Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic car key rant

Default Electronic car key rant

When are we going to realize these are a bad idea?

-When she walks past our Audi to get into her old Toyota, the key in her purse unlocks the Audi without her knowing it then gets broken into by the regular thugs that prowl at 3:00 am trying every door handle on the street.

-My neighbor rides with me to morning coffee. On return while approaching his house, we see the lights on his wifeís Lexus blink. It unlocked because of the key in his pocket inside my car.

-Wifeís Audi key battery died, it wonít start the car. There is no ignition keyhole to start it mechanically. Good thing it didnít die in some parking lot somewhere.

-While in the coffee shop the other day, I looked out to see my friendís Tesla X gullwing door opening out into oncoming traffic. He had sat on the key while in the coffee shop.

-Several cars in our neighborhood have been rifled when the owner KNOWS the car was locked. The thugs have electronic means to unlock them.

-And of course lost keys now cost $350 instead of $3.50.

Time for a better idea.

Default Re: Electronic car key rant

Co-worker has that style key for his MINI. He had to drive to work with a wet ass because the sunroof opened on it's own in the rain because he bumped the key in his pocket.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Some of these rant of late sure seem first world problems.

Norm with his I only carry twenties and $100.00 bills.
    And now this high tech key rant!

Surprised the Trump rants seem to be decreasing, and these first world rants increasing. Correlation?

My late father-in-law was always drawn to the latest thing. Well into his 80s (and well past the time when he had become an oblivious menace on the road...) he decided he needed a Prius.

Shortly thereafter, he drove off on an errand with the key fob left on the kitchen table. The car started up just fine and drove across town, but was out of range when he returned to the parking lot.

Then he left the key in the pocket of his pants on laundry day - $350 to replace. So he decided to keep the key thingy in his wallet.

That worked pretty well until it molded into the leather, at which point he began to regularly 'butt dial' the car when he shifted in his chair. We would visit and find the car running in the garage, or the alarm blaring away, and he was too deaf to notice.

After one too many butt-dialed alarm cycles, the car wouldn't start. It was then that I learned of a small secondary battery buried in the rear of the cargo area that supplies the starter and accessories. It also powers the electronic latch that opens the rear hatch... What a pita to remove that for replacement.

I suppose some people like having a remote-control type key for their car, and I'm sure the manufacturers like saving money by going electronic rather than mechanical and up-selling it as a feature. But they haven't worked out all the bugs yet, and I'm not a fan.

- John

The newest additional electronic key idiocy : picked up a rental car. Everything was fine until we put something in the tunk. Oops, the trunk won't lock. Damn. Took it back and traded it for another. Later on, different car, same problem. Hmm.

Turns out, when you go near the trunk it unlocks automatically. Oh THAT'S certainly a good idea ! So now to check to see if the tunk is locked, you give the key to someone else and tell them to walk fifty feet away so you can give it a tug to make sure.

Stooooopid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post

Surprised the Trump rants seem to be decreasing, and these first world rants increasing. Correlation?

Nah - I've got to put up with the damn things in Thailand too. I bought a new Honda Click scooter about 6 months ago. Keyless start. Argh.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My 2012 Kia Soul (new to me a few months ago) is a stick shift; no electronic key system. No prob, right? Wrong! It has ONLY ONE key hole, in the driver's door. Dog likes to get in the rider's door (doesn't like to jump in unde my steering wheel). I have to manually unlock my door first, press the "everything unlock button", then take the dog around to the other side to let her in. Same thing with the back hatch; no keyhole there, neither. Can't retrofit electronic locks nor extra keyholes. PITA!

Works fine on the Ridgeline. Walk away car locks itself. Grab the door handle it unlocks.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I like my electronic key and keyless start. I do follow Ford’s advice and keep it in a tin box overnight, and I am very careful when I go sailing with it - it goes in a dry bag with the phone - but it has never given trouble and when I hired a car with old style key start it was a nuisance.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Maybe out Audi isn't new enough (2014) - but I have to touch the car to lock/unlock unless I press the button on the remote. Same thing with brand new cars I've rented. Never had one lock/unlock just by walking by.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Had a customer rent a canoe and they went into the water. Came back and couldn’t get into their BMW. $150 taxi ride home, $450 key.

Re: the Audi.

Do you have a VAG-COM interface? I bet you could get into the computer and turn that (automatic unlock) feature off with a laptop. We are currently VW-less (owing to my dis-pleasure over dieselgate) but when we had our TDI's, I was able to fine tune all the electronic features to our (my wife's ) likes with the help of the VAG-COM.

You just need the proper device and app on your phone and you can change the coding for your car.
    I use this on my BMW and it works fine. You can set almost all of the issues presented.
    https://www.mycarly.com/en/app/vag/

Otherwise you can pay your dealer through the teeth to code it for you.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

It's all nature's way of saying that money should be spent on old boats, not new cars.

I like mine. It doesn't unlock anything automatically - you have to stick your hand into the door-handle to unlock the car. It has a flip-out metal key in case the keyless function fails. I've had a similar system on three vehicles from two manufacturers, one Japanese and one German, and I've never had a problem. I keep the remote clipped to my belt and only take it off to change trousers.

(The only problem I can associate with using this system is the time I locked the keys in a rental car, because I'm so used to never having to think about keys, I forgot to think about the keys!)

What are you doing about it?

