Thread: Maintaining gloss without too much paint

Default Maintaining gloss without too much paint

Several areas on my boat I like to renew the gloss even tho the paint is still good, just gone a little chaulky over the winter. Yet scratch sanding and adding another coat eventually leads to paint sickness. Is there a solution for this other than sanding off most of the paint each time? I think thinning the paint too much, even with Penetrol, kills the gloss plus and creates runs. Any tricks?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Maintaining gloss without too much paint

You use a DA Ron? Or wet sand?
    I think the trick to avoiding paint sickness in patching spots is to taper out what is removed. Then brush the edges out thinly.
    One could switch to 2 part paint. Not necessarily for the top coat,(well, that would be just wrong on most carvel boats) but an epoxy undercoat. That makes sanding out the top coat easier without going through to the wood.Maybe something to consider for the next big paint job.
    Snoose looks like a gem with her subdue grey and white, by the way. One might not want her too shiny.
    bruce

The parts I’m concerned about are some of the cabin trim, like curved bullnose trim or the pilot house windows where a little gloss really highlights. Most of the rest of the boat, including the hull, is flat paint which is fine with me. I know she’s not a yacht, but I just like to punch some detail.

I wonder (easy enough to try later when I get to the boat) if wiping the paint with a Penetrol rag would remove the chalkiness. Anyone do this?

What kind of paint do you use on the trim? Maybe use a one part urethane..Brightsides.
    Wet sand, build up thin coats.
    I recon penetrol would not be durable.

Unfortunately not a marine paint because of the custom color. It’s Miller enamel, but Miller doesn’t make their own oil based paints anymore so it’s something imported from CA.

From...California?
    When I spent a summer there on the boat en route to Panama 12 years ago, I could not purchase gloss oil paint, only semi gloss.
    environmental thing

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    What kind of paint do you use on the trim? Maybe use a one part urethane..Brightsides.
    Wet sand, build up thin coats.
    I recon penetrol would not be durable.
    Brightsides will stay glossy for at least 3 years. I'm lucky that I use their Seattle Gray & really like it - but maybe you could buy a few quarts & mix your color up?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Brightsides will stay glossy for at least 3 years. I'm lucky that I use their Seattle Gray & really like it - but maybe you could buy a few quarts & mix your color up?
    I read some online about custom mixing colors in Brightsides. It gets really complicated. Wish I could use one of their stock colors.

The one-step cleaner waxes (brands like Rule, West Marine, 3-M One-Step, etc.) are waxes containing a small amount of polishing compound. They will usually do a good job of restoring gloss to old enamel and getting rid of the chalking. I had an ancient Hobie 14 that I bought cheap. I painted the decks with teal colored Brightside and it sat outside for about twelve years after that. Every few years I'd polish it up with the cleaner wax and it came out looking really good. It eventually got to the point where I had nearly polished through the paint and you could see that it needed a new coat, but the stuff really worked great. That was the Rule brand cleaner/wax. I recently bought a bottle of the West Marine house brand to use on some gel coated fiberglass boats. It works fine and would do the same thing on paint.

That sounds tempting Todd, but I’m afraid if I put any wax on I would never get paint to stick again. I suppose if it were washed with TSP before sanding and painting tho that might solve the problem.

Purely as a thought as I have no idea whether this would work, or be a terrible mess, or make things difficult down the road for some reason, but what about putting on a coat of wipe-on clear polyurethane? The wipe-on is really thinned out so it won't build up much at all. I imagine that it would just sand off the next time you want to paint.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

*thanes and boats have always scared me, but maybe that is just an old leftover bias. I tried wiping Penetrol on, but it dries and disappeared. I like Todd’s idea of a cleaner wax, and as I always sand before painting anyway, the wax residue is probably not a problem. It’s easy to try on a grab rail or something.

I wooded the trunk cabin a couple of years ago and applied Interlux primer and Brightsides white topcoat. It still has its gloss and the leftover paint in the can is like new. No doubt that is a lot higher quality enamel than regular non-marine enamel. Just wish it came in my color.

Maybe an automotive polishing compound? No wax in that AFAIK.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...hoCxkAQAvD_BwE

I think Todd’s suggestion of the cleaner/wax is what I needed. I’m only concerned with small curved trim pieces like grab rails, bullnoses, hatch trim etc. the big flat areas don’t need gloss, but the highlights on the trim add some sparkle. I tried Westmarine restorer/cleaner and it shines it up a bit. No need to add more paint and this is something I can do at anchor. Thanks Todd.

I have had good results using 3M Finesse polishing compound on marine paint. Stuff is magic and will certainly restore / create gloss where you want it. Can get good results by hand application as well as machine.
    Only problem with cleaner wax is that now you have wax / silicone on the paint, which you will be reminded of when you re-coat. Finesse does not have any wax / silicone so is considered paint shop safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW6 View Post
    I have had good results using 3M Finesse polishing compound on marine paint. Stuff is magic and will certainly restore / create gloss where you want it. Can get good results by hand application as well as machine.
    Only problem with cleaner wax is that now you have wax / silicone on the paint, which you will be reminded of when you re-coat. Finesse does not have any wax / silicone so is considered paint shop safe.
    Thanks, that sounds better, as you mention the lack of wax and silicone. Expensive, but worth a try.

The polishing compound I posted above is silicone-free & about $4.00 for enough to do most all of your boat.

So are the cleaner/waxes that I posted. Wax and silicone are not the same thing and wax does not automatically contain silicone. There are some products advertised as some sort of easy, wipe on, wipe off "miracle" polishes (like you see in infomercials and interrupting your YouTube videos) which are very often loaded with silicone, as are a few of the products marketed as boat polish. They are to be avoided and it is your job to figure out what is in the products before you buy them using the MSDS or similar. Wax is not normally all that hard to remove for repainting and won't have the same sort of fisheye problems that silicone can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The polishing compound I posted above is silicone-free & about $4.00 for enough to do most all of your boat.
    You’ve been using your invisibility cloak again I see. Actually I did see your suggestion and I’ve tried plain rubbing compound. It removes some of the oxidation but it leaves more of a matte finish. It’s intended to be waxed over. The 3m Finesse is a glaze, whatever that means. But I just tried some and it leaves a much glossier finish than the DuPont rubbing compound.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    You’ve been using your invisibility cloak again I see. Actually I did see your suggestion and I’ve tried plain rubbing compound. It removes some of the oxidation but it leaves more of a matte finish. It’s intended to be waxed over. The 3m Finesse is a glaze, whatever that means. But I just tried some and it leaves a much glossier finish than the DuPont rubbing compound.
    But, but... It's polishing compound, not rubbing. Rubbing is much coarser. In fact, if it's a small area, try some toothpaste. But not whitening toothpaste - unless the paint is white of course