Thread: blasphemy and heresy......

Default blasphemy and heresy......

Greetings all,
    I built the "Yankee Tender" 20 years ago and am now going to build another.
    This time, as a fun thing with old friends, I would like to make it out of Home Depot "Ca, Ca" wood and galvanized nails, etc. (As a lightning arrestor to the gods of boatbuilding, I will paint it and call it a "Utility Rowing Skiff".)

My question is:
    PT plywood or exterior sheathing for the bottom?
    Thanks

Default Re: blasphemy and heresy......

Welcome.
    Years ago, I built an 8' dinghy with 1/4" AC grade exterior plywood. Fiberglass taped the corners and used latex paint. I built it cheap because I fully expected it to be stolen from the beach I kept it on. I used the boat to row out to my moored sailboat. I owned it for three years and it held up fine. Sold it along with the sailboat, so I have no idea how long it lasted.
    Build with cheap materials don't expect a long lifetime.
    I'm not familiar with the PT term for plywood or Ca, Ca
    Whatever the case, please got to a good lumberyard for your wood. Home Depot wood absolutely sucks.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks for the info! Looks like a fun build.
    PS: I love your Series on the inboard fantail launch. That looks like a fine next project. Can I put a small inboard in it?

PT = Pressure treated
    Ca Ca wood......... Is what you think it is..... What HD and Lowes sell now!

Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    Thanks for the info! Looks like a fun build.
    PS: I love your Series on the inboard fantail launch. That looks like a fine next project. Can I put a small inboard in it?

PT = Pressure treated
    Ca Ca wood......... Is what you think it is..... What HD and Lowes sell now!
    My launch was designed over 100 years ago to have a gas inboard. I'm opting for an external electric pod.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Is the challenge to build a whole boat out of home depot materials only - or just out of home depot wood.
    I like the challenge, but am thinking of the effort verses limited life span.

Maybe, soak the whole thing thoroughly in epoxy. Home depot are sure to sell some kind of resin...?
    Might give it some longevity.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My biggest concern with cheap ply would be warping when wet. I've built a few boats of less than Class A material:
    An HD ply canoe with spray foam sealing the joints, it was designed and built for one race, which it won. I don't know how long it lived after.
    A Glen-L Topper 11' sailing dink. A/C fir ply on oak, screwed and glued with resorcinol. Seams were glass taped using polyester resin (gasp!). That boat is still in use after 30 years, stored outdoors the whole time.
    A 14' flatiron skiff built of lumberyard pine and galvanized nails. That boat served several years on a freshwater pond before the owners moved away and left it lying in a spring.
    Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Is the challenge to build a whole boat out of home depot materials only - or just out of home depot wood.
    I like the challenge, but am thinking of the effort verses limited life span.

Maybe, soak the whole thing thoroughly in epoxy. Home depot are sure to sell some kind of resin...?
    Might give it some longevity.
    I've never seen any sort of resin, polyester or epoxy, in Home Depot. To exotic for Home Depot!

My biggest concern with cheap ply would be warping when wet. I've built a few boats of less than Class A material:
    An HD ply canoe with spray foam sealing the joints, it was designed and built for one race, which it won. I don't know how long it lived after.
    A Glen-L Topper 11' sailing dink. A/C fir ply on oak, screwed and glued with resorcinol. Seams were glass taped using polyester resin (gasp!). That boat is still in use after 30 years, stored outdoors the whole time. I rolled polyester on the exterior too, which prevented checking. The interior checked.
    A 14' flatiron skiff built of lumberyard pine and galvanized nails. That boat served several years on a freshwater pond before the owners moved away and left it lying in a spring.
    Keep us posted.

A/C exterior ply is fine if that is what one is looking for, not all boats have to be beauties that last 100 years. I may go to a true lumber yard instead of HD as all the ply I have gotten from there warps as soon as it leaves the store and starts to dry out. The prices are very similar.

I would probably stay away from PT as any goop you use may not stick unless you give it a long while to dry out before starting the build. You could do a test with the PT and goop you plan to use and find that I am totally wrong on this though.

-JP

There is al sorts of useful ( but not the intended use) materials available in the Home Depot paint aisle. Like garage floor epoxy....which will seal up anything in a fat film of resin. You can even add metal flake.
    Stair tread is pretty sweet straight grain fir, yellow pine or oak. The #1 potato pine isn’t bad either.
    I also have done some tabbing with the fiberglass dry wall tape, which has a nice “ hinge” running down the center to make it easy to stick in a corner. Big cartridges of Sikkaflex and concrete anchoring epoxy are in the masonry section. and at least in my area, a reasonable supply of stainless steel fasteners, u bolts etc.
    None of this stuff is particularly cheap, often it’s better to plan a few days ahead and buy “real” stuff on line and have UPS deliver it to your door. At one level, if you are doing this for fun, use whatever materials you damn well want. On the other hand, you are going to spend recreational hours, so why torture yourself working with crap? Just saying, plan to have the best days possible and it will probably be alright.
    SHC

Why are we even talking plywood here? I am pretty sure HD can supply WRC and DF maybe even WO if you search in non dimensional lumber products. They also sell common copper nails, BLO and 5200.
    The trick to getting good wood from them is going there often and searching trough the whole pile. There is often a good piece that escaped grading.
    I am sure with a little bit of patience one can build the boat as designed.

WOW! Great info guys! Thanks.
    SHClarkI think I may even try the metal Flake........
    This is going to be a fun build with no consideration for longevity.
    Kind of a warm-up to the next one - a "fat bellied", easy going motor launch to put-put around in.

buy an inflatable. should cost less than a hundred bucks. Don't waste time working with Home Depot quality materials.

More to the point, working with crap materials is unpleasant. I wager you have better things to do with your time.

HD sells cedar boards. Cedar fence boards could be scarfed up into planking. Their oak is usually red oak, could make frames.
    Galv nails and screws. PL premium construction adhesive. Rustoleum marine enamel.
    It could all be done from HD if that is the challenge.

Thanks Timo4352! That's exactly the challenge. Good info.

Maybe you can find some nice pine or cypress, why not build the boat the way it was designed, cross plank, double thickness?

Galvanized wood fasteners, especially screws are likely to be electrogalvanized, consider stainless steel in lieu thereof.
    Steve Martinsen