Thread: Robot Vacuums

Default Robot Vacuums

Simply fantastic!

With the recent home renovations there is dust and dirt everywhere. I got the new robot yesterday. While Ken and me were cleaning everything else I turned it lose. It's done a great job vacuuming totally unsupervised.

Surprisingly, our little dog doesn't pay it any mind. She seems to be "oh, you have a new machine. How nice for you.".
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Robot Vacuums

I have thought of getting my mother one.. but she has two small dogs, one likes to poop everywhere. While she keeps atop the "presents" I could not imagine one of these robot cleaners getting a hold of a little stinky nugget
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have thought of getting my mother one.. but she has two small dogs, one likes to poop everywhere. While she keeps atop the "presents" I could not imagine one of these robot cleaners getting a hold of a little stinky nugget
    You don’t have the imagine it - there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    You don’t have the imagine it - there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the results.
    Sounds like a poop dispersal system.

That is a valid concern. I plan on policing the house before "Rosie" starts cleaning. I would not put it on an automatic schedule. It's easy enough to check to make sure the coast is clear before hitting start.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

I’ve had a Roomba for a few years and still like it, but not on auto start with two cats who occasionally barf. But the dirty secret is the machine has to be cleaned often or it won’t vac well. I take it into the shop, cut the hair from the rollers and brushes, and use compressed air and the shop vac on it. It’s not a terrible job if you are set up for it, but your mother is not going to do it. I’ve seen several Roomba owners who love them at first then get discouraged when they get dirty and don’t clean well anymore.

There was an interesting thing on the telly about data security - and the sheer volume of data sent to an amazing number of external servers by a cheap autonomous vac was a real eye opener.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

My vacuum is made by Skynet. So, you know it's good!
    Skip

My daughter bought us a Roomba as a gift a year or so ago... and I have to confess, it works far better than I expected it to.

The only caveat: it must be emptied for EACH use; the capacity of the dust chamber is limited.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    There was an interesting thing on the telly about data security - and the sheer volume of data sent to an amazing number of external servers by a cheap autonomous vac was a real eye opener.
    Seriously? I doubt that my Roomba is blue toothed or in any way connected other than to its own remote.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

My brother has one. He also has a puppy that's not housebroken yet. I asked him how cleaning the Rumba went, he said not good!

Pick up all of your stray charging cords. They are one of Roomba’s favorite meals. DAMHIKT.

After watching a few videos and reading reviews. I bought a Eufy 11s from Amazon for $225 USD.

I ran it again this morning. Some dust from yesterday had settled, after it had run i emptied it again. It is amazing how much it picks up. I do see where emptying and changing and cleaning filters will be key.
    Skip

You can, of course, hack your Roomba just for kicks: this guy hacked his so that it swears when it bumps into things:
    https://news.avclub.com/meet-the-roo...uff-1834612025
    I don't think that it actually vacuums anymore, but that's a small price to pay <grin!>
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

My wife complains that I do not do a quality job of vacuuming. It seems I sometimes leave dust bunnies in the corners or other hard to reach places.

She is correct. I don't think a robot would do any better. And it would miss the filters on the A/C and air purifier.
    Life is complex.

The Roomba is pretty good at getting into corners with its little rotary brush on the edge of the machine. The problem is it’s random pattern will drive you nuts if you watch it. It’ll be headed straight for a dust bunny, you think it’s got it for sure. Then it turns the other way 6” away from it.

^true, but if you leave it alone, it will get the dust bunny on another pass.

It does surprisingly well in corners and even around the legs of dining room chairs.

For me, the best part is its ability to go under heavy furniture like beds and dressers . Because of their weight I rarely vacuumed behind them. The robot just disappears under them for a bit then pops back out.
    Skip

Lynda bought one of the knockoffs a neighbor recommended. It does a very good job. We get a lot of sandy grit in the house and it gets it up off the pine floors. Also gets the dog hair up surprisingly well.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Every time I read the thread title I think it says "Robert vacuums". And I start to wonder what an Amish vacuum cleaner looks like. Bearded roomba? Horse-drawn hoover? Doodled Dyson with chainsaw fingers to reach those tight spots where you know that dirt is just crusted in? Inquiring minds...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Lynda bought one of the knockoffs a neighbor recommended. It does a very good job. We get a lot of sandy grit in the house and it gets it up off the pine floors. Also gets the dog hair up surprisingly well.
    Which one. The Roombas are crazy expensive.

Look at videos for Eufy 11s on Youtube. The one about robot slave is good.
    Skip

Look at videos for Eufy 11s on Youtube. The one about robot slave is good.
    https://youtu.be/HhYJfT1MDjY
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Every time I read the thread title I think it says "Robert vacuums". And I start to wonder what an Amish vacuum cleaner looks like. Bearded roomba? Horse-drawn hoover? Doodled Dyson with chainsaw fingers to reach those tight spots where you know that dirt is just crusted in? Inquiring minds...
    It looks like a broom, Tom. A broom.

I think vacuums suck.

Peace,
    What? You Expected More?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Look at videos for . . .
    its hard to get past the roomba cat videos to the actual review videos
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It looks like a broom, Tom. A broom. I think vacuums suck ...
    Baah!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Baah!
    Okay, okay. We DO have three shop vac type vacuums. One wet, one dry, one car...

Peace,
    Robert

I've worn out my old Roomba.

No matter how much I sweep and mop, it still comes back with cup of dust.