Thread: Bad cops, just a few bad apples? Apparently not...

Default Bad cops, just a few bad apples? Apparently not...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-philadelphia

After reading the book “ordinary men” about the acts committed by police battalion 101 in Nazi Germany this story is especially troubling.
    I do believe wholeheartedly it could happen again, and it could happen here.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Bad cops, just a few bad apples? Apparently not...

But a new review of police behavior on Facebook documents the systemic nature of the conduct across several departments.
    What's the systemic part?

"This is the kind of behavior that confirms the worst suspicions on the part of communities about the police," Kennedy said . . .
    Except the suspicion that it's systemic.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Default Bad cops, just a few bad apples? Apparently not...

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...650538496?s=21

Picking up trash while black.

Ken
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attitude goes right to the top, I wonder who does the recruiting, and who writes the criteria?.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

watch our RWW's step up with some cop love .

thrown in jail.
    is that the new phrase for using Dr. Guillotines invention?

While against capital punishment in general, I completely support it in cases of abuse of the publics trust.. cops, pols..

May I step up? I'm a card carrying progressive liberal Planned Parenthood donatin' Democrat.
    I also worked for the largest Sheriff's office in Washington for 16 years. Sure, there were jerks, but the vast majority were genuinely good hearted people. Three officers were murdered during my tenure. One was assassinated while getting out of his car. Shot by a guy with a hunting rifle. One was killed by a sword thrust through the door he was knocking on. The third was shot by a lowlife who had a warrant.
    They chose to do these jobs. No one forced them to.
    Imagine being the one to knock on a door and tell parents their children were dead.
    Or delivering a baby in a parking lot. Or doing CPR on a barroom floor. Or pulling a body out of a river.
    I'm proud to have been associated with those people. Good people.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    May I step up? ...
    Jim, there are some truly great people wearing a badge today. There is also some awful trash who use the badge to make themselves important at the expense of others.

Case in point: a friend complained that a cop in her town was stalking her 16 year old daughter and pulling her over every time she drove through town. He didn't shoot her, but he should have his badge taken.

I once had a red neck cop speed up behind me, no red and blue lights, no siren, then pull me over and threaten to beat me up when he failed to get the speeder in front of me. I was 17, it was late at night, the shoulder of the road was soft, and I was blinded by his high beams.

I was pulled over 3 years ago for driving the legal speed on a road, 2 lanes in each direction, because I was driving in the fast lane. I was the only car on the road.

My father reported to court for an accident where he was the victim and overheard 3 troopers planning to go out of town to get a suspect and transport him back. They were debating who would get to beat him up first.

So, I wasn't shot, but I wasn't black either. The level of professionalism and common courtesy among law enforcement is unacceptable.

Do you want to talk about a teenager in Chicago (was it?) walking down the middle of the street, a knife in his hand, 30 feet from the nearest person, getting shot how many times? How long are your arms? Can you reach 30 feet? Was there a threat, or was there the threat of a possible threat in the future? Was there a better way to handle it?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Remember the Tacoma police chief who murdered his wife, then shot himself, in their car, in a Gig Harbor store parking lot, with their two kids in the back seat ?
    Someone should have run a sword through him a day earlier...maybe his wife.
    Maybe cops should not be recruited from "temper fried".

They've always been there - it's just that social media has allowed them to show their true selves to a larger group.

There are many, many good cops out there & of course there are bad ones. What I'd like to see is for the good ones to step up & get rid of the bad ones though I'm sure that'd be very tough to do in a big department. One thing that I think would help would be to hire fewer military or ex-military. Sure - they have the gun training, but they do not necessarily have the right training for working in a US community. They have been trained to kill the enemy after all.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

FWIW, the Philadelphia police force has a long unpleasant history. Look up Frank Rizzo.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Rizzo's Raiders leave a long dark stain on Philly that will take a couple of generations to wash out
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have a good friend who is a (now retired) Seattle homicide detective. He also paid his dues earlier as a beat cop. He’s a very nice guy with mostly very good values and I fully trust that he is mostly a fair and just man. Yet he still occasionally makes a subtle racist remark, and although he rarely posts on Facebook I notice his one post was to repost a derisive Mueller witch hunt meme. I think the culture and daily work environment can still poison even the good ones a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Sawyer View Post
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...650538496?s=21

Picking up trash while black.

Ken
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this can happen in Boulder, it can happen anywhere. Heaven help the black folks.

I’m real torn on this issue. As a white male, good driver/citizen, I generally avoid the worst of police behavior. Most of my interactions are airport cops meeting the aircraft because a passenger thought the rules didn’t apply to them. In that scenario their usually very respectful—then there’s all that video, Sandra Bland, all those dead kids from obviously mismanaged situations that are burned into my brain forever. . .
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I’m real torn on this issue. As a white male, good driver/citizen, I generally avoid the worst of police behavior. Most of my interactions are airport cops meeting the aircraft because a passenger thought the rules didn’t apply to them. In that scenario their usually very respectful—then there’s all that video, Sandra Bland, all those dead kids from obviously mismanaged situations that are burned into my brain forever. . .
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Cops bully people for a living. It's the job description, pure and simple. They bully people into obeying the law and they bully the ones who don't into suffering the consequences.

People don't get drafted into the police force, they volunteer and have to go through a significant amount of training. What sort of person do you expect would want the job?

Now, having said that, what would life be like without them? The bullies on the wrong side of the law would take over. Ya can't win, but having a police force is the lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Cops bully people for a living.
    A mature adult doing a difficult job knows when bullying is not needed.

The problem is they do not view themselves as a part of the same society they protect and serve. They stand apart. The respect they want is little different from the "respect" demanded by a gang or crime syndicate: they mistake fear for respect.