Thread: Fender cleats

Default Fender cleats

I was tired of tripping over the fender lines on my aft deck as the only place to tie them was the handrail on the cabin top, blocking the walkway.

9285E5B8-2242-4CEE-B063-35FF0A53B456.jpg

So I made a couple of wedges from some scrap purple heart. These easily wedge into the scuppers and stay put, yet are easily pulled out by pulling the rope back whereas the fender pulls up. This makes them very quick and easy to move when coming into a strange dock. And no more tripping over the line.

DDB6F612-A53D-4224-9138-D44B253863F2.jpg

966BCF28-D7DB-4EF6-A935-0A4148CA30AA.jpg

Clever. But I'd be worried about losing my fenders. Why not make a block with a hole in it which won't fit through the scuppers, and tie the fender to that?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Fender cleats

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Clever. But I'd be worried about losing my fenders. Why not make a block with a hole in it which won't fit through the scuppers, and tie the fender to that?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    These wedge in tightly yet are easily changed. Also, the fender sometimes has to hang slightly above the scuppers so tying through them won’t work. With these wedges the line goes up and over the bulwarks.

And - this doesn't not require untying. I like it!

Since purpleheart is kinda red, are you using these for port & some greenheart for starbord?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I should have included this pic showing how the line goes over the bulwarks. Very easy to change from one side to the other. Kick the wedge sideways to dislodge it, kick it in to wedge into scupper.

54125B42-6AE4-4572-B28E-E5FE0F28E504.jpg

Clever!!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Nice. I always get a lot of satisfaction from random little projects like that!

I like it too.
    But you should add a protection of some sort. The line is going to shafe heavily on the rail.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Cleats?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

gosh i wish i had holes in my toerail or a handrail or anything anywhere to tie something to...
    i haven't got a cleat or spot anywhere in sight to tie up a fender or tarp or awning or what have you !

I know this is the WBF, but there is a popular hardware solution found aboard new FRP boats.

These fender hooks are quick-release. The eyelet, with your fender tied on pops off when released.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.00.00 PM.jpg

Once released and removed , all that is visible is this, from the gasket up. You need a couple inches under the deck or cabintop where you mount them.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.00.40 PM.jpg

Taco Marine makes them; Taylormade offers a version also, I believe. Probably Gemlux and maybe Perko as well.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Cool idea.

If you're leaving the boat for a few days, and are concerned that the wedges might pop out and you lose your fender, you might consider taking the line through the scupper one more time, then putting a figure-8 knot in it so it can't come back through.

Or you could do these for $150 (on sale! )

https://www.starmarinedepot.com/mega...xoC5uYQAvD_BwE
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I know this is the WBF, but there is a popular hardware solution found aboard new FRP boats.

These fender hooks are quick-release. The eyelet, with your fender tied on pops off when released.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.00.00 PM.jpg

Once released and removed , all that is visible is this, from the gasket up. You need a couple inches under the deck or cabintop where you mount them.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.00.40 PM.jpg

Taco Marine makes them; Taylormade offers a version also, I believe. Probably Gemlux and maybe Perko as well.

Kevin
    Problem I see with these is that you have only a few certain pre-planned locations for your fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Cool idea.

If you're leaving the boat for a few days, and are concerned that the wedges might pop out and you lose your fender, you might consider taking the line through the scupper one more time, then putting a figure-8 knot in it so it can't come back through.
    Yes, I good idea, even for short term. The beauty of the quick release and set is that there is limited time when coming into a dock or locks where the lockmaster may decide which side at the last minute.

I have gotten in the habit of hanging fenders on both sides when coming into somewhere new. Too many times, I have had to switch sides at the last minute. A few weeks ago, we were coming into Langley, a small marina, with a wind blowing. On the radio, the harbormaster told me a port tie. When I got close to the dock, I realized there was no way I was going to spin around in the wind and do the port tie. Glad I had fenders to starboard. Glad the harbormaster was there to take the lines too. We were shoehorned in between a couple of boats.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Same here, in case someone misjudges their arrival and clobbers your off-side.