Establishment Clause which guarantees the separation of church and state.

    The Freedom From Religion Foundation reports:

    … in 2005 Rushing penned an article for Engage, The Federalist Society’s journal, entitled “Nothing to Stand On: ‘Offended Observers’ and the Ten Commandments,” written in conjunction with a senior counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund (now Alliance Defending Freedom), an organization that the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated a hate group. In it, Rushing argued that “offended observers” should never be allowed a day in court to challenge government actions that violate the Establishment Clause, leaving citizens completely unable to hold the government accountable even for some clear constitutional violations.

    Rushing’s article is openly hostile to those she pejoratively labeled “village secularists” who had “eggshell sensitivities” because they were offended by large religious monuments on government land.

    It is clear, the secular organizations’ letter contends, that Rushing cannot be trusted to give secularists a fair hearing in any Establishment Clause case, noting similar instances when Rushing has labelled plaintiffs whom she disfavors as merely “offended.”

    A letter signed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the Secular Coalition of America, the Center For Inquiry, and American Atheists; and addressed to Chairman Grassley and Senate Judiciary Committee Members, notes that “Rushing has demonstrated a hostility towards secular Americans,” and that “Rushing reverse engineers results that privilege religion and violate the Constitution.”

    As for Rushing’s virulent anti-gay stance, Sharon McGowan, Legal Director and Chief Strategy Officer of Lambda Legal, notes that Rushing has demonstrated a commitment to “recriminalize homosexuality and sterilize the transgender community.”

    McGowan issued the following statement after the U.S. Senate confirmed Rushing:

    Throughout her brief legal career, Allison Rushing has supported and closely associated herself with one of the most extreme anti-LGBT organizations operating in this country today, the Alliance Defending Freedom. Rather than disqualifying her from consideration, this aspect of her record seems to have made up for all of the other deficiencies in her record, including her inexperience and he lack of any connection to the state in which she will sit.

    Despite her denunciation of the Supreme Court’s marriage equality decision in United States v. Windsor, and her commitment to ADF’s mission to recriminalize homosexuality and sterilize the transgender community, all 53 Republican Senators voted to confirm her. Today is a very difficult and disappointing day for the roughly 1 million LGBT people who live in the states covered by the Fourth Circuit, and for all people who care about courts that can treat all people with dignity and fairness.

    Bottom line: In a party-line vote Republicans confirmed Allison Rushing, President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and a dangerous religious extremist who rejects the separation of church and state and has expressed a commitment to “recriminalize homosexuality and sterilize the transgender community.”

    https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...fZVzFZhDZ3XNGg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    56,812

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    recriminalize homosexuality and sterilize the transgender community.

    Sounds rather familiar to me, where in recent history have I seen those words before?

    Good luck .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    28,869

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    The U.S. Constitution provides for the impeachment and removal from office of Federal Judges. Article III states: "The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour...." So there is a chance that wresting control of the White House and the U.S. Senate from the corrupt Republicans would allow for people of good will to clean up the messes created by Trump and McConnell.

    The solution to the problem is to show up at the polls and vote against every Republican running for office at every level.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

    "Thanks to FOX, talk radio, and the internet, the truth is available to all." -- mdh



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    52,862

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    It’s like Trump is doing to the judiciary what Fox News did to the MSM news coverage.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    The U.S. Constitution provides for the impeachment and removal from office of Federal Judges. Article III states: "The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour...." So there is a chance that wresting control of the White House and the U.S. Senate from the corrupt Republicans would allow for people of good will to clean up the messes created by Trump and McConnell.

    The solution to the problem is to show up at the polls and vote against every Republican running for office at every level.
    I believe that the reason these seditious, anti-American monsters have become so blatant is that they can smell victory.

    80% of Americans oppose overturning Roe V Wade.

    80% of Americans favor saner gun policy.

    80% of Americans favor higher taxes on the rich.

    The list goes on.

    The 'Republican' Party has figured out how to impose its shriveled, heartless, greed-driven New Feudalsim on the rest of us, and the moment when this may be stopped without a major bloodletting is quickly passing us by.

    Soon after that, the moment when this may be stopped with a major bloodletting will pass.

    They know this.






    Stand up, people.



    You know that scene in all the action movies where the hero is under fire? The one where she has to tell herself 'if you don't move, you die'?



