Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Yacht “My Song” fell off the transport ship

Default Re: Super Yacht “My Song” fell off the transport ship

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Could be that the hull cracked when subjected to forces it wasn't designed for when it hit the water at a weird angle.
    Look what happened in the 1990's to the America's Cup boat, Australia One. It hit a five foot wave when only designed for mill-pond conditions. Cracked in half and sank like a stone in seconds.
    When its cradle collapsed it will have fallen from the height of its ballast fin keel onto the steel structure of the ships hatch coamings or deck edge before sliding overboard. Plenty of opportunities to punch or rip a hole in the shell.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    That looks like an expensive way to move a boat, but I suppose after accounting for crew, consumables and wear it pencils out. How does the shipping company charge for something like that? Square feet of deck space?
    It is common for yachts to be transported from the Carribean in spring to the Med for summer, and back again for winter. They often use submersible ships so that the yachts are floated on and off.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    When its cradle collapsed it will have fallen from the height of its ballast fin keel onto the steel structure of the ships hatch coamings or deck edge before sliding overboard. Plenty of opportunities to punch or rip a hole in the shell.
    I googled the boat and learned that it has a lifting fin keel. 16' draft when raised, 23' draft when down. I've no idea of the answer, but would they transport a vessel that large with a 16' long keel under her or would they remove the keel for transport?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    "...it's similar to the laughing that happens when someone crunches the bottom of their supercar on a parking lot speed bump."

I would not find that funny either, unless the driver richly deserved it by their jack-assery immediately prior to impact. Merely being able to afford the vehicle does not automatically qualify one for being a jackass, though, and that is where I find this course of conversation disappointing.

Somewhere there are a number of talented, driven, focused craftspeople who have lived, eaten, and breathed these objects of higher engineering and construction in order to create a vehicle that performs in the top few tenths of a percent of their class, and yet some pig-headed troglodytes find humour in their destruction because of the jealousy of the person's wealth who was able to finance their creation.

But I know that my words here will not change anything. Hatred of the 'other' is gaining momentum and acceptance in today's North American society, and being wealthy is most people's 'other'. It doesn't matter if the wealth was gained by means fair or foul, or whether the wealthy person uses their money for good or evil; wealth is 'other', so hate them all equally, eh?

Sour grapes, per chance?
    Your biases are showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Your biases are showing.
    What biases would those be? That a wealthy person employing a lot of skilled craftspeople is OK? As he says, it's not money that makes a person bad. I know some people with significant amounts of money that are kind, thoughtful, generous people. I know some poor people who are selfish jerks.

Care to expand on this?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe someone cranked down on some chain dogs a bit too hard.
    There was an hour long TV documentary on a dedicated yacht carry ship, and they featured constant tightening of the chains during the bumpy voyage. Can't see it listed under "Mighty Ships" episodes, but one of those Nat Geo or Smithso series. I believe the ship was semi submersible for loading/unloading and divers had to fuss with aligning on the cradles. They covered the financial aspects, and it made sense for even some utilitarian vessels - not just a vanity trip. Of course to keep the viewers engaged, they maintained a shrill level of real or imagined dangers.
    "Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What biases would those be? That a wealthy person employing a lot of skilled craftspeople is OK? As he says, it's not money that makes a person bad. I know some people with significant amounts of money that are kind, thoughtful, generous people. I know some poor people who are selfish jerks.

Care to expand on this?
    In short;

I said that the attitude of mirth directed at this "boat" falling off its transport ship is similar to the mirth directed at a high performance car scraping it's bottom going over a parking lot speed bump. There is far more mirth directed at a Ferrari dragging bottom than a Volvo, not because the Ferrari is worth more, but because it's a toy that is being used in the real world, a world it was never really designed for. I suspect that if the boat that fell off were a classic Alden, no-one would be laughing. But this boat was never designed for the real world, it was designed as a toy, to race around against other, similar toys. I know a few people with high performance cars. Most are jerks, but that is neither here nor there. The only place that they can actually use 10% of the performance of them is by racing around in circles on a private track. They take them out on the streets to drive not because they are comfortable or practical, but because they want to peacock and flash their feathers. Of course people are going to laugh if they scrape bottom. It's human nature to laugh at anyone that is trying to draw attention to themselves by showing off, when they fail.

As to biases;
    Does mmd attach the same value to the engineers, designers and workmen that build dodge trucks that the owners supe up and take mud-bogging? Or to the engineers, designers and craftsmen that build high end rifles? Or the ones that designed and build AR derivitives? Or does he see these activities and products as less valuable for the people that put their lives into them? He has, after all, commented on the stupidity of at least one of them regularly.

He likes boats. He likes big boats. He likes the people that buy big boats, so of course he sees them in a positive light.

By the way, I never said that I laughed at the destruction of this boat, I said that I understood why people would and do. That was enough to get mmd to jump on me. A little overly sensitive perhaps?

I also said my sympathy is inversely proportional to conspicuous consumption. I feel less for this guy than the African fisherman that relies on his boat to live. Same would apply to the destruction of a 20000 sq ft mansion in an earthquake compared to a 1000 sq ft trailer that is all the people can afford. Nothing to do with jealousy of wealth. More to do with sympathy towards those that have little.

