Thread: Deck grip. Rubberised or hard?

Default Deck grip. Rubberised or hard?

I'm approaching the day when I will put final paint down on my new deck.

Vascillating between 2 part International Perfection with deck grip granules. Super hard finish, sandpapery texture. Or Kiwigrip, which I think is a rubberised therefore softer, but more aggressive texture.

Any personal experience/preference?

Ease of application. Ability of first timer to get a half decent finish.

Effectiveness, grip and comfort underfoot, knees, bum.

Longevity and repair/patch ability.

Thanks.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

So a bit of googling tells me kiwi is not rubberised. Just a hard single part textured paint. Still, my indecision stands.

Default Re: Deck grip. Rubberised or hard?

Having had hard non-skid on my deck for year, next paint I'm going with this: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...ch--43760.html

Hard non-skid is about 32 grit sandpaper - great for traction, not so great for knees when wearing shorts.

Don't let the first price scare you - that's for 5 gallons of the additive - enough to do a goodly part of an aircraft carrier. My 50' boat with wide decks takes about a quart - maybe 2. I paint, then spread it on with a shaker, then paint again.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Have you actually used this product ? We were sent the product card / samples and I recall it got pretty pricey quick.

Cheers,
    Mark

I'm not all that concerned about the price. Unless it's little gold flakes. Cost of the deck finish will be but a fraction of what's gone into the new deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Have you actually used this product ? We were sent the product card / samples and I recall it got pretty pricey quick.

Cheers,
    Mark
    I haven't. I've seen/walked on decks with it though. I figured about $100 to do my boat. More than standard non-skid for sure, but less expensive than some of the premixed stuff out there & it lets me use my paint/color.

International perfection is supposed to give an ultra high gloss finish when applied by roll and tip, which from experience it does exceedingly well. It seems to me that high gloss is not what you want as part of your deck paint, so maybe consider other paints. Having experience with many deck finishes, my conclusion is that the more coarse the grit, the better the grip, but nothing beats a solid object such as a bulwark or a stanchion base for keeping yourself put on a heaving wet deck. A mates boat down at the yard used coarse aggregate under single pack top coat. It has held up well for a couple of years so far and is very grippy.

I'm wondering which one is easier to keep clean? Does the kiwi grip clean up well with a hose and a brush? Does the "sandpaper" finish hold dirt? Would like to hear some direct exp too. Cheers

I have 15+ years of experience with the 32 grit. I hope you realize that was a bit of poetic license - though long term kneeling will indeed leave one's knees red & sore.

Yes, it does show dirt - but I don't think it's all that different from smooth. Cleaning it requires just a bit more scrubbing with the brush than the smooth (my cabintops are smooth). My paint is Brightsides, which is pretty hard so I think that helps.

When do you plan on doing this ? We need to grip our deck this summer so would be interested to hear first hand experience. I just looked through my emails and it was ~ 4.5 quart per 100 square feet for the coarse broadcast... we have 500 square feet of so.....

Post photos !

Cheers,
    Mark

I use an Interlux additive that has the coarseness of fine sand, or table salt. I use less of it than they specify, it doesn't really require much grit to improve grip. I don't find it very hard on my clothes, though I generally sit on cushions. The stuff we used on CG Cutters was sharp and would wear right through your trousers.

When do you plan on doing this ? We need to grip our deck this summer so would be interested to hear first hand experience. I just looked through my emails and it was ~ 4.5 quart per 100 square feet for the coarse broadcast... we have 500 square feet of so.....

Post photos !

Cheers,
    Mark
    Not 'til next year - sorry.

You possibly can't get it outside the US, but I have been very happy with Sani-Tred. When I applied it to Marmalade's tired decks it was still the self-leveling version first made for shop and garage floors. Bit of a pain given the sweep of the shear line. Now they make the stuff with formulations that can even go overhead and it's found applications in pools, basements, and boats.

It is a little fussy. I'm not a pro but I got Marmalade's deck done ok. On Meg I have the newer version and it was applied by pros. Fantastic.

The smell is intense and lasts a while. If you can't work outdoors, provide plenty of forced ventilation and have personal air protection.

The non-skid is rubbery granules that are compatible with the glop so you get wonderful non-skid that won't shred your knees or void your foul weather gear's warentee. It's all but self-cleaning. Just use water.