    This is that moment.
    Rattling the teacups.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FLorida
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    The U.S. Constitution provides for the impeachment and removal from office of Federal Judges. Article III states: "The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour...." So there is a chance that wresting control of the White House and the U.S. Senate from the corrupt Republicans would allow for people of good will to clean up the messes created by Trump and McConnell.
    That's the sad and scary part. These extremist judges are going to force a reckoning on the judicial branch. There is no way that happens in the current partisan politics without turning into an absolute witch hunt by both sides, and in the process destroying all semblance of an impartial judiciary.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    19,772

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Does the ACLU have the right to sue a judge over his display of the Ten Commandments simply because one of its members finds the display offensive? Does a federal court have the constitutional authority to order the removal of the Ten Commandments merely because an ACLU member finds their public display demeaning?
    Yes. Offensive to and demeaning of my rights, and the ethical foundation of my government.

    The individual has a right to a state separated from the church at least as fundamental as the individual right to keep and bear arms.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    9,477

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Under His Eye.

    We are moving towards a truly dystopian future the likes of which we’ve only seen on TV and the big screen. I’m really hoping that women, minorities and the LGBT community will get out and vote in 2020. Their safety and well being depends on it.
    I’m sure many residents of Germany, Chile, and Spain didn’t think it could happen in their respective countries either. Many Americans likely believe that sort of thing couldn’t possibly happen in 2019.
    We are seeing the beginnings of it right now. Once it progresses beyond a certain point the police and the military will side with the extremists. They always have, it’s what they are programmed to do.
    It needs to be stopped BEFORE it gets to the tipping point, and the way to do that is to vote.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    the hyperbole is THICK this morning. keep it up fellas, you're half way through with an SNL skit script.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Under His Eye.

    We are moving towards a truly dystopian future the likes of which we’ve only seen on TV and the big screen. I’m really hoping that women, minorities and the LGBT community will get out and vote in 2020. Their safety and well being depends on it.
    I’m sure many residents of Germany, Chile, and Spain didn’t think it could happen in their respective countries either. Many Americans likely believe that sort of thing couldn’t possibly happen in 2019.
    We are seeing the beginnings of it right now. Once it progresses beyond a certain point the police and the military will side with the extremists. They always have, it’s what they are programmed to do.
    It needs to be stopped BEFORE it gets to the tipping point, and the way to do that is to vote.
    Exactly.

    The 'Republican' Party is playing the 'It can't happen here' card to the hilt.

    Not only CAN it happen, but IT IS HAPPENING.
    Rattling the teacups.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    and oz dumps a bag of corn starch in the mix.... can't be TOO THICK guys

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    the hyperbole is THICK this morning. keep it up fellas, you're half way through with an SNL skit script.
    Just because you love the fascist Rule of Men and reject the liberal democratic Rule of Law that doesn't make you right.

    OR American.
    Rattling the teacups.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Just because you love the fascist Rule of Men and reject the liberal democratic Rule of Law that doesn't make you right.

    OR American.

    and delusional tinfoil rantings doesn't make you right or american.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    and oz dumps a bag of corn starch in the mix.... can't be TOO THICK guys
    Doing your job to spread the 'It can't happen here' bullspit.

    Pitiful.

    You will miss your freedoms when they are gone.
    Rattling the teacups.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    and delusional tinfoil rantings doesn't make you right or american.
    The fact that you have either buried your head in the sand or have chosen to abet this treason does not make me delusional.
    Rattling the teacups.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Doing your job to spread the 'It can't happen here' bullspit.

    Pitiful.

    You will miss your freedoms when they are gone.

    it's the lunatics on the left trying to erode your freedoms at the moment. safe spaces, censorship on social media, hate speech... get your own house in order and pull the log out of your own eye.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    52,862

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    trolling, trolling, trolling, rawhide!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    it's the lunatics on the left trying to erode your freedoms at the moment. safe spaces, censorship on social media, hate speech... get your own house in order and pull the log out of your own eye.
    The 'Left'?

    There is no 'Left' in US politics.

    You have been conditioned to be terrified of sane policy.
    Rattling the teacups.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    2,928

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Steve

    Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    The 'Left'?

    There is no 'Left' in US politics.

    You have been conditioned to be terrified of sane policy.


    speech restriction is sane policy?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    speech restriction is sane policy?
    Non-sequitur much?
    Rattling the teacups.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Non-sequitur much?

    you're talking rights being restricted. how is that not following your buffoonery logic train?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    53,295

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Alan, while there are certainly a few lunatics on the left, exactly how has your speech been restricted? Please be specific. Tell us exactly what the 'lunatics on the left' have done that has impacted your constitutional rights.

