Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight Pride

Default Straight Pride

[IMc - Really?]

Everything You Need to Know About Boston's 'Straight Pride' Parade
    A group of Massachusetts conservatives are taking anti-LGBTQ trolling to new heights (or lows).

BY NEAL BROVERMAN
    JUNE 04 2019 6:26 PM EDT

A group of Boston conservatives say they've convinced city officials to greenlight a "straight pride" parade scheduled to take place August 31.

A group called Super Happy Fun America is organizing the event. The group's president, John Hugo, "started Super Happy Fun America in order advocate on behalf of the straight community," according to Super Happy Fun America's website. "He brings years of experience working in politics while living openly as a straight man." Vice President Mark Sahady "has been working on and speaking about social justice issues in the Boston area for several years. Now he has turned his focus on problems facing straight people of all income levels and social standing."

Super Happy Fun America even has a gay ambassador, Chris Bartley. "As gay ambassador, Chris uses his status in the LGBTQ community to challenge heterophobia wherever it exists. He became involved in the straight pride movement after being ostracized from established advocacy groups for merely suggesting that straight people be afforded equal rights."

Oddly, the group named LGBTQ rights advocate Brad Pitt as their mascot.

Hugo told The Washington Post that straight people are an "oppressed majority" and thus need an outlet to be themselves. Meanwhile, Sahady wrote on Facebook that, “For [LGBTQ people] everything is based upon identity and whether or not one is categorized as a victim or an oppressor. If you get victim status then you are entitled to celebrate yourself and expect those with oppressor status to defer to your feelings.”

Hugo is a Republican who made a failed run for Congress last year.

The parade will wend through downtown Boston — the same route the city's LGBTQ Pride event will follow — and feature floats and vehicles, according to the organizers. The men hope to fly a straight pride flag during the festivities and have filed a discrimination complaint with city officials to do so. A high-profile, but currently unnamed, gay conservative is also scheduled to speak at straight pride.

City officials are staying mum on the straight pride parade, instead emphasizing the importance of LGBTQ Pride in the place where U.S. marriage equality was born.

“Every year Boston hosts our annual Pride Week, where our city comes together to celebrate the diversity, strength and acceptance of our LGBTQ community,” Boston's Democratic mayor Marty Walsh told the Post in a statement. “This is a special week that represents Boston’s values of love and inclusion, which are unwavering.”

https://www.advocate.com/news/2019/6...NeWcX51tZ-C9zQ

Default Re: Straight Pride

Do they have a straight rainbow too?
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Who's going to be left on the curb to cheer the parade, the LGBTQ,s ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Who's going to be left on the curb to cheer the parade, the LGBTQ,s ?
    Bit of help here? What is the Q bit?

You go boys! Be proud of your manly selves!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

There is some debate about what the Q is. Some say Queer. Some say Questioning.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

“Super Happy Fun America”?

Reminds me of this...

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Tempest in a teapot. Liberals need to allow the majority to celebrate who they are just as the minority they support.

That is, unless it turns nasty...

Meh! I always thought the Super Bowl was Straight Pride Day.
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Tempest in a teapot. Liberals need to allow the majority to celebrate who they are just as the minority they support.

That is, unless it turns nasty...
    Unless? Isn't the whole problem that it already has turned nasty - to the point that the minorities in question need to assert that they're deserving of the same respect as everyone else and shouldn't be shamed or excluded?

The point of a "majority pride" event is - at best - to trivialize similar minority events. This isn't about affirming an identity in the face of opposition - nobody is shaming straight people for being straight.

RE: The OP: I saw a sticker like that on a car the other day and wondered what it was about. Now I know.

Methinks it's already turned nasty; it was nasty in its very conception.

Hugo told The Washington Post that straight people are an "oppressed majority" and thus need an outlet to be themselves.
    I'm as straight as they come, but this isn't about 'straight pride', it's about reviving the old anti-gay bullsh!t. But probably the best tactic is to ignore them.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    There is some debate about what the Q is. Some say Queer. Some say Questioning.

i'm glad it's not just me that can't keep up. so many dang letters these days.

It's not that hard you can keep up!

It's an open and inclusive coalition, all are welcome under the rainbow, including our many straight allies!
    Skip

It's not that hard you can keep up!

It's an open and inclusive coalition, all are welcome under the rainbow, including our many straight allies!

dang it, all this time i thought i was supposed to be somewhere OVER the rainbow. i'm just going to move back to kansas.

One area where homosexual parades go wrong, is how they like to bring out all the weird fetish side and dress up in bondage outfits parading in front of kids.

https://www.gaytravel4u.com/gay-events-june/

I get that people of all sexual orientations are into weird stuff, that's fine. But does your puppy boy outfit really describe your gay side, or your freak side?

Wonder if the straight pride folks are going to be wearing leashes?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Are you kiddin? All those strapping young men in lycra shortpants bent over in rows? The crowd really goes wild when they all get together in a big pile.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Are you kiddin? All those strapping young men in lycra shortpants bent over in rows? The crowd really goes wild when they all get together in a big pile.

Hello!!!!
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    One area where homosexual parades go wrong, is how they like to bring out all the weird fetish side and dress up in bondage outfits parading in front of kids.
    Are you kidding? That is the best part!!!
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

https://www.gaytravel4u.com/gay-events-june/

I get that people of all sexual orientations are into weird stuff, that's fine. But does your puppy boy outfit really describe your gay side, or your freak side?

