Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going On In Australia?

Default What's Going On In Australia?

Police have raided the Sydney headquarters of the Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC), in a second day of searches targeting journalists.

Officers arrived at the public broadcaster with search warrants naming two reporters and the news director. The ABC has protested over the raid.

The police action is related to articles about alleged misconduct by Australian forces in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday police searched the home of a News Corp journalist, sparking alarm.

The leading journalists' union said the two raids represented a "disturbing pattern of assaults on Australian press freedom". Other unions and human rights groups also condemned the actions.

According to the ABC, Wednesday's search is about the 2017 investigative series known as The Afghan Files which "revealed allegations of unlawful killings and misconduct by Australian special forces in Afghanistan".

The broadcaster said the series was "based off hundreds of pages of secret Defence documents leaked to the ABC".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48522729
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Default Re: What's Going On In Australia?

I think the journalists involved published classified information. The authorities get upset when that happens- just ask that albino hobbit Assange JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I think the journalists involved published classified information. The authorities get upset when that happens- just ask that albino hobbit Assange JayInOz
    So are you going to have a 'Pentagon Papers' type of situation?
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    So are you going to have a 'Pentagon Papers' type of situation?
    Nah - just excising a couple of grubs
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Attempting to frighten journalists for revealing governmental crimes hidden as state secrets is the lesser crime. The government is investigating and prosecuting the wrong parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Attempting to frighten journalists for revealing governmental crimes hidden as state secrets is the lesser crime. The government is investigating and prosecuting the wrong parties.
    Of course they are, but have you ever seen a whistle blower celebrated for pointing out government misdeeds?
    Tom L

We are following Trump's playbook.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

The minister for Home Affairs is Peter Dutton, an ex cop from Queensland. The portfolio he is in charge of is a newly created portfolio giving him oversight of ASIO, the AFP and Border Force. It is clear he comes to the position with a limited understanding of the dangers that beset a democracy when the Government of the day is successful in eroding the structures of accountability. The attitudes espoused by Dutton and his co conspirators to the uncritical public who support such a dynamic is 'get red tape and public service inefficiencies' out of our way so we can protect Australia from terrorists, marauding boat people, and the leftist propaganda emanating from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Among this constituency, it is a given that all investigative journalism is biased leftist propaganda. Obviously we here down under are a bit too cynical to swallow the' false news' tag that Trumpsters are fond of but its essentially the same ploy.
    It must be accepted unquestioningly that Australia will follow in the footsteps of our indispensable partner and ally USA, down that great Belt and Road map of Corporate America to prosperity of the few at the expense of the feeder population.
    The end game of this trajectory in human history is eluded to in that somewhat prophetic movie Soylent Green.
    This, my good friends is what is going on in Australia.......
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-05-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    They hit the Oz as well.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

The warrant apparently gives the AFP the power to alter, add to or delete files. This strikes me as dangerous territory.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    They hit the Oz as well.

It may be the case that was a deliberate ploy to counter the public perception that could / would arise that the Govt is out to get the ABC if raids where conducted on ABC journalists alone. By conducting the prior raid on a Murdoch Journalist, as a primer of what is to follow, it would be hoped that the mirage of the secret services impartiality could be defended. One only has to look at the history of ASIO and the files released by FOI laws that the spy agencies where, during the cold war period, more a tool at the disposal of the conservative side of politics.
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.

So far the following related saga has escaped the public gaze. It involves my good friend, freelance journalist Alan Austin who is being sued. This is very much a political struggle going on related to section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act that is seen as a test for "free speech" in the culture wars etc etc but is more so, yet another effort to resist accountability within conservative Govt and silence criticism. The case centres around Alan's defence of the AustralianHuman Rights Commission and its then head Professor Gillian Triggs against attacks in Australian Media.
    It's worth a read:
    Protect human rights! Urgently support Alan Austin's legal defence fund

All this begs the question, why would conservative elements want to take some of the wind out of Alan Austin's sails?

The answer may be found in his work as an independent freelance journalist....please read some of his work"

Alan Austin, Author at Crikey
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-05-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Quite right Ian! Its all about protecting ones turf.....
    Healthy lawns are able to withstand a few grubs per square foot. This is because grass growth will outpace the grub feeding. However, too many lawn grubs will outpace root growth and damage results. If grub controls are necessary, it should be applied before any damage occurs. The greatest damage will usually be in the last stages of grub growth as lawn grubs reach their maximum size. Since the life cycles of the various species of lawn grubs are known, the damage they do and the time of year that damage will likely occur is predictable

Lawn Grubs and Grub Control
    All About Lawn Grubs

The Morrison Government and its agencies are trying to reinvent the Nuremberg Defence in an Australian context for our SAS personnel who killed a number of Afghani women and children. And this after one of the personnel blew the whistle on his fellow commandos for carrying out the atrocity.