They covered the financial aspects, and it made sense for even some utilitarian vessels - not just a vanity trip. Of course to keep the viewers engaged, they maintained a shrill level of real or imagined dangers.
    There used to be a regular business for delivery crews bringing new boats made in Europe and elsewhere to the U.S. My understanding is that that business has pretty much dried up, since most manufacturers just load them all on ships now.
    -Dave

In short;

I said that the attitude of mirth directed at this "boat" falling off its transport ship is similar to the mirth directed at a high performance car scraping it's bottom going over a parking lot speed bump. There is far more mirth directed at a Ferrari dragging bottom than a Volvo, not because the Ferrari is worth more, but because it's a toy that is being used in the real world, a world it was never really designed for. I suspect that if the boat that fell off were a classic Alden, no-one would be laughing. But this boat was never designed for the real world, it was designed as a toy, to race around against other, similar toys. I know a few people with high performance cars. Most are jerks, but that is neither here nor there. The only place that they can actually use 10% of the performance of them is by racing around in circles on a private track. They take them out on the streets to drive not because they are comfortable or practical, but because they want to peacock and flash their feathers. Of course people are going to laugh if they scrape bottom. It's human nature to laugh at anyone that is trying to draw attention to themselves by showing off, when they fail.

As to biases;
    Does mmd attach the same value to the engineers, designers and workmen that build dodge trucks that the owners supe up and take mud-bogging? Or to the engineers, designers and craftsmen that build high end rifles? Or the ones that designed and build AR derivitives? Or does he see these activities and products as less valuable for the people that put their lives into them? He has, after all, commented on the stupidity of at least one of them regularly.

He likes boats. He likes big boats. He likes the people that buy big boats, so of course he sees them in a positive light.

By the way, I never said that I laughed at the destruction of this boat, I said that I understood why people would and do. That was enough to get mmd to jump on me. A little overly sensitive perhaps?

I also said my sympathy is inversely proportional to conspicuous consumption. I feel less for this guy than the African fisherman that relies on his boat to live. Same would apply to the destruction of a 20000 sq ft mansion in an earthquake compared to a 1000 sq ft trailer that is all the people can afford. Nothing to do with jealousy of wealth. More to do with sympathy towards those that have little.

Theres no mirth at all, unless one is selfish, self-centered, envious and mean spirited.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

One might argue that all pleasure boats are 'toys' apart from live-aboards (so housing), it is just a question of wallet size.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    One might argue that all pleasure boats are 'toys' apart from live-aboards (so housing), it is just a question of wallet size.
    Agree. Guilty as charged

Dreaming a schooner since 1988:

One is reminded of when Drum lost it's keel in the '85 Fastnet. The owner, Simon Le Bon, was derided as a diletantte pop star getting involved in something he didn't understand, just because it was fashionable.
    He retorted that he had sailed all his life, just that now he could afford a bigger boat.

Thank you Decourcy. I see your points. That's not to say I agree 100% - but I have always admired proficiency - whether it's in boat design or operating a backhoe. Skill is skill.

Now this - I completely agree with:

My opinion is quite simple, really: I do not find humour in the destruction of well-crafted objects, whether they be worth hundreds of dollars or millions. Boats, pickup trucks, tooled leather belts, you name it; if someone spend time and treasure to create something at the very top of their skill range, it is valuable and not to be laughed at when it is unnecessarily damaged. I love The Who, but I always cringed when they destroyed their instruments on-stage.

I would, however, feel satisfaction at seeing AR derivatives destroyed. A fine rifle is a useful tool for hunting big game; but an AR is a weapon of war that has no right to exist outside of a national armoury. Feast on that...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Some boats are crafted to be used for as long as they will hold together. Others are crafted to last a season or 2, until someone else builds one lighter and faster. One will get scrapped as garbage (can you imagine one of the boats like that in the OP being used as a pleasure boat after its brief racing career), one will likely live many lives under many owners. One is a sign of conspicuous consumption and waste, one less so.

Is there really no difference? I believe there is.

My opinion is quite simple, really: I do not find humour in the destruction of well-crafted objects, whether they be worth hundreds of dollars or millions. Boats, pickup trucks, tooled leather belts, you name it; if someone spend time and treasure to create something at the very top of their skill range, it is valuable and not to be laughed at when it is unnecessarily damaged. I love The Who, but I always cringed when they destroyed their instruments on-stage.

I would, however, feel satisfaction at seeing AR derivatives destroyed. A fine rifle is a useful tool for hunting big game; but an AR is a weapon of war that has no right to exist outside of a national armoury. Feast on that...
    The final sentence demonstrates bias nicely, as I expected it would. It simply took a few simple examples to find an object in the the destruction of which you would find the satisfaction which you admonish others for having.
    You value the fruit of your field of interest, but not that of others. With one you consider the value of the labours behind it, with one you don't.
    You are as human as the ones showing mirth at the destruction of the toy in the OP of which they saw no value. No better, no worse.

If this is 'stripped-out racing machine', then I think that I'd like to go racing...

