Thread: Dual oarlock-base spar & oar storage racks - any tips on how to make 'em?

Default Dual oarlock-base spar & oar storage racks - any tips on how to make 'em?

Since I can't find any photos, I'll describe what I'm asking about. Mounting in both oarlock bases on one gunwale, these U-shaped racks hold the sail bundles and oars out of the way for camping. The Caledonia Yawl folks can't be the only ones using these racks to store the yard + sail + boom bundles aboard their boats when camping, but these boats seem to be the primary ones using 'em. Any tips on how to make them up and any pitfalls to avoid?

I'm currently thinking of using 1/2" threaded SS rod for the oarlock-base mounted uprights, with nuts and washers to stop them at the correct height -- this has worked well for my rowing mirror which also mounts in oarlock bases. Then some sort of bent SS or galvanized bar for the "U" section to provide the base and other upright. Cover the threaded rod upright with a section of bamboo glued over it with PL Premium -- again this works well for my rowing mirror, and should reduce possibility of injury from that upright.

Any tips or pics? Thanks!

My SS rod rowing mirror pics -

Last edited by Thorne; 05-25-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Dual oarlock-base spar & oar storage racks - any tips on how to make 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Can’t you just loop loops or line around the bundle and hang them from the oarlocks? Or, maybe just a piece of rod in the base?
    Rope grommets should work, yeah? And be simple to make and stow.Peace, Robert
    That would work, but I think part of the idea is to store the spar and sail bundle as high as possible from the water -- in other words not risk it getting splashed with saltwater. The CY has a fair amount of freeboard but I suspect that hanging anything that large from the oarlock bases would put it too close to the water. Another advantage of the rack is that you can recover something like the oars without having to pull the whole bundle over the gunwale and into the boat as you would if they were tied.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Dual oarlock-base spar & oar storage racks - any tips on how to make 'em?

How about something like your mirror stands, with a nut near the top and some webbing loops with grommets that you can slip over the threaded rod. Certainly more compact than the big carved forks you see on Viking Ship repros.

1C95EA67-9ACA-4934-AE90-957C7D8C15FE.jpg
    I have a CY also and have thought about yard and oar stowage. The photo shows a working boat solution to net hauling.
    "I am what I am and I am what I am that I am." - Popeye 20th Century A.D.

Thanks, everyone! Hugh, I like the way you think! As you point out, the rod with nuts near the top and straps to hold the bundles and oars should work well and store very nicely. I could place grommets every foot or so to give me some easy adjustment for the size of the spar bundle and oars.

I while back I started a Fun With Oarlock Sockets thread, in which I describe my solution.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...arlock-sockets

Couple of pics: Nothing fancy - just a wooden dowel glued in the bottom of a u-shaped bracket, with a length of paracord to tie things in. Has worked fine on the two occasions where needed. The bracket is offset to keep things out of the way, over the water.

OarStorage.jpg

OarStorage2.jpg

FYI, the other items in the top pic are guides for my belly strap to keep the strap from rubbing the side of the boat, and swiveling cam-cleats for my jib sheet.

I'd make the U-shaped yoke of hardwood, to better coordinate with the Caledonia's build material, and have a ss bolt run through the bottom of the U for insertion through the oarlocks. Instead of using bolts, I'd be tempted to used brass rod, slotted at the lower end for a toggle which would have to be aligned with the rod to fit thru the oarlock; otherwise it would lie perpendicular to the slotted rod. Just a bit of clever detail to get away from threaded rod and wing nuts.

Here's what I came up with, thanks to Hugh. 1/2" SS rod covered with bamboo to eliminate wear from the threaded rod on sails, straps and boat tent. We'll see how it works next week on the TSCA Gunkholing trip.

Last edited by Thorne; 06-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.

NIE! I like the bamboo! Looks like she oughtta do the job. Enjoy the gunkholer!