Thread: Dutchman or graving piece?

Default Dutchman or graving piece?

Most Dutchmen I have seen were curved or tapered patches similar to a scarf joint. I have also seen square shouldered partial thickness repairs referred to as graving pieces. A quick Google search indicates that the terms are interchangeable. Is there a difference?

I might as well throw in a link to a repair that introduced me to the offset router for this type of repair in tight places. It is essentially a second collet that is mechanically geared to the primary collet, but offset to the edge of the baseplate so you can rout as close as 1/2 inch to an obstruction. Makita

Bosch review
    l,,
    Last edited by MN Dave; 06-18-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: pictures
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Default Re: Dutchman or graving piece?

No difference as I learned. Most that I make have a rectangular section along the grain (like a regular board) and a bevel like a scarf joint at each end. But some, depending on position, can be very quickly dug out by router and fit the graving Dutchman to that. If it's small either a round insert or a square formed diagonal to the grain can look quite nice.

Good invention.

And what do you call this?????? A "Double Ducthman"?????

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Dutchman in a grave? Looks like some punky wood left behind. Maybe we should expand the patch ideas to a tingle, and knot the kind caused by excitement.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I'd call it something that should've been fully replaced.

OT - but at a farm auction a few years ago, there were a number of "gentlemen farmers" - aka guys with more money than brains. There was a 4' bushhog that had patches welded on. Not only that, but there were patches welded on the patches. Some idiot paid $600 for it. Bet the owner was tickled...
    Last edited by Garret; 06-17-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: missing "it"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Dutchman in a grave? Looks like some punky wood left behind. Maybe we should expand the patch ideas to a tingle, and knot the kind caused by excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'd call it something that should've been fully replaced.
    Ahh, … no punky wood there. I believe those are original to the keel (1957). As I remember there is the remainder of a knot in the bottom. That is oak, and so hard now that I needed to drill pilot holes for the copper nails to hold the outer one in place.

Boat building, when boat building was all wood was not as "boutiquey" as it is today. Toward the end of wooden boat building the production builders that used locally sourced wood were somewhat pressed into using less than all "clear" material. That stick is about 30ft long, 18" deep and about 2 1/2" - 3" thick. I can see not rejecting it for a basically cosmetic knot. (I say cosmetic, because after 62 years it has not caused any issue at all.) There are a couple of other dutchmen in the sides of the keel as well.

I was working on an early Herreshoff S-boat with the owner, rebuilding the stern. He wanted new quarter knees. The original ones were still structurally fine hack knees, but a lot of fasteners had pockmarked them. They had rot pockets and wain that had been there when installed with no sign of deterioration resulting. I got new knees from Newman Gee who wanted one of the old knees as an exhibit. Herreshoff had installed that knee which was still good after 80 years.

I'd call it a Dead Dutchman!
    Bird