    Honestly, I think you're making stuff up, or repeating nonsense you've heard as if it were truth. I could be wrong.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Alan, while there are certainly a few lunatics on the left, exactly how has your speech been restricted? Please be specific. Tell us exactly what the 'lunatics on the left' have done that has impacted your constitutional rights.

    Honestly, I think you're making stuff up, or repeating nonsense you've heard as if it were truth. I could be wrong.

    right now the purge that's happening on media hosting sites like facebook, youtube, instagram, and the like. and while i know you'll parrot the line "but that's a private company they can have their own rules" you know it's just the start. already in canada they have laws restricting word usage. as well in europe. right now on campuses these kids are polling as supporting speech restrictions in the us. you can whine about trump all day long about how he's "going to (insert fear of the day)" but he's one man, that i would gladly remove if he doesn't remove himself willingly after an election loss.

    but, you guys will keep on keepin on until you get your safe spaces. can't have any hurt feelings out there you know.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    you're talking rights being restricted. how is that not following your buffoonery logic train?
    Really?

    Do tell.

    Please be specific.
    Rattling the teacups.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Really?

    Do tell.

    Please be specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Doing your job to spread the 'It can't happen here' bullspit.

    Pitiful.

    You will miss your freedoms when they are gone.

    my freedoms are my rights.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    19,772

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    trolling, trolling, trolling, rawhide!
    ♫ Wishin' my gal was by my side ♫
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    19,772

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    while i know you'll parrot the line "but that's a private company they can have their own rules . . ."
    It's the law and that's a fact, Jack.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    28,869

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    .
    My guess is he has little respect for the WBF rules as well. Seeing as how they restrict his freedom of speech and all.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

    "Thanks to FOX, talk radio, and the internet, the truth is available to all." -- mdh



  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    14,121

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Rushing started at Williams & Connolly, made partner in 6 years which included time away doing her other work. That is pretty impressive. At 37, how she was able to get the 4th Circuit Federal Judgeship is equally impressive. She did that while being pregnant and giving birth in 2017. Rushing truly has friends in high places and possesses some real strengths.

    Her husband on the other hand,
    Blake Vincent Rushing, looks like a church going weasel who is ready to step abroad for another church going mission to Columbia, Costa Rica, Thailand or the Ukraine to proselytized some youth of those countries.


  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    my freedoms are my rights.
    Unless you are a US Citizen . . . or a citizen of pretty much any country on Earth.

    The thing which you seem to be so blissfully, willfully ignorant of is that the Constitution forbids the Government from stifling your right to free speech.

    The US Constitution has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else censoring your speech.

    None.

    When the Government starts telling you you can't say what you'd like, let me know.

    As it is, Ms. Rushing is adamantly opposed to the Establishment Clause. Thus, Ms. Rushing has no place in any position in government, much less a seat on a Federal Bench.

    This is sedition, plain and simple.

    And you love it.
    Rattling the teacups.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Unless you are a US Citizen . . . or a citizen of pretty much any country on Earth.

    The thing which you seem to be so blissfully, willfully ignorant of is that the Constitution forbids the Government from stifling your right to free speech.

    The US Constitution has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else censoring your speech.

    None.

    When the Government starts telling you you can't say what you'd like, let me know.

    As it is, Ms. Rushing is adamantly opposed to the Establishment Clause. Thus, Ms. Rushing has no place in any position in government, much less a seat on a Federal Bench.

    This is sedition, plain and simple.

    And you love it.

    and MY head is buried in the sand!!!


    you're lucky if we can still see your toes.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    52,862

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    keep them doggies rollin’

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29,342

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Unless you are a US Citizen . . . or a citizen of pretty much any country on Earth.

    The thing which you seem to be so blissfully, willfully ignorant of is that the Constitution forbids the Government from stifling your right to free speech.

    The US Constitution has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else censoring your speech.

    None.

    When the Government starts telling you you can't say what you'd like, let me know.

    As it is, Ms. Rushing is adamantly opposed to the Establishment Clause. Thus, Ms. Rushing has no place in any position in government, much less a seat on a Federal Bench.

    This is sedition, plain and simple.

    And you love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    and MY head is buried in the sand!!!


    you're lucky if we can still see your toes.
    Really?


    In what way does the Constitution protect your 'right' to get mouthy with Scot?



    Please be specific.
    Rattling the teacups.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,048

    Default Re: Republicans Against the Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Really?


    In what way does the Constitution protect your 'right' to get mouthy with Scot?



    Please be specific.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •