Through a little luck, a little planning, and a lot of hard work, I've secured two months off from work. Starting in August, I'm going to sail Row Bird on a meandering portion of the Inside Passage, from roughly the Broughtons in British Columbia back to Seattle. I'm going to post technical and fact based things here, and feelings about my preparations on my blog.

The first thing I did was get a whole bunch of charts details on that here I've got a list of other stuff that I'll back post.

Right now, I'm thinking about anchors (again). I've had a lot of success with an eight-pound Danforth-style anchor and 15 feet of chain, but the more I think about the amount of time I may be on the hook waiting out tide cycles, the more I worry the fluke won't reset itself well.

I've narrowed down my choices to a nine-pound Rocna or a eight-pound Mantus. I hear they're both good. Mantus is 25% less expensive, but is bolted together, which logically I realize is fine for a small boat. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that it will be a problem someday. Right now I'm ready to put my money on the Rocna. What's been your experience?