Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Boat Capsizes During Last Leg of Circumnavigation

Default Wooden Boat Capsizes During Last Leg of Circumnavigation

From USCG;

Coast Guard rescues 2 from capsized sailboat, 65 miles east of New Jersey

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Coast Guard crews rescued a man and woman from a capsized sailboat about 65 miles east of Atlantic City late Wednesday night.
    The Coast Guard’s Fifth District Command Center in Portsmouth, Virginia, was notified of the vessel’s distress after receiving an alert from the crew’s Electronic Position Indicating Radio Beacon.
    Watchstanders called the emergency contact registered with the EPIRB, who said the mariners have been sailing around the world for the past few years on the 55-foot wooden-hull sailboat, Bertie, and the last leg of the trip had been from the Bahamas to New York City.
    The vessel was outside of range for VHF and cell reception, so watchstanders directed the Coast Guard Cutter Lawrence Lawson, an Air Station Atlantic City MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew and an Air Station Elizabeth City HC-130 Hercules airplane crew to the EPIRB’s location, where the sailboat was found capsized.
    “When our helicopter arrived on-scene, the crew followed a blinking strobe light and discovered a man and a woman clinging to the hull of their capsized sailboat," said Lt. Tyler Bittner, the operations duty officer in Atlantic City.
    Both mariners were hoisted aboard the MH-65 Dolphin helicopter and brought back to Air Station Atlantic City, where they were met by awaiting EMS.
    The Coast Guard Cutter Lawrence Lawson remained on scene to mark the sailboat and attempt to recover the EPIRB.
    "This was an extremely challenging hoist due to on-scene conditions, but the entire crew came together to work as a team to get the job done," said Lt. Anthony Monteforte, one of the helicopter pilots on the case. "I am extremely proud of my crew and all of the other assets that aided in this rescue and thankful that the survivors onboard used a currently registered EPIRB so that we could quickly locate them."

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Wooden Boat Capsizes During Last Leg of Circumnavigation

Unusual that it would still be afloat. Did the ballast keel drop off or something?

Strangest picture I've seen for a while. So it's not just Bavarias and beneteaus that lose keels eh. It'll be interesting to hear what the keelbolts were made of. Veryoldinium perhaps.

Spray replica by the looks.
    Last edited by John B; 05-30-2019 at 04:50 PM.

What they said. Why would the rescuers want to recover the EPIRB? Just to switch it off? Extremely hazardous hoist due to on scene conditions. Not in those photos.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Strangest picture I've seen for a while. So it's not just Bavarias and beneteaus that lose keels eh. It'll be interesting to hear what the keelbolts were made of. Veryoldinium perhaps.
    Lost keel is my speculation. Don't know for sure that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What they said. Why would the rescuers want to recover the EPIRB? Just to switch it off? Extremely hazardous hoist due to on scene conditions. Not in those photos.

I don't believe they are referring to weather or sea conditions, but rather all the lines and rigging in the water that could entangle a person.

Lot of rust on the deck from something.
    Last edited by navydog; 05-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.

A local race boat lost its keel on the way to America ( for the transpac )yesterday too. It's a canting keel boat, the whole shebang went for the depths in light weather. The boat is upright and they're waiting to be rescued now. It strikes me that if they were to drop the rig they could turn it into a power launch, but I don't know what else is damaged or how much fuel they have.
    Ran tan.
    Last edited by John B; 05-31-2019 at 02:19 AM.

If it is indeed a Spray replica, it would likely have inside ballast. Maybe it shifted.

What they said. Why would the rescuers want to recover the EPIRB? Just to switch it off? Extremely hazardous hoist due to on scene conditions.
    A line of frontal system reportedly blew through the east coast US yesterday with t-storms, hail, tornadoes...all of which can be short lived but violent.

Spray replica by the looks.
    Good eye, John!

From their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bertie-1...=page_internal

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 6.09.35 PM.jpg

"BERTIE, a heavy yawl built on the general lines of Slocum's SPRAY. Designed and built by Peter W. Bailey, Sausalito, California, 1976-84."

The couple, from Pt. Townsend, WA.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 6.09.42 PM.jpg
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yea that's Bertie. Popular well known boat on the west coast from San Fran to Port Townsend.
    Shifting ballast be my guess. Big bubble of air keeping her afloat.
    Weird that it is so calm in the photo,wth?

She is a very beamy not very deep vessel.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 05-30-2019 at 06:32 PM.

They say a microburst knocked them over. The same front did some serious damage when in passed through my area a bit earlier in the evening. Shifting ballast, if that was it, could certainly keep her on her side. The main is a full battened junk rig.

What a tough way to end the cruise. EPIRB saved them. They have some recent photos on facebook. Seems all was going well until this.

The boat does not have a deep keel:

https://www.facebook.com/14660503552...9486243941221/
    -Dave

I've heard Spray replicas do not have a good safety record for circumnavigators. Slocum chose that boat because that's what he had.