Apparently, under Dutton (Mr Potato Head) and ScoMo - the coal fondler (ScoMoFo), the voting public don't have a right to know about such atrocities carried under the Australian Flag and that such atrocities fall within the remit of "official secrets."

It's just a step to the right...
    And a jump to the Ri-i-i-i-ight!
    Another jump to the right...
    And a step to the Ri-i-i-i-ight!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

On the question of what's going on, here is an article in the Guardian with plenty of links to follow up, so a lot of relevant info on the subject along with the authors opinion for those interested in following it up a bit.
    The AFP media raids aim to suppress the truth. Without it we head into the darkness of oppression | Richard Flanagan | Australia news | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    The Morrison Government and its agencies are trying to reinvent the Nuremberg Defence in an Australian context for our SAS personnel who killed a number of Afghani women and children. And this after one of the personnel blew the whistle on his fellow commandos for carrying out the atrocity.

Apparently, under Dutton (Mr Potato Head) and ScoMo - the coal fondler (ScoMoFo), the voting public don't have a right to know about such atrocities carried under the Australian Flag and that such atrocities fall within the remit of "official secrets."

It's just a step to the right...
    And a jump to the Ri-i-i-i-ight!
    Another jump to the right...
    And a step to the Ri-i-i-i-ight!
    ... and here we have a perfect example of just how daft the far left is.

"Mr Potato Head" - you should be ashamed of yourself, stooping to such levels, defining individuals based on their appearance. He can't help the way his head is shaped, that's down to his, dare I say it, race and genetic inputs.... but then, I guess you haven't been able to change your position on the scale that ranges from stupid, at the far left end, to informed.

Oh, and if you'd informed yourself, instead of displaying such appalling bad taste as to attack people based on their race and genetics, you'd have discovered that the person who "blew the whistle on his fellow commandos for carrying out the atrocity", as you call it was none other than the current member for Canning, Andrew Hastie MP - who is now a member of the Morrison Government that you daftly attacked over this.

Do try to avoid such appalling behaviour in future, please.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

In this video from early in the day when the ABC raid was unfolding it is mentioned that Ben Fordham of radio 2 GB and channel 9 was contacted by senior officials and told that an Home Affairs investigation has been sparked over his story about six asylum seeker boats attempting to reach Australia. He has been told that this could also lead to an AFP investigation. To me this seems to establish a link between the Department of Home Affairs and the AFP raids.

.....we interrupt our regular programming to bring you the following message from our sponsors, The Department of Comic Releif:

If MP Andrew Hastie, a member of the Liberal National Government, (was one of the few that) initially reported the war crimes to his superiors, as well as being interviewed by the ABC journalists who have been subject to the raids, then why are there AFP raids occurring at all?... AFTER the election?

Creeping fascism is a far greater danger to our democracy than caricatures, and anyone thinks that political satire is bad behaviour then they are the ultimate glass jawed snowflake and deserve to be roundly ignored as they have dispelled any notion they are in favour of robust political discussion.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    If MP Andrew Hastie, a member of the Liberal National Government, (was one of the few that) initially reported the war crimes to his superiors, as well as being interviewed by the ABC journalists who have been subject to the raids, then why are there AFP raids occurring at all?... AFTER the election?

Creeping fascism is a far greater danger to our democracy than caricatures, and anyone thinks that political satire is bad behaviour then they are the ultimate glass jawed snowflake and deserve to be roundly ignored as they have dispelled any notion they are in favour of robust political discussion.
    Political satire is fine. Mockery based on race, gender and genetics isn't fine. I hope you someday learn the difference.

Hastie wasn't "one of the few" - he was THE one. He was the SAS officer who reported it - up the chain of command. He initiated the cultural changes.

As for the AFP raids - you are ignoring the fact that the police are acting independently of the government.

On the issue of the freedom of the press - I was the General Manager of a listed publishing company, and as part of that, engaged in some robust discussions with editorial staff and journalists on the issue... and defended them vigorously at Board level. I had an editor quit over an issue - but I talked him around - and got an apology out of the director who'd tried to pressure the editor.

Oh, and something I dead set know you aren't informed about is issues of national security.

Political satire is fine. Mockery based on race, gender and genetics isn't fine. I hope you someday learn the difference.

