Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Yacht “My Song” fell off the transport ship

Default Super Yacht “My Song” fell off the transport ship

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yach...ong-cargo-fall

I have to wonder how this happened. Very sad. I hope no one got hurt.
    Will

Swansong?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Super Yacht “My Song” fell off the transport ship

OUCH! I wouldn't want to be the shipper's insurer.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

yikes, thats a lot of boat to lose.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Sad? I hope no one got hurt , but I think it’s WONDERFUL!!!
    Boat goes 30 knots, wins some “boat of the year”thing, goes on a ship to be delivered to races.

Megas....

Ha ^^ That's what I was thinking.

Some people just don't have their heads screwed on right...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Nice looking skiff, but a bit oversize?

I feel a little bad for the crew that worked on it, but it might give a bunch of boat builders a new job if he gets another one

I hope we get the full story. I can see it breaking loose in rough seas if not properly tied down, but why did it sink? What pounded a hole in it? Questions, questions.
    Still, a sad story to hear. The vessel was a marvelous feat of engineering, design and construction no matter if you care for mega yachts or not.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    I feel a little bad for the crew that worked on it, but it might give a bunch of boat builders a new job if he gets another one
    Like uh... the delivery crew?
    We saw it last month in Antigua. Very fat and flat . My wife ( whom I’ve not seen in a month), just told me and started giggling herself. Fell off , sink and lost .

Taking glee in the misfortune of others is an ugly characteristic...

I'm amused to learn that "Superyacht Times" is a thing.
    P.T. Barnum had it right.
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

Odd that it should "fall off" so close to its destination.....

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    While I somewhat agree, it's similar to the laughing that happens when someone crunches the bottom of their supercar on a parking lot speed bump. I notice the owner found it necessary to have his name on the mainsail.
    My personal sympathy is always in inverse proportion to conspicuous consumption, and bad taste.

Some people just don't have their heads screwed on right...
    . . . or their yachts. Oops.

Schadenfreude.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

I find it interesting that when the Americas Cup is discussed, many hear yearn for the days of the J boats. This is the "J Boat" crowd and how they race today. But they get no respect. (I like to see boats on foils and at least a nod toward cost control.)
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I find it interesting that when the Americas Cup is discussed, many hear yearn for the days of the J boats. This is the "J Boat" crowd and how they race today. But they get no respect. (I like to see boats on foils and at least a nod toward cost control.)
    I suspect much of the yearning for "J boats" is yearning for the relative simplicity of design and boats that looked like boats.

[IMc - The shipper's story.]

Statement reveals what happened to lost Baltic 130 Custom superyacht My Song

28 MAY 2019 BY MIRANDA BLAZEBY

Yacht transport company Peters & May has spoken out about the loss of the Baltic 130 Custom sailing yacht My Song, which slipped from a cargo ship into the Mediterranean on Sunday morning (May 26).

The 39.6 metre yacht which was stowed on board the 138-metre transportation ship Brattinsborg, fell from the vessel into the Mediterranean. Leaked photographs later showed the yacht semi-submerged with the stern underwater.

Now chief executive of Peters & May, David Holley, has released a statement about the incident in an effort to "clarify" the events of the evening and correct false news reports.

He revealed that Peters & May was informed of the incident at around 4am on May 26th and instructed the captain of MV Brattinsborg to try and salvage the yacht from the open water.

The cargo ship's crew kept eyes-on contact with My Song until air and sea salvage attempts began. Salvage attempts were still in progress as of Tuesday (May 28) morning.

Holley revealed that My Song's cradle had "collapsed", causing the yacht to fall from the cargo ship.

The sailing yacht was later found semi-submerged in open water.

He emphasised that the cradle was "owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht's crew."

However he added that this was "the initial assessment" which is "subject to confirmation in due course."

Following the incident, Peters & May instructed Brattinsborg to continue to its original destination of Genoa, where it was due to dock on May 27. It previously departed the island of St John in the Caribbean on May 7.

It is understood the yacht was due to attend the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta in Porto Cervo next week. Owned by keen regatta sailor Pier Luigi Loro Piana, My Song won the same regatta last year.

Delivered in 2016, My Song features exterior design by Nauta Design with hull lines by Reichel-Pugh naval architects. The five-cabin interior was also designed by Nauta Design.

The single-masted yacht, which was built from a carbon-fibre sandwich construction, features a plumb bow and wide stern.

Peters & May has revealed that My Song's cradle collapsed, causing it to fall from the transportation ship

*Peters & May chief executive David Holley's statement in full: *

"We would not normally comment on cargo incidents but given the high-profile nature of this yacht and the media interest we feel that we need to formally give some clarification. There are several individuals passing judgement on what may or may not have happened and we will attempt to offer some clarity, albeit at an early stage of the investigation. Our reputation is second to none and we will not have it tarnished by unqualified individuals passing judgement without facts in hand. I will add that I am disappointed that confidential photographs were leaked to the media.