Perhaps it will continue to be used, perhaps it won't. The track record for longevity with these type of single focus machine tends to indicate a short life. The people that can afford them will replace them frequently with next years model, and the field of owners that care not for the newest trend, but have the money to both maintain and crew a boat of this size is rather small.

Will a boat like this ever feature in "save a classic"?

I've spent the last few days in a boatyard doing maintenance on the Paul Gartside powerboat which I try as best I can to maintain for the present, aging owner.

The interest in this boat exceeds by many orders of magnitude the interest expressed in any other boat in the yard. It's a "classic" shape.

I believe that humans have an affinity for organic shapes. A traditional boat must conform to the limitations of the organic material which which it is constructed, and I believe that humans, being organic ourselves, find comfort in this. I believe this holds true in architecture as well, as broken down in the book "a pattern language".
    I don't believe a fancy interior will develop that same level of affinity, which is required (in my mind) for multiple owners, over many years, spending large amounts of money and time to keep a boat alive.

I've spent the last few days in a boatyard doing maintenance on the Paul Gartside powerboat which I try as best I can to maintain for the present, aging owner.

The interest in this boat exceeds by many orders of magnitude the interest expressed in any other boat in the yard. It's a "classic" shape.

I believe that humans have an affinity for organic shapes. A traditional boat must conform to the limitations of the organic material which which it is constructed, and I believe that humans, being organic ourselves, find comfort in this. I believe this holds true in architecture as well, as broken down in the book "a pattern language".
    I don't believe a fancy interior will develop that same level of affinity, which is required (in my mind) for multiple owners, over many years, spending large amounts of money and time to keep a boat alive.
    Picture please.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Picture please.
    Back working on her today. Pictures to follow

"You are as human as the ones showing mirth at the destruction of the toy in the OP of which they saw no value. No better, no worse. " - Decourcy

Why, yes, it is no secret that I do advocate for the removal of military-style semi-automatic weaponry from the general public's hands. Handguns, too, in most cases. I will now retreat and contemplate my feet of clay as I continue work on a stability report for a tour boat. Caio...

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    There used to be a regular business for delivery crews bringing new boats made in Europe and elsewhere to the U.S. My understanding is that that business has pretty much dried up, since most manufacturers just load them all on ships now.
    It seems it would make sense to ship new boats across the ocean rather than sail them. That way they remain in better condition for when they reach the dealership and can command higher prices. That would go especially for smaller boats or ones not designed for ocean voyages. Who would not want to protect the condition of their product before it is sold?
    As for delivery captains I know one who delivers boats from one place to another for owners who may not have the time, seamanship skills or inclination to undertake a long cruise on their boat. I don't think that need has changed much over time. I think that segment of the delivery business is alive and well.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I recently saw a picture of one of the early Concordia Yawls when brand spanking new being loaded by crane as deck cargo for the trip from Germany to the US. It's nothing new. A lot of the small craft used by the Americans in WWII also crossed as deck cargo.
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thread drift, but here you go RP.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 05-29-2019 at 05:17 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

mast in, keel on.

Yeah... a fall from that height could certainly punch a few holes in her or crack the hull in multiple places. Wonder if it'll be salvaged or written off as a total loss.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thread drift, but here you go RP.
    Not to drift too far, Decourcy - I like it a lot ! Thanks for the photos

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Yeah... a fall from that height could certainly punch a few holes in her or crack the hull in multiple places. Wonder if it'll be salvaged or written off as a total loss.
    The story said she was lost, I presume she was not recovered after going overboard. I doubt the insurance will cover building another, it's probably like when your car is totaled.

The engineering firm that designed the cradle and their insurance company will be paying for most of this loss.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    The engineering firm that designed the cradle and their insurance company will be paying for most of this loss.
    The question in my mind is, how do you calculate the loss? If it were a Honda Civic with 100,000 miles on it, that would be a simple actuarial question. With a custom yacht that cost tens of millions of Euros to build, I suspect lawyers will be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The question in my mind is, how do you calculate the loss? If it were a Honda Civic with 100,000 miles on it, that would be a simple actuarial question. With a custom yacht that cost tens of millions of Euros to build, I suspect lawyers will be involved.
    The legal term is "unique chattel" and yes lawyers will be involved figuring out the value
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Taking glee in the misfortune of others is an ugly characteristic...
    Agree 100%. Why would somebody think it “wonderful” that this boat was destroyed. Petty Jealousy perhaps?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

And speaking of interesting cradles i took this pic the other day of a Maxi 72 at the old marine terminal in Port Royal SC.

14CE1572-7712-436D-8E5D-B4F5CEB1A39C.jpg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    And speaking of interesting cradles i took this pic the other day of a Maxi 72 at the old marine terminal in Port Royal SC.
    I see one cable leading down from the top of the mast (I think) to the storage trailer. I don't see one on the other side. I'd want a whole lot more support than the 4 straps leading down from the edge of the deck!

ETA - I just noticed that there seems to be a cable showing in the upper right corner - so the mast is supported from both sides. I'd still want more for safety.
    Last edited by Garret; 05-30-2019 at 10:38 AM.