Hastie wasn't "one of the few" - he was THE one. He was the SAS officer who reported it - up the chain of command. He initiated the cultural changes.

As for the AFP raids - you are ignoring the fact that the police are acting independently of the government.

On the issue of the freedom of the press - I was the General Manager of a listed publishing company, and as part of that, engaged in some robust discussions with editorial staff and journalists on the issue... and defended them vigorously at Board level. I had an editor quit over an issue - but I talked him around - and got an apology out of the director who'd tried to pressure the editor.

Oh, and something I dead set know you aren't informed about is issues of national security.
    Given your above efforts at establishing your overall understanding of the issue discussed I am somewhat puzzled that you have thus far failed to mention that it is David Whilliam McBride,a former military lawyer and captain in Britain's elite Special Air Service who is the whistleblower at the centre of the AFP's raids on the ABC in Sydney. Was it that this fact did not suit your narrative or was it that you are less informed of the facts than you lead us to believe?

The ex-Defence whistleblower at the centre of ABC raids

Yes, granted, he is a one time Liberal candidate, a lucky escapee who has seen the light perhaps, the son of the late Sydney doctor who alerted the world to the birth defects caused by the drug thalidomide. Whistle blowing surly must run in his family!

......with your now obvious credentials how could you miss these details?

Mr McBride, 55, was arrested in dramatic scenes at Sydney Airport in September last year as he sought to return to his new home of Spain after a brief trip to Australia to attend a father-daughter dance at his daughter's school.
    He was named on Wednesday alongside three ABC journalists in the AFP's search warrant, which covers a raft of documents believed to be in the possession of the national broadcaster, including handwritten and digital notes relating to the four men as well as to a range of organisations and broad topics, including "Afghanistan" and "The 7.30 Report".

A former legal adviser to Australia's special forces in Afghanistan, Mr McBride does not dispute that he leaked material to the ABC that formed the basis of a 2017 report called "The Afghan files", which revealed allegations of serious misconduct by Australian troops in Afghanistan including potential unlawful killings of unarmed men and children.

His court case is due to start on June 13.
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-05-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Given your above efforts at establishing your overall understanding of the issue discussed I am somewhat puzzled that you have thus far failed to mention that it is David Whilliam McBride,a former military lawyer and captain in Britain's elite Special Air Service who is the whistleblower at the centre of the AFP's raids on the ABC in Sydney. Was it that this fact did not suit your narrative or was it that you are less informed of the facts than you lead us to believe?

The ex-Defence whistleblower at the centre of ABC raids

Yes, granted, he is a one time Liberal candidate, a lucky escapee who has seen the light perhaps, the son of the late Sydney doctor who alerted the world to the birth defects caused by the drug thalidomide. Whistle blowing surly must run in his family!

......with your now obvious credentials how could you miss these details?

Mr McBride, 55, was arrested in dramatic scenes at Sydney Airport in September last year as he sought to return to his new home of Spain after a brief trip to Australia to attend a father-daughter dance at his daughter's school.
    He was named on Wednesday alongside three ABC journalists in the AFP's search warrant, which covers a raft of documents believed to be in the possession of the national broadcaster, including handwritten and digital notes relating to the four men as well as to a range of organisations and broad topics, including "Afghanistan" and "The 7.30 Report".

A former legal adviser to Australia's special forces in Afghanistan, Mr McBride does not dispute that he leaked material to the ABC that formed the basis of a 2017 report called "The Afghan files", which revealed allegations of serious misconduct by Australian troops in Afghanistan including potential unlawful killings of unarmed men and children.

His court case is due to start on June 13.
    Can't you read? I wrote about the person who fired the issue of inappropriate actions up the chain of command. I made no mention of the alleged whistleblower. I pointed out that the appropriate actions at the time, in relation to improper conduct, were carried out by a member of the very government that Old Mate was slagging.

...ok.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Ah Mr. Patato Head.

Potato.JPG

A name - what is in a name? That which is called a potato by any other name would be as power hungry, xenophobic, racist and bigoted.
    Mr Potato Head is one of the 18C repealers who believes people have a right to be bigots - except of course toward Christians; that's an infringement against their freedom of religion...... Gays and Muslims: fair game.

The Australian government in a bid to feed the paranoia in certain marginal seats - like said Mr. potato heads, have blown the racist dog whistle and then introduced national security laws to show how tough they are. The problem with introducing national security laws is that there is a long standing convention that the opposition, in these instances, is not an opposition. So if you fire up enough fury at brown people and say you'll protect the hillbillies as a matter of national security, you can breeze them through.