We were informed of the loss of a yacht from the deck of the MV Brattinsborg at approximately 0400hr LT on 26th May 2019. The yacht is sailing yacht MY SONG. Upon receipt of the news Peters & May instructed the captain of the MV Brattinsborg to attempt salvage whilst 3rd party salvors were appointed.

The vessel maintained visual contact with MY SONG until the air and sea search was initiated. As of 0900hr BST on 28th May 2019 the salvage attempts are still ongoing. To ensure the safety of the remaining yachts, Peters & May have instructed the carrying vessel to continue her planned voyage to Genoa. No other yachts have been affected by this incident.

A full investigation into the cause of the incident has been launched, however the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle (owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY SONG overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.

As a leading yacht transporter for the past 40 years we take great pride in what we do and go above and beyond all standard operating procedures to ensure safe transit of all yachts carried by us. We have procedures in place to respond to this kind of incident, although we hope that they are never required.

This incident is more than regrettable, however the transport of yachts on cargo vessels continues to be one of the safest and most cost-effective solutions when carried out by a reputable company such as Peters & May.

More information will be made available in due course but in the meantime, I request that everyone respects the sensitivity of this issue to all parties concerned."

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...my-song--40591

"...it's similar to the laughing that happens when someone crunches the bottom of their supercar on a parking lot speed bump."

I would not find that funny either, unless the driver richly deserved it by their jack-assery immediately prior to impact. Merely being able to afford the vehicle does not automatically qualify one for being a jackass, though, and that is where I find this course of conversation disappointing.

Somewhere there are a number of talented, driven, focused craftspeople who have lived, eaten, and breathed these objects of higher engineering and construction in order to create a vehicle that performs in the top few tenths of a percent of their class, and yet some pig-headed troglodytes find humour in their destruction because of the jealousy of the person's wealth who was able to finance their creation.

But I know that my words here will not change anything. Hatred of the 'other' is gaining momentum and acceptance in today's North American society, and being wealthy is most people's 'other'. It doesn't matter if the wealth was gained by means fair or foul, or whether the wealthy person uses their money for good or evil; wealth is 'other', so hate them all equally, eh?

Sour grapes, per chance?

That's a big ship.

Lots of cargo ships on the Salish, I don't remember seeing one with anything like a My Song loaded aboard. How does that work? Top loaded after the rest of the containers?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Steve, I am not sure in this specific case, but usually large yachts carried on cargo ships are loaded on their cradle on the deck hatch covers and carried as deck cargo.

Not really a big ship, in fact quite a small one. My employers have had a near sister on charter. The cranes are 150 tons lifting capacity each. She is a small multipurpose ship with box shaped holds and heavy lift gear. The yacht cradles are loaded on the hatch covers which are strong enough to take them.

Peters and May, the charterers, have been in this business for decades. They have released a press statement:

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...my-song--40591
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

So... yacht heavy, cradle light?

That looks like an expensive way to move a boat, but I suppose after accounting for crew, consumables and wear it pencils out. How does the shipping company charge for something like that? Square feet of deck space?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Salvage is ongoing, vessel afloat but partially flooded. If they can get save her, she might be fixed and re-launched. Certainly won't be racing for a while.

I'm guessing the hull was punctured when the cradle gave way in whatever way it did.

Somebody forgot a nyloc . That’s the guy I feel for .
    Designer will design another, builders will build another.
    I do not hate them, per se, I wish they never happened.
    I was invited to sail on Athos first day of Antigua Classic. Owners son bought a few paintings from me, musta liked one of my stupid jokes. I was hoping they’d be “Athos”(pronounced holding the tongue with thumb and finger), but the whole family aboard was very nice, treated me like royalty. ( I was one of the Concours judges earlier).
    First and probably last time aboard a mega ( 400 ton schooner yacht).
    im not jealous of their wealth. and I do not see any misfortune.
    I see a toy fell off a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I'm guessing the hull was punctured when the cradle gave way in whatever way it did.
    Could be that the hull cracked when subjected to forces it wasn't designed for when it hit the water at a weird angle.
    Look what happened in the 1990's to the America's Cup boat, Australia One. It hit a five foot wave when only designed for mill-pond conditions. Cracked in half and sank like a stone in seconds.

A 30M€ toy

But if you have the cash, they keep churning new ones all the time

https://www.balticyachts.fi/2019/05/21/baltic-yachts-launch-three-new-yachts-in-ten-days/

Doesn't that 67 footer look like a dinghy?

Maybe someone cranked down on some chain dogs a bit too hard.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I hear Tenaz has won the Superyacht cup in Atigua? She was the largest sail yacht build i have been involved with at 39m. Launched originally as Mammamouchi.

And wether its a toy or a tax write off, it did keep over 100 people in work for almost 2 years, unlike a painting on the wall......not one of Bruces obviously......

^ Nice boat...