Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Small Boat on the Inside Passage

Default Re: Small Boat on the Inside Passage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    I should note that in 2017 I drove into and out of BC with the boat on its trailer and no questions from anyone other than asking if I had fresh fruit aboard. No title/registration request.

This time, I cleared customs in the US on San Juan Island, Roche Harbor- post Labor Day. It was kind of a zoo- especially for a small boat. Here's what the dock looks like. Even the C-Dory on the far left is sort of dwarfed by all the bigness. The dock was like three feet off the water. I had to climb up. The gunwale of Row Bird was well below the deck.

There was something in the air- all the boats suddenly were in a rush to get cleared As noted earlier, I'd forgotten my title and registration. Further, I hadn't cleared customs by boat when exiting the US, so I didn't have a clearance number. Mistake #2.

The customs agent was really bothered by this lack of a number and treated me as if I'd committed a crime.

I met a guy further into the San Juan archipelago who asked about my experience at customs and he thought my experience sounded pretty pleasant compared to his interrogations. Go figure.
    Count yourself lucky on being an American.
    It becomes substantially more difficult cruising your great country as a foreigner Canadians included. The threat of huge fines and yacht confiscation is ever present should one forget to log ports or itinerary. Donít even get me started on arriving in Key West from Cuba Mexico or heaven help me Panama.
    Naturally occasionally exceptions have to be made like the time we illegally spent a magical night with the sea lions in SAN Miguel Is CA due to not obtaining parks permission , after all we could not log that one due to heavy fines either way.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Lucky yes.

Traveling abroad though, I felt embarrassed because of our government and 45 in particular. Canadians were pretty forgiving.

Of course I wanted to partake of nautical tradition and fly both a Canadian courtesy flag and a flag of my home country.

You can see the Canada flag peeking out from the top of the mizzen.

After quite a bit of arguing at home, the stars and stripes were rejected in favor of the Cascadia flag on the top of the yard.

It got surprisingly few comments.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    It becomes substantially more difficult cruising your great country as a foreigner Canadians included. The threat of huge fines and yacht confiscation is ever present should one forget to log ports or itinerary.
    No kidding! Even for U.S. citizens it can get silly--I had the same threats of fines and confiscations from U.S. Border Patrol just crossing from Canada to the U.S. in Lake Huron--the Customs office was closed, the "after hours" phone number wasn't working, and they were NOT happy I hadn't called in when I landed, but waited until the next day... This in a little 14' home-built boat.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

The attitude of US Customs has changed dramatically since the advent of DHS. Not for the better. Thirty years ago they hired human beings for thee job...the current crop don't seem to fit that category.
    Rant done...back to normal programming.

Sorry, it's been a while. Land responsibilities are just swallowing up my time!

Here's a link to a story I wrote about clearing customs in Canada, as a contrast to clearing them in the US.

But since we're on the subject of getting there. Here are a few notes about how I move my boat.

First, all spars, sails, oars are put in bags. I put just about everything that will fit in the car, in the car, instead of the boat to reduce weight on the hull.

Then everything in the boat is tied down with webbing and buckles.

A ratchet strap with tubular webbing goes just aft of the oarlocks. And yes, you saw that right partner, that's an old wool sock on there. It stops the strap from vibrating and taking all the paint off.

The boat is set in the middle of the trailer so most of the weight is over the axle. Since there's no motor, there's no weight aft.

That makes for a long bit of boat sticking off the back. I tie two kite streamers on there that fly up to warn cars to stay back. I also have bright LED lights that show pretty well, even in the daylight. I always drive with the car headlights on so there's something glowing on the trailer too.

The weight of the boat does lean just a bit on the tongue. And she rolls really nice that way.

The tongue on my trailer is also pretty long.

That means the boat can be launched in thin water and the car stays dry.

It seems like a lot of details, but it works. In hundreds of miles I've trailered ROW BIRD, I've never had any issues.

What trailer tricks do you have?

FYI, all: Bruce’s story about his trip has now been published in Small Boats Monthly:
    https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/southing/

It’s a good read with nice pictures. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    I should note that in 2017 I drove into and out of BC with the boat on its trailer and no questions from anyone other than asking if I had fresh fruit aboard. No title/registration request.
    You mentioned this twice, so I thought I'd better add a contrary note. Canada Customs did ask me for title and registration just this spring. Also my passport number and the info on anyone else on board. This was a phone-in entry in Vancouver, maybe they are more lax in person ?

US Customs was also fine, a little goofy - "Is this boat safe ? Where's the rail ? You could fall in the water !" - but as friendly as you can expect from a TSA person these days. Took maybe fifteen minutes longer because they did come down to the dock in person.

I didn't see much difference between the procedures from either side.