Thread: 1965 Owens Granada

Default 1965 Owens Granada

Thinking about purchasing a 1965 Owens Granada. Information is very vague on the internet. Boat appears to be very nice but it is a wood boat. Looks can be deceiving. Any thoughts. Thanks. Dave. First time here

Default Re: 1965 Owens Granada

Welcome to the Forum!
    Any pictures and info will help to get things started.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Any pictures and info will help to get things started.
    Thank you I will figure out how to do pics. I received an email from owner 31,000 spent at the end of 2017 bottom sides and transom Canít see how to add pics. Stockton California Craigslist. Search Owens. Black boat comes up. Just an option until I figure out. Thanks. Dave

When typing a reply, click on the icon third from the right (insert image). Browse pictures on your computer/device and upload.

I looked at craigslist. The 40 footer? Nice looking boat and an excellent buy if the photos are recent and not from 20 years ago.
    If you are serious, everyone here at the Forum will agree with me on one thing: Get a survey! Hire a good marine surveyor, haul the boat and have him take a good look. Have him poke around everything and run the engines. If the seller is not willing to do this, walk away and don't look back. All sorts of horrors can lurk beneath those beautiful photos. Or, it can be pure heaven and no problems. But without a survey, you are taking a huge risk. This would be true with a glass boat also.

Big wooden power boats are in the back corners of marinas all over the country, decaying, and available for peanuts.

Hire a surveyor who knows wooden boats.

Appreciate the feedback greatly. I have contacted surveyor and sent him 31,000 dollars worth of work that was done to boat 2017 end of year. Then the nest step I will take out. Marina told me he pulls it out every few years and fixes everything. We will see. I was on boat last week. Runs perfect. Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

Owens is not not a desirable marque.

My understanding is that Owens was a quality boatbuilder that used the best materials available at the time. Why are they not a desirable marque?

Google: Owens Yacht Marque Club. Perhaps the folks there can help also.

owens may not have the cachet of Chris Craft or the others.. unlike the others, they pioneered the mass production of wooden boats, and have always suffered a bad reputation due to it. They are not bad boats, but they are considered more like a chevy than a caddy. Maybe someday when all Chris Crafts are gone, people will realize what they let rot.

While we did not own it, friends of ours had a very nice Owens Margarita. You don't see them anymore, I think they all rotted away. You can't find a single floating example on the internet. It's true they were made of plywood, but like many boats, it was not sheets, but cross planked of rather thick sheets. They can be a good solid boat
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I generally agree with Pat F. on this one. Owens' up into the mid '50's were good boats. From the later 50's and much of the '60's they weren't even up to the "Chevy" of boats, ok, .... well maybe the Chevy Vega of boats (or Ford Pinto). They built a lot of sheet plywood boats that were very lightly built (small frames with very large spacing, minimal scantlings, ... basically lake boats).
    Many of their plank on frame boats may have been intended to be better boats, built their downfall was their construction technique. Owens built with double planked bottoms (just like Chris Craft) .... and double planked sides (Chris Craft used batten seam construction on the sides, from the chine to the deck) On many models of Owens, they also used an atypical planking schedule, where the hood ends of the planks from about the forward windshield forward do not end at the stem, the plank ends actually run up and out at the shear. The problems that this caused was that any moisture / leaking at the toe rails up forward allowed moisture into 1) the end grain of the planking, and 2) the moisture would get into the cotton muslin between the layers of planking up forward where the muslin could not dry out. Owens of this construction were subject to horrible topside rotting problems, many times the planking up forward would turn to mush completely from the deck to the chine.

This one does look well maintained, and as with anything of this age, condition and maintenance speak more than the name.
    Last edited by nedL; 05-30-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Can not thank you all enough. I have seen this boat and was all over decks. Feels very solid. And not altered at all. 100 percent original and the marina said that anything at all wrong. Was always repaired immediately..great feedback. I am going to survey piece of mind. Thanks again.

Also has been under covered slip for ever

When Owens was bought by Brunswick, the recreational conglomerate of the day, that is when the quality went south. Like many of the big-volume boat production builders of the day, the had a "value" line along with a high(er) quality line. Most of the "value" models Owens were in the 20-30' range, and many were made of sheet plywood or "lapstrake" hullsides with a sheet bottom with hard chines. Those boats were pretty lightly framed, lightly built, and easily driven (fast) on flat waters on single V-8 power. The larger twin-engine boats were still of a double-planked solid mahogany construction, over sawed frames. They tended to rot from the inside out, and the double cross-diagonal planking could make a good repair labor intensive, meaning expensive. Because they had the stigma associated with a "value" line boat, they weren't worth as much in the used market, so many of those boats weren't repaired, or weren't properly repaired.