The laws were, IMHO, introduced to curb critisim or investigation into Australia's torturing of children on tropical islands. A black shadow on the countries soul put there by the coal fondler who is our Prime Minister and his side kick - aka Mr. Potato Head. But as it turns out, they can be used to shut anyone up about anything if you call it a secret - even when its not.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

What would the potato heads of the world do if the BBC had run the Afghan story?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

For the AFP to act wouldn't that require someone to raise the issue first? Who would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    This^, coming from the very same BBC that has been attempting to strip the internet of its own "investigative documentary" on staged chemical attacks in Syria. MSM have been reluctant to share the news that the OPCW own report was not inline with the science, and it took another whistle blower to get the truth exposed, for those that already could not see an obvious false-flag event from the outset. "reporting in the public interest".......what an insult.

Ive been searching for a Pic of Dutton's head morphing into an Orc.......i'm sure its out there somewhere but Hannibal Dutton will have to suffice for now.

...in the Chamber of Horrors.

And in the Chamber of Parliament.

I knew some relevant info was out there somewhere and heere it is.......
    It is my sincere hope that this cut and paste will be more entertaining than those we have become accustomed to

The orcs are the result of Evil’s failure of imagination. Peter Dutton is the result of Australia’s.
    ‘The Time of the Orc has Come: Peter Dutton and the White Hand of Australia’ by Patrick Marlborough — The Lifted Brow

By Patrick Marlborough

What Do You Smell?

There’s a scene in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) where a group of orcs are transporting their hobbit hostages across the plains of Rohan. The band comprises Sauron’s soldiers from Mordor and Saruman’s Uruk-hai from Isengard. The orcs stop to rest and the question of food arises. “We’ve had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinking days!” one says. “Yeah, why can’t we have some meats?” replies an orc credited as ‘Snaga’. His gaze settles on their captives: “What about them? They’re fresh!”
    While the Uruk-hai captain Ugl˙k explains “those are not for eating!” Snaga creeps up behind the two halflings, knife raised: “just a mouthful, a bit off the flank!”
    Here I pause my two tape LoTR:TTT The Extended Edition VHS. Something about Snaga’s shaky menace strikes me as familiar. The pinched lips, the round skull, the shifty eyes: he is a Weta-Workshop Peter Dutton, Australia’s Minister for Home Affairs, Immigration and Border Protection. Unchecked, unbowed, and unforgiving, there is something decidedly monstrous in the way the Member for Dickson carries himself. Photo after photo shows him lurking in the shadows like some Gundabad war chief.

But his monstrousness goes beyond his cartoonish grim visage. Despite scandal after bungle after scandal, Dutton seems destined to hold dominion over the Commonwealth. He has moved Malcolm Turnbull and the Coalition to the far-right with the ease of an au-pair pushing a bawling baby in a pram. With the creation of the Department of Home Affairs in December 2017, he became one of the most powerful men in the nation, with an accumulation of strength that has progressed unchecked and is now spreading beyond the department’s ill-kept murky borders.
    In the age of Trump, Dutton is not so much a projection of conservatism’s future as a paragon of its present. What Saruman would describe as a “ruined and terrible form of life” has now been “perfected.” Dutton leads the establishment fringe in the post-Abbott era: you will not know pain, you will not know fear, you will taste raw onion.
    People treat Dutton as though he sprang fully formed from the pit of Gorgoroth itself. As if he is a riddle in the dark, spoken in a wet-mouthed whisper. We are too scared to ask what’s in his pocketsess.
    Well, speak friend and enter: like an Elvish riddle on a Dwarven door all it takes is the simplest paradigm shift to see the Ents for the trees. Call me Thorin Oakenshield, because I hold the key to grokking our would-be future PM. To understand Dutton you just have to understand this simple truth:
    The age of man is over.
    The time of the orc has come.
    Concerning Orcs
    Through popular culture and the film adaptations, most of us have a clear idea of how an orc looks and acts, just as we have a rough idea of how Peter Dutton looks and acts thanks to Sky News and Janet Albrechtson puff-pieces.