Wonder if the straight pride folks are going to be wearing leashes?
    Let your freak flag fly!
    Nosce te ipsum

Louise Day Hicks and ROAR (Restore Our Alienated Rights) rise from the dead!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restor..._Rights_(ROAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Methinks it's already turned nasty; it was nasty in its very conception. I'm as straight as they come, but this isn't about 'straight pride', it's about reviving the old anti-gay bullsh!t. But probably the best tactic is to ignore them.
    Amen.

That said, Herself and I now lay bets on how many episodes of a TV show we will go through before there's a prominent storyline revolving around LGBTQ issues of one type or another. Or how many central characters turn out to be living with an LGBTQ identity ... whether closeted, or anguished, or defiant, or etc. Few of whom seem to have the kind of relationships that most of us have - kinda ordinary, not too exotic.

Bear in mind that a wide range of international studies find that the entire LGBTQ community combines to 6%-9% ... 11% if you include anyone who's ever experienced some degree of same-sex attraction. In contrast, I'm in the 10% of the population that's left handed ... and because the world's set up for you righties, statistically we die about 10 years before you mob. Truly. We're under-represented in popular culture too ... can you think of any action movie where even a minor character waggled a sword or shot a gun left-handed (aside from The Princess Bride )?

It gets worse - I'm also in the 2% of the population with naturally very light blonde hair - all but white 'till I was about 30. That's OK though, because we really do have more fun; maybe I'll die from that.

What I'm trying to say is that the Straight Pride retrograde d#cks from the OP are probably feeling threatened not so much by the actual existence of LGBTQ people, but by rather a tide of gender-stuff broadly washing across popular culture. Suggesting that vanilla-hetero folks are in the minority, or at least have a sexual orientation which is at best boring and more likely the root of historic social depravity.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

There's a "straight community"?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

9x as big as the left handed one...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

A friend told me this afternoon that this whole thing is being pushed by someone who is big into the "We straight white men are oppressed!" BS. So, yes, it is almost certainly going to be nasty.

I had this mental image of a bunch of June Cleaver types parading and no one cares. It's laughable. But it seems it won't be laughable if the organizers have their way. Too bad. I'm not ashamed to be a straight white male, but I'd rather not be associated with that particular type of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    What I'm trying to say is that the Straight Pride retrograde d#cks from the OP are probably feeling threatened not so much by the actual existence of LGBTQ people, but by rather a tide of gender-stuff broadly washing across popular culture. Suggesting that vanilla-hetero folks are in the minority, or at least have a sexual orientation which is at best boring and more likely the root of historic social depravity.
    Awww, the poor widdle things. Considering that until very recently, gay folks were at best loathed, at worst murdered, that seems a relatively easy thing to put with.

Actually, by the standards of much of popular culture, most of what most people do is hopelessly boring. Just for comparison, here are the movies at our local mall right now:
    - Aladdin (genie, flying carpets, arabian nights . .)
    - Godzilla, King of the Monsters (just the kind of thing you run into every day)
    - Rocketman (Elton John biopic)
    - Ma (creepy horror movie)
    - John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (shoot 'em up thriller)
    - Avengers Endgame (superheroes)
    - Brightburn (super anti-hero)
    - Booksmart (teenage girls raising hell)
    - Pokémon Detective Pikachu (no comment)
    - The Hustle (female swindlers in action)
    - The Dead Don't Die (zombies)
    - Long Shot (presidential campaign, comedy)

Anybody doing anything like that tonight? Show of hands? Jeez, aren't we boring?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Well, Godzilla sounds like a church study group.. but otherwise I agree, Keith.

Next up a GoFundme page to raise money.

LGBTQ is a sandwich.
    Lettuce, guacamole, bacon, tomato, queso.
    On toasted marble rye, with garlic mayo.....

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Do they have a straight rainbow too?

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Oh, that's good!

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Bit of help here? What is the Q bit?
    Provided as a public service:

The ABCs of L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/s...-language.html

Are you kidding? That is the best part!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Let your freak flag fly!
    I just wanna say thanks for not taking my comments the wrong way. That happens way too often.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Ok that made me laugh really loud. Startled The Daughter. She thought it was dang funny too.

I'm a bit mystified about the whole "Pride thing".

I'm straight, so? I'm proud to be inclusive, to allow each to their own.

I can't be threatened by someone's sexuality.

My mate Adrian is as gay as they come and he gives me hell when he sees me.

if the cops heard him he would be arrested for vilification and hate speech.

he says he is comfortable to do it because of my beliefs

On this subject my belief is; Happiness seems to be in short supply at the moment. I don't care how you achieve that blessed state.

I just want you to be in that state, happy, secure and with some one to back you up when you need it.

and it does not hurt if they are good at cuddling

I guess part of what troubles me is the reduction of human beings to their gender identity or sexual orientation, or at least the presumption that these are the most important aspects of identity. I have no idea how many folks on the board here are attracted this way or that, have their gender identity land this way or that. Some folks have "outed" themselves - Keith, me, Skip, BrianW, etc. Others haven't done - for any number of reasons. None of my interactions with you folks - with any of you folks - are predicated on what I might presume about your sexual identity/gender stuff, and I'd be very surprised if any of your interactions with me are predicated on what you presume about mine. I mean, we might as well be talking about cilantro.