Damn; the owner of Bertie was a regular on the Boat Design Forum and seemed like a really nice guy, if I recall correctly. I remember him as being someone who loved his own boat and respected those who loved very different types. She was a modified Spray with a big junk rig, I think.

"BERTIE" had a huge junk rig, Peter referred to it as a "Big chicken eye" sail and it was very powerful. Maybe she was just overwhelmed and lay too far over for the sail to reef. Hope all is well with them (Peter and his wife)

The skipper, I am assuming to be the same person did a documentary on the Farrels a while back. It's on Youtube.

Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

From their Facebook Photos.

They have reportedly lost everything, and there is a GoFundMe page to help them:

https://www.gofundme.com/1niftccdio?...nstaticsmall_r

What are you doing about it?

Sad boat loss, glad everyone is okay. I carry an EPIRB, two really because I upgraded but kept the old one with an expired battery that tests good. I also carry a liferaft, and when cruising, a dinghy. It's been very calm here the last few days, except for thunderstorms. I can see a scenario of sailing in light air, overcast, possibly foggy, then being hit by a squall. She lays over, takes water, shifts ballast and dies. Though now I wonder if she even sank, or is waiting to sink others.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    They have reportedly lost everything, and there is a GoFundMe page to help them:

https://www.gofundme.com/1niftccdio?...nstaticsmall_r
    Thanks for the link. Wooden boat cruisers are a small community.

This is very sad, the boat looks to be well kept and they were living the dream. I am very glad they survived, this is a good endorsement for an EPIRB. Looks like external ballast to me, at least part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    This is very sad, the boat looks to be well kept and they were living the dream. I am very glad they survived, this is a good endorsement for an EPIRB. Looks like external ballast to me, at least part of it.
    I don't think most Spray replicas have external ballast. I expect Rob and Whizzbang are right, the ballast shifted, and the crew were lucky that an air bubble kept the vessel afloat.

Man, I just put an extra 650 pounds of lead nogs on Woodwind this past winter.
    She is designed to carry 20 percent internal, which, for a cruising boat like mine, might be ground tackle, food, tools ...I carry less crap as we do fewer ocean bashes.
    Gotta make sure I lag it down to the keel before we tackle any squalls.
    My own fear of shifting ballast has always been that it would fracture the planking and sink the boat.
    Seeing her like this, (assuming she has a bubble) , is not something I had thought of . I recon she has a heavy ceiling.
    bruce

Fastened internal ballast and watertight bulkheads do help
    Boat Designer. Boatbuilder

When William Nutting was lost at sea on a big Colin Archer, the speculation was that she got knocked over on her beam ends and the beach stone ballast came thundering down, though the deck, and sent the boat to the bottom. Its a scary thought.

She does have ceiling, but I still find it hard to believe she'd be afloat at all with all her ballast on or in. I'm trying to talk myself into accepting the spars aloft have helped her float . Very scary, thank goodness they're safe.
    We have to meet category 1 to sail a boat away here, part of which is an ability to recover from a knockdown or inversion. I dont believe Bertie would have achieved that .

She does have ceiling, but I still find it hard to believe she'd be afloat at all with all her ballast on or in. I'm trying to talk myself into accepting the spars aloft have helped her float . Very scary, thank goodness they're safe.
    We have to meet category 1 to sail a boat away here, part of which is an ability to recover from a knockdown or inversion. I dont believe Bertie would have achieved that .
    See there you go putting me off visiting NZ. The money I'd have to spend to achieve Cat 1, I hate to think. I'd probably have to stay there forever.

What are a few of the things you'd need to do Phil?
    I recon Woody would not make the grade.
    bruce

Its only for New Zealand registered vessels.
    New Zealand cat 1

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Its only for New Zealand registered vessels.
    New Zealand cat 1
    That's a relief. I have heard, probably under an older regime, of foreign boats not bring allowed to leave.

I was on Facebook also looking but there's no word about the boat, did it go completely down? I thought they said it sank in shallow water? I don't imagine it was shallow, 65 miles out.

Pretty terrible way to end a circumnavigation

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I think there is very little category 1 stuff you wouldn't have or would want to have.... not that you need it as a foreign reg vessel anyway.
    Balia would meet the fundamental righting moment specs surely.120 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I was on Facebook also looking but there's no word about the boat, did it go completely down? I thought they said it sank in shallow water? I don't imagine it was shallow, 65 miles out.

Pretty terrible way to end a circumnavigation

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    I don't think it was the end of a circumnavigation, it was the end of the beginning of a circumnavigation.
    Stuff you read......

I've been aboard Bertie. Peter built her and he knows every bolt aboard her. He's a fantastic shipwright and sailor. I won't second guess the circumstances, but wait for Peter's own account. I'm grateful he and Heidi are OK.

I think there is very little category 1 stuff you wouldn't have or would want to have.... not that you need it as a foreign reg vessel anyway.
    Balia would meet the fundamental righting moment specs surely.120 degrees.
    Yeah it just be silly stuff like getting my life raft serviced or getting a new one. The boat itself is fine. I imagine you need emergency steering. I have no idea how I'd do that.

Burke drogue.