The origin of orcs is often overlooked. Tolkien posited various creation myths for orcs. The best known and most commonly accepted comes from The Silmarillion (1977), which hinted that they were Elves transformed by Melkor’s “slow arts of cruelty…in envy and mockery”. Another theory appears in The History of Middle-earth, a 12-volume series published posthumously, which states that orcs were “…bred by Melkor of the subterranean heats and slime. Their hearts were granite and their bodies deformed; foul their faces which smiled not, but their laugh that of the clash of metal”. Here the orcs are described like machines of war, which in a sense, they are.
    In a letter to his son Christopher, Tolkien offered this description of orcs: “They are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes.” He goes on to explain that “the Orcs are definitely stated to be corruptions of the ‘human’ form seen in Elves and Men”. As corruptions, be it through torture or interbreeding, orcs maintained a recognizable humanity. Christopher Tolkien explains in Morgoth’s Ring (the tenth volume of The History of Middle-earth), “…my father’s final view of the matter: orcs were bred from men.”
    There are conflicting views about the origins of orcs. In one, they are corrupted reflections; in another, they are manufactured projections. What is important is not so much how they were made, but what they were made to represent. Tolkien, a World War I veteran who fought in the Battle of the Somme, witnessed industrial warfare firsthand. Recuperating from trench fever in 1917, he began writing fables about dwarves, “gnomes”, and orcs. Many years later, in a letter to his son who was then fighting in World War II, Tolkien wrote: “I think the orcs as real a creation as anything in ‘realistic’ fiction…only in real life they are on both sides, of course.”

In Tolkien’s universe, Evil is unable to create anything new. Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey states that “though [Tolkien] became increasingly concerned over the implications of orcs in his story, and tried out several explanations for them, their analogousness for humanity always remained clear”. Although Tolkien grew uneasy with it, the corrupted elf/man theory stuck because it allowed orcs to be simple ciphers for the man-made horrors of the 20th century. Evil lacks empathy, and thus imagination. As Frodo explains “…the Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real new things of its own. I don't think it gave life to Orcs, it only ruined them and twisted them.”
    The orcs are the result of Evil’s failure of imagination. Peter Dutton is the result of Australia’s.
    Orc Cop
    Born in 1970, Peter Dutton, son of Bruce, grew up in the heats and slime of the Northern Brisbane suburb of Boondall. Flat-nosed and sallow-skinned, it is impossible to determine whether his heart was born of, or crafted with, granite, but his father was a bricklayer, so granite was probably at some point present. His working-class family sent Dutton, eldest of five, to St Paul’s School, a private Anglican college in Bald Hills. In 1988 an 18-year-old Dutton joined the Young Liberals. In 1989 he unsuccessfully ran for the state seat of Lytton, and by 1990 he was chair of their Bayside branch.
    That same year he graduated from the Queensland Police Academy, having begun his training at the height of the Fitzgerald Inquiry into Police Misconduct. The Inquiry would see the deposition of Premier Joh Bjelke Peterson and the jailing of three former ministers, as well as a knighted police commissioner. Like Aragorn’s time ranging for the Dunedein, his time in the QPF would shape him as well as his policies. “I was a police officer at a young age and in those formative years I’d seen good and bad in that job. So I do think that shapes your world view,” he recently told Guardian Australia.
    Terry O’Gormann, who cross-examined ‘Uncle Joh’ in the Fitzgerald inquiry, told that same Guardian reporter that Dutton is “…the unofficial national police minister.” In his Inside Story article ‘Prime Minister in Waiting,’ Norman Abjornsen recalls an interaction with a senior minister at an airport, to whom Abjornsen quipped that Dutton ‘still talked like a Queensland cop, impassive and deadpan’. The minister replied, “yes, and he thinks like one too.”After nine years working in the Drug Squad, the Sex Offenders Squad, and the National Crime Authority, Dutton completed his Bachelor of Business at QUT and joined his father’s building business. They founded Dutton Holdings in 2000 (now Dutton Building and Development). Dutton currently owns six properties, including a $2.3 million mansion on Queensland’s “Millionaire’s Row.”

....continued follow the link.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    This^, coming from the very same BBC that has been attempting to strip the internet of its own "investigative documentary" on staged chemical attacks in Syria. MSM have been reluctant to share the news that the OPCW own report was not inline with the science, and it took another whistle blower to get the truth exposed, for those that already could not see an obvious false-flag event from the outset. "reporting in the public interest".......what an insult.
    Well said. Thanks.

I don't see them as "Grubs"

Any one who sticks it to those parasittes in canberra get my seal of approval

There should be an open season on them.

National Security....My A**e, they just don't their dirty secrets coming out

A pox on the bloody lot of them

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post

A link or two would be appreciated as my searches arn't turning up much on the subject? I'm aware of some controversy relating to the role of the White Helmets in Syria??

However the central issue is beyond partisan politics and is about the Institutions, checks and balances that are essential for the ongoing health of the democratic process. That remains even if there is error to be found with the BBC.
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-06-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Remember, secrecy is one of the most powerfull tools of the tyrant.

ScoMo is the poster boy for The australian Christian Taliban.