Thread: This seems like a really bad idea. Am I missing something?

Default This seems like a really bad idea. Am I missing something?

I've never used a router table but am thinking of setting one up so have been looking at info online. This image I found is just of a hand model in a photo shoot for Rockler but it still just looks wrong to me. Seems like without supporting the work against the fence or putting some distance between the bit and your body parts you'd be a some risk of losing those fingers. Or would this actually be a reasonable way to use the tool?

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that this photo is showing use of a height gauge that is not meant to be used while the router is operating. My mistake!
    Last edited by cstevens; 05-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: This seems like a really bad idea. Am I missing something?

Oh, hell, no!

That is an art director's idea transmitted to a photographer's studio of how to illustrate a product. Obviously nobody involved in the production of that photo ever used a power tool.

Buy the tool, read the safety instructions carefully, use your head, and enjoy using the tool. If you ever find yourself looking at a piece you are working on and the scene looks like the above photo, turn off the lights, leave the shop, and go take a nap; you are obviously overtired and aren't thinking clearly.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

That voice in your head that said "that looks like a bad idea", is right. Listen to that voice.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

As noted above, "There's the plan, then there's what actually happens."

I wonder if they could be sued for that.

Ok then. That's pretty much what I thought. Not that I'm looking at product ads for tool use technique but I do think Rockler might be a bit more careful about what they put out there. I don't know if they could be sued (probably - I mean you can sue for just about anything) but it does seem like they should be modeling good practice rather than the opposite.

You're not missing anything, but if that photo was of someone actually using the tool - they were about to be missing something... That's nuts!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yes, many things wrong there, including not using the fence. There are many cases similar to that with a bearing bit where you would not use the fence. But in this particular case, the material stock is not thick enough to engage the bearing. If that router were spinning, there would be blood soaked white plastic and flesh all over the far wall.

(BTW, I have that same Rockler router table. And I also still have ten fingers.)

heh heh, it's just for setting height when the router is off. A measurement tool, not the work.
    https://www.rockler.com/router-bit-s...and-style-bits
    bcmarinetrails.org - an attempt, by volunteers, to protect and enable 27,000 km of continuous camping and accesses along and around the whole Wild West Coast of British Columbia - for small beachable craft

I guess some of us are more apt to get injured during the jump to conclusions.

Ah - thanks Mick! That makes sense. Ok.

P.S. I blame Facebook... (since that’s where the photo showed up, with no explanation as to what it was depicting)

But there is a valuable lesson here. I was taught that when working with power tools especially, any time you feel uncomfortable with a set-up or procedure, don't do it!! Stop and re-think it.
    So thanks Chris, for this important safety reminder!
    pvg

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    P.S. I blame Facebook... (since that’s where the photo showed up, with no explanation as to what it was depicting)
    No problem, it's fairly easy to remove small body parts on machinery so advocacy is a good thing. I had a customer's employee cut half his hand off making door molding with 4 1/2" cove beads on a shaper. The employee was an older experienced wood worker and he said to his helper seconds before the incident. " Never do this it's extremely dangerous" He was right. He was pushing the material across the cutter head without using hold downs or an automatic feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I guess some of us are more apt to get injured during the jump to conclusions.
    In "The Phantom Tollbooth" the only way back from having jumped to the Island of Conclusions was to swim the Sea of Knowledge. It was observed that some people can swim the Sea of Knowledge without getting wet.

https://www.rockler.com/router-bit-s...and-style-bits
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by pvg View Post
    But there is a valuable lesson here. I was taught that when working with power tools especially, any time you feel uncomfortable with a set-up or procedure, don't do it!! Stop and re-think it.
    So thanks Chris, for this important safety reminder!
    pvg
    Best advice in the shop for power tools. I wonder how many of the incidents come after being warned by that uncomfortable feeling that you should not do what you are about to do. I've gotten better at heeding the gut feelings that have preceded most of my foibles.

This is a prime example of false assumptions leading to poor advice. Frankly I could not imagine anyone actually attempting to runs such a small part through such a large router bit, even with fences, guards, etc in place.
    Tom L

Thanks everyone for the comments and safety advice. It's all useful and informative, and I've learned quite a bit. However as Mick and Dave has noted, my original post was mistaken. I saw the photo out of context and it looked incorrect to me, but in fact it's showing use of a height gauge. No fingers are at risk! I've edited the OP to clarify.

Thanks Chris. I learned something too. That I can jump to conclusions with the best of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Thanks Chris. I learned something too. That I can jump to conclusions with the best of 'em.
    Well to be fair, my original post was misleading. Mea culpa.

My point was that you saw something that made you uncomfortable so you stopped- hypothetically- and questioned it. Your post was not "misleading." Misleading is not the same as mistaken. Obviously others here made the same mistake upon seeing the photo...
    I again commend you for initiating this discussion of safety in the shop.
    pvg

Most of my router bits have bearing wheels. If the wheel doesn't have good contact at setup, the effort stops right there.

A good thing to consider : If you are rushed, tired, or distracted - that is NOT the time to be working around power tools.

Even if the original photo is showing a height adjustment with the tool off, that is still too risky for me. I want the power cord plug sitting on the table right next to the bit while I adjust it. That way, I have visual confirmation the tool will not start accidentally which can happen if you only have it switched off. I do the same with a table saw when changing blades.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomRose View Post
    Even if the original photo is showing a height adjustment with the tool off, that is still too risky for me. I want the power cord plug sitting on the table right next to the bit while I adjust it. That way, I have visual confirmation the tool will not start accidentally which can happen if you only have it switched off. I do the same with a table saw when changing blades.
    That's a really good idea!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When changing bits, blades or whatever, the power cord is unplugged and where I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    It looks like FaceBook isn't any better when it comes to power tools than it is when it comes to politics!