The boat you are looking at was one of Owen's better-line boats. Top-heavy, probably not much of a boat in a seaway, but a roomy cottage on the water and ok underway in benign conditions. Expect a lot of wind-age with all that superstructure maneuvering in a breeze, though.

Where Brunswick-Owens was able to compete on price against the competition on their better-line boats, such as this one, was they really went cheep on the fittings, hardware and systems.

That’s very good info gluesniffer. The fit and finish of this boat looks pretty good. The fact it’s completely original is great to me as well. My only hang up is a lot of money 31k was spent on hull end of 2017. Did they get it all ????? I guess I’m going to order survey and see. Thanks again

No, they didn’t get it all. Not every year, or even every other year, will be a $31,000 year. But you should expect to spend money on this boat to keep it in good shape. Which is true for any boat in this size range and vintage. The cost of the boat is just the price of entry in this kind of thing. If you buy it you will end up spending several times that on upkeep and moorage in not too long a time.

I know that sounds terribly pessimistic,but it’s not. It’s just reality.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Got it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I generally agree with Pat F. on this one. Owens' up into the mid '50's were good boats. From the later 50's and much of the '60's they weren't even up to the "Chevy" of boats, ok, .... well maybe the Chevy Vega of boats (or Ford Pinto). They built a lot of sheet plywood boats that were very lightly built (small frames with very large spacing, minimal scantlings, ... basically lake boats).
    Many of their plank on frame boats may have been intended to be better boats, built their downfall was their construction technique. Owens built with double planked bottoms (just like Chris Craft) .... and double planked sides (Chris Craft used batten seam construction on the sides, from the chine to the deck) On many models of Owens, they also used an atypical planking schedule, where the hood ends of the planks from about the forward windshield forward do not end at the stem, the plank ends actually run up and out at the shear. The problems that this caused was that any moisture / leaking at the toe rails up forward allowed moisture into 1) the end grain of the planking, and 2) the moisture would get into the cotton muslin between the layers of planking up forward where the muslin could not dry out. Owens of this construction were subject to horrible topside rotting problems, many times the planking up forward would turn to mush completely from the deck to the chine.

This one does look well maintained, and as with anything of this age, condition and maintenance speak more than the name.
    I saw this exact scenario on an 40í Owens Aruba that was next to me. The inner planking composted and rotted the outside planking. The belts on the travel hoist went right through the bottom when the yard tried to move the boat....total loss.
    The smaller flagship models in the 32 - 36í range always looked well built to me though.
    I would make sure you had a thorough survey by someone with knowledge of these boats.

Thanks

Actually thinking about passing now. Maybe be patient look for Chris Craft or Stephens

If there is anything in the world, currently, that's harder to get rid of than a big old fiberglass power cruiser, its big old wooden power cruiser. As many have already pointed out here, there are lots and lots big wooden cruisers can be had for peanuts.And, unfortunately, for many of them, even a free boat is priced waaaaaay too expensive. But if you've decided that you really want one of these , you should be able to do really well if you take the time, reseach and investigate the market, and find some really good, knowledgeable guidance. Its beyond a buyers market. Be patient and are willing to hunt around some, you should be able to find something nice for a reasonable price. In this marketplace, "once-in-a-lifetime" deals come along just about every other day.

And being from northern Ohio, not far from semi-picturesque Port Clinton, I'll have to put in a plug for my personal favorite, Matthews. If you like that DCFB layout, check out their 42' DCFB
    model from the late fifties thru the early 60's. I know they were very popular on the west coast.

I definitely can be patient. Not in a hurry. Going to start checking out marinas and see what I can find. Funny. Had someone try to give me a 1965 Chris Craft 46’. It was really bad. Thanks for all the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Monts39 View Post
    Thinking about purchasing a 1965 Owens Granada. Information is very vague on the internet. Boat appears to be very nice but it is a wood boat. Looks can be deceiving. Any thoughts. Thanks. Dave. First time here
    But it is a wood boat ? You should have said And its a WOOD BOAT ! LOL.

Quite a few years back I owned a 1967 Owens. It was right around 27 feet, but for the life of me I can not remember the name that Owens pegged it with. It was actually a well built boat . All the framing, plywood, and fasteners were made of top notch materials. The only gripe I had with it was the fake plastic decking stuff they covered the exterior decks with - they called it Nauti hyde or something but was actually nothing but glorified contact paper. I enjoyed the boat but it was a money pit, no doubt about it.