Thread: Fliptail 7

Default Fliptail 7

A couple of folks here have built a Fliptail folding dinghy.
    Wondering (simply cause I'm lazy) if a wood supply list converted from metric to inches is available. I'll build using metric rules, but I want to buy the right size wood.
    Also, a brand name or other descriptors for the PVC coated fabric.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Default Re: Fliptail 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Wondering (simply cause I'm lazy) if a wood supply list converted from metric to inches is available. I'll build using metric rules, but I want to buy the right size wood.
    I built a Fliptail 9 and found Benjy's metric figures to be a little too generous. I don't have my figures in front of me but I remember he specified a metric number for the rails that came out to 12' 5". I wanted to make them out of ash and finding ash boards over 12' was impossible around me. I went ahead and made the rail jig and discovered the actual number was around 11'7", which was no problem to source. There were other examples of this "generosity" that resulted in head scratching until I realized the finished numbers were significantly different. It's worthwhile to set up your jigs and such and take a measure before sourcing your wood. Unfortunately I don't have the converted figures, which will be different for a 7.

I'll look around my shop and see if I can locate/remember the supplier of the PVC fabric I used. I am pleased with it. Basically generic truck tarp but you must get the proper weight.

I would set up an Exel spreadsheet, enter the metric scantlings with formulae to convert to inches.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Jim

Re the material, have a look at this link https://web.archive.org/web/20170515...ayak/made.html I had to go to the web archive because Brunel Uni seemed to have changed their file permissions for the canvas kayak site. The link give a couple of UK suppliers for 18oz PVC coated fabric. There maybe more information on Yostworks http://www.yostwerks.org/

Nick

Relocate to a metric country. Soooo much easier. And then there's guns and Trump. It's a no brainer.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Here's the stuff I used. The company service was excellent.

https://www.tarpsnow.com/index.php/1...YaAj2HEALw_wcB