Or maybe a nice, dependable '70s vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by Wadsworth View Post
    Or maybe a nice, dependable '70s vehicle...
    That’s exactly why she walks past her 2015 Audi S5 on her way to her ‘87 Corolla which she much prefers to use. As to using the emergency pull out key, the only keyhole is in the driver’s door. Still can’t start the car.

i've never experienced any of these issues with our ford, chevy, or fca vehicles. . .

just say'n

but man those japanese and german import luxury vehicles sure do put the domestic big three to shame
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The profit on electric keys and replacements are quite nice for dealers and manufactures. I recently bought a second after once was lost into the ether. Nearly 300 out the door at Volkswagen.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

I have butt dialed my car alarm about once every couple of years - and usually at 6:30am to wake the neighbors. Arrrghhh. Also I don't leave anything of value in the car because said thugs prowl the neighborhood at 3am checking for unlocked cars.
    Will

I asked the dealer about this when I took delivery. Were my fob battery to fail or go for a swim etc, I'm to use the little metal "emergency" key to get into the car (or, far more likely, use the phone app), then press the little "on-call" button which will connect me to someone at the Mothership who will enable the car to start without the fob, and I'm on my way.

I have not yet had occasion to test this proposal.

My only gripe against the keyless fobs is that wifey and I now have the following conversation every time we arrive at destination in her car.
    W: Did you lock it?
    me: Nope.
    W: (sigh) please lock the car, I know it's not a bad neighborhood or anything but I left my purse in there.
    me: You have the key.
    W: No, you drove us here.
    me: Yes, but you never gave me the key, so you must have it.
    W: (rummaging coat pockets) no, I don't have it, stop being a dickhead and just lock the damn car.
    me: It's probably in your purse.

Every time.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Oystagirl doesn't drive, so I don't need to worry about that. (Instead I get the far greater worry of what we will do if I'm incapacitated while we're out somewhere, but I digress...)

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Every time.
    kat has key fob, i'm driving
    drop her at door of grocery she hops out
    car begins to bong
    she doesn't answer her phone and spends forty seven minutes grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post

Have to agree with you.

My car requires us to touch the handle to unlock. Or at least get closer than casual walking by or driving by. And it locks when you walk away. People need to read the manual.
    Life is complex.

People need to read the manual... particularly because most or all of these features can be disabled if you really don't like them.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

People need to read the manual... particularly because most or all of these features can be disabled if you really don't like them.
    ^^^^
    THIS!!!

There are so many user programmable options for the vehicle, it took me about a week to read the manual, do the first set-up and then find and change the settings I wasn't happy with. Certainly some need to be set in certain ways to comply with rules of the road in different places.

I bought a 2016 Honda Civic which comes with one of these keys and has a "START" button on the dash instead of a keyhole. I have a love/hate relationship with it - mostly it does everything I want, but there's a few things I don't like.

Walk up to the car and stick your hand in the driver's or passenger's door handle and the car unlocks. If you want to unlock it from a distance (or find it in the parking lot!) you can push a button to lock it or unlock it, remotely start it, or open the trunk. The car will display a message if the fob's battery is getting low so that you can replace it, but I've just thrown a spare set in the glove compartment so that if I am somewhere with a dead fob, I can change it. The fob has a metal key in it to get you access to the vehicle if the battery is dead in the car or the fob, so no issue there. When I walk away from the car the car locks itself, beeps and flashes lights in acknowledgement. The trunk has a button near the license plate to open it, but only if I have the fob - same for the gas cap cover - it only opens if you have the fob in range - about 3'.

My biggest worry is security - although with it being a Honda, it's probably not an issue - is folks sniffing for the signals and codes for the vehicle so that they can clone the key and take the car.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I asked the dealer about this when I took delivery. Were my fob battery to fail or go for a swim etc, I'm to use the little metal "emergency" key to get into the car (or, far more likely, use the phone app), then press the little "on-call" button which will connect me to someone at the Mothership who will enable the car to start without the fob, and I'm on my way.

My only gripe against the keyless fobs is that wifey and I now have the following conversation every time we arrive at destination in her car.
    W: (sigh) please lock the car, I know it's not a bad neighborhood or anything but I left my purse in there.
    W: (rummaging coat pockets) no, I don't have it, stop being a dickhead and just lock the damn car.

Every time.
    dang it, take the keys!

Every time.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

And most, if not all the cars have a way to open and start it with a dead key fob battery. Like you said, read the manual and program the car for your needs, and be aware of the dead fob start process.
    Tom

Every time.
    My car beeps incessantly if the person with the fob gets out of the vehicle while it is still running. If I accidentally try to lock the keys in the car, it throws a horn beeping, light flashing hissy fit.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

hmmmmmmm ..... and some people bitch about the Tesla doors

FWIW we have a proximity key for our Jeep, we've already lost one ( me ) and Renee and I have the same conversation with her all the time
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    My car beeps incessantly if the person with the fob gets out of the vehicle while it is still running. If I accidentally try to lock the keys in the car, it throws a horn beeping, light flashing hissy fit.
    See post #23

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    See post #23
    I don't want to disable them.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    hmmmmmmm ..... and some people bitch about the Tesla doors
    dorky as **** on the model 3

the model s doors are fine

<sigh> I guess one of these days I will have to get up-to-speed on all these new-fangled automotive security do-hickeys. "Till then, I'll just do what we all do around here - leave the car doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.