Thread: Spitfire vs Vampire

Default Spitfire vs Vampire

We had fun flying this formation on Saturday at the Airshow in St. Hubert, Quebec. We each did a solo display, then formed up for these photo passes.

And afterwards, a certain well-known gentleman from Yellowknife enjoyed sitting in the Spitfire!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Default Re: Spitfire vs Vampire

Pardon my ignorance, but who is the well known gentleman, unknown to me?

Cool photos, thanks-
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

He is Joe McBryan, recently-retired CEO of Buffalo Airways, a passenger and freight company based in Yellowknife, North West Territories, Canada. There was a reality TV show about the airline, featuring Joe regularly, called Ice Pilots NWT (known in the UK and the US as Ice Pilots) broadcast on History Television. Buffalo mainly flies WWII-era propeller planes year-round in the Canadian North. The show ran from November 18, 2009 to December 17, 2014, comprising 6 seasons.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

He's here to fly a DC-3 that they pulled out of the weeds a couple of years ago, and have repaired. New engines, and much else.

The plan is to fly the aircraft - a D-Day veteran - on June 06.

Since Dad was among the first USAAC to get to Europe and participated in the Africa, Sicily, Italy, and CBI efforts, he was back in the states a 23 year old Lt. Col. training pilots for DDay. Dad was stunned by the size, complexity, and pace of the training base. The accident rate, unacceptable by today's standards, was somehow less than it had been two years early when Dad met his C-47.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    We had fun flying this formation on Saturday at the Airshow in St. Hubert, Quebec. We each did a solo display, then formed up for these photo passes.

And afterwards, a certain well-known gentleman from Yellowknife enjoyed sitting in the Spitfire!
    There is a Vampire still flying here in South Africa, saw it at a SAAF vintage air show day a few months ago here. Eerie whine to it.

Here is a link too an old clip of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3MYngtYNo

Nice. When I was a kid in the Air Training Corps I got to sit in a Vampire, a TA-4K relatively rare side by side seat training model, a high point for me.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    He is Joe McBryan, recently-retired CEO of Buffalo Airways, a passenger and freight company based in Yellowknife, North West Territories, Canada. There was a reality TV show about the airline, featuring Joe regularly, called Ice Pilots NWT (known in the UK and the US as Ice Pilots) broadcast on History Television. Buffalo mainly flies WWII-era propeller planes year-round in the Canadian North. The show ran from November 18, 2009 to December 17, 2014, comprising 6 seasons.

Were they the outfit used in a doco on the Dambuster bomb?
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Yes, they were.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Didn't the Vampire contain a bit of plywood ... I mean carbon fiber?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Didn't the Vampire contain a bit of plywood ... I mean carbon fiber?
    More than a bit but yes.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

In the earlier models yes. The “bathtub” (fuselage) is made of veneers like a Mosquito.

Well, I don't know how they fly, but the Spitfire looks a lot cooler. My favorite WWII plane, though the Focke-Wulfe 190 is also pretty groovy.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Which airframe is older? Wasn't the Vampire used for carrier trials in 1945 or so?

Interesting connection. As some of you know, my father flew Spit IX's with 126 Wing RCAF in Normandy. Postwar he joined Maritime Central Airways and in the fifties piloted their Dc-3's while supplying the DEW line construction. I learned about flying planes, a few years later and literally at my fathers knee, in the cockpit of a DC-3 when he brought me along on supply trips into Labrador. One of MCA's DC3's was eventually purchased by Buffalo Airways and apparently was featured in some of those Ice Pilot episodes.

Tks again Dave for the updates on your flying adventures with the Spit! / Jim

Speaking of DC3s, the Thai Air Force were flying one around Chiang Mai a month or two back. They use it for cloud seeding - to try and bring on early rains - needed to knock the smoke from the February and March burning season out of the air (I wish they'd just stop the burning... it's ridiculous, but then again, we do it in Oz too).

The one in Chiang Mai has a belly tank fitted (and has been upgraded from radial engines to turbines). During Songkran - the mid April water festival - I was riding back to the pub on my scooter... and the DC3 came over at very low altitude... following the road I was on. When he got about 300 metres ahead of where I was, he dropped a load of water on the crowd. It was spectacular. I really wish I'd got it on video.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem