Hallo iedereen!
It's been a while since I posted on the forum, so I thought I'd do a thread on one of my current projects. And, that current project is the ideal sail and oar™ cruiser. Boomless spritsail, jib, leeboards, flat bottom, hard chines, cod's head and mackerel tail. It has crossed my mind to call her the McMullen.

She's a "punter." Punters are small(ish) traditional Dutch inshore craft, used for fishing and about everything else.
Punter_geroeid_en_gezeild2.JPG
Punters come in a variety, but they all kind of resemble this one. They are built of heavy oak planks, and the boats are heavy and beyond many people's means.

I'm building mine in skin-on-frame, of course.
This thread will play catch-up to where I am now, and then hopefully on to the finish.

She's about 18'6"/5.6m overall, and 4'6"/1.4m wide. That's short and wide for a punter, but I don't need anything longer. She is proportionally wider to compensate for that, and for the much lighter weight. Still likely to be tender under sail.

First I had to work up the design, using a variety of sources. A bit tedious, as I don't have any Dutch, and the good source material is all in Dutch. Google translate is about 50% helpful, and the rest comes out as English gibberish. Apparently, maritime speak isn't what google focuses on.

Design fleshed out, mostly, I cut out the frames and such from 12mm Okoume plywood, using up a couple of sheets with a whole lot of irregularly shaped leftover pieces.

The first and last frames are mounted on the strongback, which is simply a flat, straight 2x4 or 2x6 clamped to a couple of saw horses.
1031181021.jpg1030181711a.jpg ← Looking aft.

The gunwales and upper chines are each made up of two pieces, stacked and glued together on the frame. This locks in the shape of the sheer, and laminated is stronger. I'm using cypress for the stringers in this boat.

The lower half of the upper chines are set in place on frames 1 and 6, and held tight by straps. Then the rest of the frames are wrestled into position.

1103181607.jpg← Looking forward.
Cleats, as on frame 4, will be glued along the lower part of the frames, to strengthen them there. Plywood is no good for long and skinny, of course.

The stems are slid through the mounting brackets and glued to the first and last frames.
1103181430.jpg

To be continued.
Dave

I tried to copy and paste pics here, so everyone could see, but no go.