G'luck

When you go to the amount of trouble you have with a new deck like you have, I would 2 pot paint it. They look best with gloss margins and will wash down nicely with them.
    I suppose you could do a hybrid job, 2 pot gloss margins and the rest kiwi grip.
    I like kiwi grip and have used a lot over the years, good product. But I'd prefer it wasn't in the scuppers.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    When you go to the amount of trouble you have with a new deck like you have, I would 2 pot paint it. They look best with gloss margins and will wash down nicely with them.
    I suppose you could do a hybrid job, 2 pot gloss margins and the rest kiwi grip.
    I like kiwi grip and have used a lot over the years, good product. But I'd prefer it wasn't in the scuppers.
    I always leave a 1" or so wide stretch along the bulwarks, the cabin side, & around all fittings. 1" masking tape is perfect for it. Just put a radius on all the corners: circle the right size (cup or whatever) & a razor blade.

I've heard that using sand is less than optimal because if and when it becomes necessary to sand it the sand is too hard and just wrecks the sandpaper.

Post photos !

Cheers,
    Mark
    Me or Garret? Anyway, I plan on doing this soon. Winter has just started here and the boat is in the water, so timing is weather dependent. I still have some filling and fairing and priming and sanding to do. Internationals instructions on that are entertaining or depressing, depending on my mood.

I do intend a gloss margin around cabins, hatches and toe rails, but not other fittings as they are not on yet, and I'm not quite sure where they will end up. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and firm up the position of some or all of them before I do the non skid, but I have a tendency to want to get on with the big stuff and leave the details to later. Something to do with instant gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I lean toward 2 pot for longevity. Kiwi to better cover imperfections. Everything else seems to be pretty much personal opinion. Although Kiwi seems easier to apply, particularly for a non skid virgin. I have been thinking 2 pot gloss all over, and then kiwi on top of that where I want grip. I guess I could save on 2 pot by just doing the margins, but it's probably just as easy to do a coat or two all over.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I use an Interlux additive that has the coarseness of fine sand, or table salt. I use less of it than they specify, it doesn't really require much grit to improve grip. I don't find it very hard on my clothes, though I generally sit on cushions. The stuff we used on CG Cutters was sharp and would wear right through your trousers.
    Thanks, I think thats the stuff I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I've heard that using sand is less than optimal because if and when it becomes necessary to sand it the sand is too hard and just wrecks the sandpaper.
    Yeah sand seems like a bad idea. I've heard of various home brews, like sand, or just sprinkling sugar over a wet top coat and then washing it off, to ground up walnut shells, to going over ordinary paint with a textured roller, to using domestic render finishes. Not planning to go down any of those paths.

Just to add my take on the options presented here: Definitely gloss waterways/margins, and with an eye toward breaking up large areas in to smaller, separated panels (for several reasons-but especially if doing the paint/sprinkle/overcoat sequence that I prefer). Kiwigrip I've used but wont again (I found it hard to control the final surface texture, harder to keep clean compared to two-pack, and a bit of a mess to sand away when the time comes [sort of like sanding latex] ). Awlgrip's Griptex (labelled coarse but its really only just enough) sprinkled with care over a rolled out section of topcoat (you really have to over-cover to get a nice even texture), then one or two coats over, is my favorite.

And, sand, no, for the sanding challenge when its time, and as it wears through the paint to sand it looks crummy. Awlgrip over Griptex gives us 5-6 years on a boat used for teaching (Oceanography/Marine Bio) ~ 140 days a year in the tropics.

Ive used similar approach with single part urathanes (Monopoxy, etc) and it goes about two years. This method gives a nice contrast between gloss and nonskid even when the color used is the same. Using the particles mixed in doesnt please me, less grip, less contrast in appearance between gloss margins and nonskid, less consistent appearance. Panels or sections have to be rolled out quick, and sprinkled with alacrity, and you use a lot of griptex-we've experimented with recovering the surplus and reusing, but havn't yet found the method.
    Last edited by Boatsbgood; 06-09-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: phpelling, clarity

Thanks boatsbgood, sounds like a bit real experience of a bit if everything.

Phil, go the 2 pot route because it’s the best finish but also because if you don’t like it you can put Kiwigrip over the top but you can’t do it the other way around without a lot of extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whatever rocks your boat

FWIW, I used kiwigrip when I built the Pathfinder. Dead easy to apply and get an even texture using their "special" roller, and still looked good when I sold it five years later. Though to be fair, it was stored in a garage. I cant really comment on grippiness compared to the other options, but I never went arse over quoit, even when it was wet.
    That doesn't really help, does it .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Phil, go the 2 pot route because it’s the best finish but also because if you don’t like it you can put Kiwigrip over the top but you can’t do it the other way around without a lot of extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good thinking