Thread: Second Rowing Position

Default Second Rowing Position

Hi All,

I've just finished building an 8' plywood pram dinghy and have had a chance to take it out rowing a few times. It rows very well solo and rows and trims well with three people in the boat - one rowing from central thwart, one sat on aft thwart and one sat on the forward thwart. When rowing with two people in the boat, however (one rowing from centre thwart, one either forward or aft), the boat is very badly trimmed. I have a larger 11' dinghy which has a second set of rowlocks adjacent to the forward thwart which I assume is for rowing with only two people in the boat (the crew sat on the aft thwart). Would the same arrangement work for my 8' dinghy or is there any difficulty with it being so small?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Second Rowing Position

Not impossible but you might need to get creative to make it work. Much easier it you have a saddle-style rowing seat as in this boat. Note the two rowing positions.

I had an 8' pram and yes just as you describe, with two people the rower needs to be on the forward seat. This has the additional benefit of leaving the middle of the boat more open for cargo.

One complication was that boat was narrower at the forward station, the oarlocks closer together, which required rowing cross-handed with shorter choppier strokes.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Is it wide enough that two can share the seat manning one oar each?

The saddle seat and adjustable oarlock sockets might work out well for you by allowing you to adjust trim depending on the weight of the passenger.

Same with my 10 footer. With just two, I must row from the bow seat. Works just fine with only one problem (not for me, but I have heard complaints) when you row from the bow, you must row somewhat cross handed as the oarlocks are a bit closer together.