Thread: Epoxy Clouding, How to fix

Default Epoxy Clouding, How to fix

The attached photos are my 8 feet sailing dinghy. I took the cover off today and surprise, there was all this clouding. I suspect moisture, but why is almost all of it on one side? I tried wiping it with accetone. Nothing. Didn't change at all. The boat is coated with System 3 Epoxy. Is there any way to fix this, short of sanding it down and re-coating it with epoxy.
    DinchyClouds1.jpgDinchyClouds2.jpgDinchyClouds3.jpg
    "Don't tell me that I can't. Tell me how I can!"
    Ike
    New Boatbuilders Home Page

Default Re: Epoxy Clouding, How to fix

Given that the epoxy is well and truly cured, I think the reason will be different from what happens when fresh epoxy turns cloudy.
    Try sanding and polishing it out with 1000 grit sandpaper, and then a polish. I've seen a similar effect on an old car's paint after the cover has been removed.

My thinking is that possibly the cover may have had water resting on it in those areas which magnified the sun's heat which caused the discolouring.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

That plywood looks like( in addition to being cloudy )it is sunburnt epoxied occoume.
    Sand her with 80 grit and coat her with Interlux 2000 then a paint of your choice.
    Maybe sand it all off .How is the inside?

The inside is pristine. Looks like it did when I built the boat 10 years ago. I completely re-coated the bottom and sides last summer. It's been covered since last October. If I had a shed or garage that's where it would be kept but no such luck since I live in my RV in an RV park. See. http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/Dinghy.html It's sitting on top of my 12 foot rowboat, on a trailer. Anyway, I suspect I'll have to lightly sand it and do it over. That is Occoume. Don't know about the sunburnt.
    Ike

I'd leave it in fresh air and sunlight for a few days before attacking it.might just be some moisture in there

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's what I plan to do.
    Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Eikenberry View Post
    The inside is pristine. Looks like it did when I built the boat 10 years ago. I completely re-coated the bottom and sides last summer. It's been covered since last October. If I had a shed or garage that's where it would be kept but no such luck since I live in my RV in an RV park. See. http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/Dinghy.html It's sitting on top of my 12 foot rowboat, on a trailer. Anyway, I suspect I'll have to lightly sand it and do it over. That is Occoume. Don't know about the sunburnt.
    What is your cover made from? The plastic tarps will still let through some of the suns UV rays.

It's a boat cover, some canvas material. But I suspect it trapped moisture under the cover. It's very damp here in the winter, typical Pacific Northwest.
    Ike

Maybe put some spacers under thee next time so the tarp can breathe