Thread: Troops to the Middle East

Default Troops to the Middle East

Just got word my Nephew is getting deployed along with 1499 other men and women in uniform. My Niece's ex-husband is also being sent
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Troops to the Middle East

Pentagon suggested 20,000. Trump doing an end run on Congress for arms sales is pretty significant. Who knows where the bombs go.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/w...east-iran.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump circumvented Congress on Friday by declaring an emergency over Iran and moving forward with arms sales to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan that had been blocked by Congress since last year.

Mr. Trump also announced on Friday that he would order about 1,500 additional troops to the Middle East to increase protection of those American forces already there. The new deployment is less than what hard-liners in the Trump White House were said to have wanted, and below what commanders in the region were considering.

With the pending arms sales, Mr. Trump is back in a comfort zone of viewing diplomacy through a lens of economics and business deals, and the action reinforces White House support for the Saudis despite congressional pressure to punish Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman after the killing last October of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

The weapons sales decision immediately drew criticism from lawmakers, who are also furious over the civilian death toll from the Saudi-led air campaign in Yemen.
    American companies will now be able to sell $8.1 billion worth of munitions in 22 pending transfers to the three Arab nations. The two gulf countries are waging an air war in Yemen that has come under sharp criticism from Congress and human rights organizations. Some of the munitions would take years to produce and deliver, so it is not obvious how those sales are consistent with the argument that the exports are to address an immediate crisis with Iran.

I wonder if Congress can still do something about this?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Which this? I suppose they could do a lot of things if they were functioning as a unified branch of gov’t and not one part Trumps enabler.

This kind of thing scares the crap out of me because of my nephew.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Art, "thoughts and prayers for their well-being" is starting to sound overused, so I will just say that I (as one who deployed to SE Asia) am hoping that Nephew, and Niece's ex, complete their deployments and return home safely.

It's no a matter a 'can' so much as 'will', which doesn't seem likely……….

How's that republic of yours going?………………..

I feel so bad for my sister over this. She already lost one son, at far too young an age, to Suicide. Now her other is heading off to what could become a hot zone. If she loses him...

-Dalai Lama

I feel so bad for my sister over this. She already lost one son, at far too young an age, to Suicide. Now her other is heading off to what could become a hot zone. If she loses him...
    I feel sorry for every parent who lost a child to war. At the same time I respect the son or daughter who chooses to serve knowing full well they may, and almost always hoping to, serve in combat.

We've been at war for nearly 20 years straight. Everyone who has signed up since it started understood the situation.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Just a reminder...

screen-capture-3.jpg
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I feel sorry for every parent who lost a child to war. At the same time I respect the son or daughter who chooses to serve knowing full well they may, and almost always hoping to, serve in combat.

We've been at war for nearly 20 years straight. Everyone who has signed up since it started understood the situation.
    And most of has been pointless. US actions in the Middle East have made the area less stable and considerably more dangerous.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Twenty? I think more .
    They knew what they were getting in for? Y’a mean the flag wavin nationalistic cries of FREEDOM?
    pffft . Na, most join cuz its a job. The us military is mostly red, they lean red , vote red, think red.
    Mall the macho kids, men and women, feeling that wargasm tingle. Tomorrow’s effed up vets , suiciding when they grow up and realize what they have done.

BrianW, remember Rumsfeld's priorities before 9/11? He was going to battle the great Pentagon bureaucracy and bring it to heel, make it less wasteful, expand ABM programs etc. Oh well. Obama sure got rolled by the war machine leading a surge into Afghanistan. If only we applied a few million troops and ramped things up to a real national commitment like Vietnam in both countries we’d have something to show for it.
    Out of curiosity do you think Trump is more or less aware of the consequences of his decisions than GW or Obama?

Looks like Patriot missile batteries are popular.
    Last edited by LeeG; 05-25-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Context, it’s 900 troops w 600 already there getting deployment extended. It’s a small number in the scheme of things.

Worry not! Commander Bone spurs has their back.
    PaulF

I’d worry if I was Iranian

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    all the macho kids, men and women, feeling that wargasm tingle. ...
    I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
    guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, kill, kill, kill. "

And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "kill, kill, " and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and the sargeant come over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Just a reminder...

screen-capture-3.jpg
    Obama pulled 90,000 troops out of Afghanistan, years I remember. I thought Trump was going to get us out of the middle East.

The US has been at war in one form or another since December 1941.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

obama sucked
    Just a reminder...

screen-capture-3.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

but he was a thousand times better than mccain or romney and immeasurably better than the current gop douchebag
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The US has been at war in one form or another since December 1941.
    We had a couple years of peace under Carter. Must be why the RW hates him so much

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    but he was a thousand times better than mccain or romney and immeasurably better than the current gop douchebag
    That's the thing. He did exactly what McCain and Romney would have done, except behind the curtains. He wasn't any different, except for the clothes.

Appearances are not reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    No, he just gave that impression while signing off on drone strikes.......after receiving a Nobel peace prize! Just another puppet of the MIC.

"Serving" your country seems to no longer describe joining the military. Are they really "serving" our country by deploying to threaten Iran? Maybe, but its just as likely they are serving the political wishes of a single corrupt man. I see very little honor in being the sharp end of the empire's spear, when that empire just deploys you for profiteering and pointless wars of political grandstanding. I do not hold this against the troops, they all have their reasons for joining, but the language we use to glorify and justify military action is very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post

we've been at war for nearly 20 years straight. Everyone who has signed up since it started understood the situation.
    exactly.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    "Serving" your country seems to no longer describe joining the military. Are they really "serving" our country by deploying to threaten Iran? Maybe, but its just as likely they are serving the political wishes of a single corrupt man. I see very little honor in being the sharp end of the empire's spear, when that empire just deploys you for profiteering and pointless wars of political grandstanding. I do not hold this against the troops, they all have their reasons for joining, but the language we use to glorify and justify military action is very uncomfortable.
    Looks good on a recruiting poster. Keeps them signing up. Eliminates the need for a draft.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Well put ! In Nov/Dec 1971, the US fleet steamed into the Bay of Bengal, in what was meant as a direct threat to India, should it intervene militarily in (then) East Pakistan (Bangladesh), where a massacre of the civil population had got into full swing under the auspices of the US-backed military government

The rest is history.

An excerpt from an interview with the 'Lady of Steel', prior to ordering India´s Armed Forces to oust the military rulers of (then) East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MATAqeiL-4
    Last edited by carioca1232001; 05-29-2019 at 05:52 PM.