Thread: Leg o' mutton mizzen -- should the sprit boom be tied to the clew or set into a loop?

Default Leg o' mutton mizzen -- should the sprit boom be tied to the clew or set into a loop?

The sprit boom on the leg o' mutton mizzen sail on my Caledonia Yawl _Goblin_ is tied to the aft end of the sail, making it a bit awkward to furl. The mizzen halyard is also strange, as it runs through a bee hole in the top and then back down to the mizzen partners, where the free end is used to wrap around the sail and sprit boom to furl it.

First question -- why is the sprit boom tied to the clew? I guess that it is to keep it from being lost overboard when furling the sail, although the snotter also runs through a bee hole in the forward end, not a slot like some snotters. (say THAT 5 times fast! ) . Or possibly to make it easier to set the sail in the wind without fishing for the loop on the clew to insert the pointy end of the sprit boom through? Anyway, I'm considering making the aft end of the spritboom smaller for a few inches to allow it to be pushed into a loop of line at the clew.

Second question -- should I rework the whole halyard and mizzen sail setup? I'm not a big fan of lacing sails to spars, preferring robands that make removing sails much easier, but this is the way it came when I bought it a year ago. Normally there is no need to raise or lower the mizzen sail on the mast as it is easy to pull the whole stick out and store it aboard, but there are times when I'd like to lower and then raise the sail to attach lines for tents and tarps for camping aboard. I'm **assuming** the free end of the halyard is long enough but will have to test to make sure.

Thanks!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Leg o' mutton mizzen -- should the sprit boom be tied to the clew or set into a l

I have my sprit tied to the clew. To furl, I free the snotter, hold the sprit vertical, and then roll it up into the sail. I then use the snotter to make all fast to the mast. My snotter does run through a slot to make this quick and easy.

If the sheet runs up to the sail and then forward, it doesn't matter if it wraps around the boomkin. Put a block on the boomkin and run the sheet down from the sail through the block and then forward, and you'll be cussing the setup in no time. Probably after one tack.
    -Dave

Default Re: Leg o' mutton mizzen -- should the sprit boom be tied to the clew or set into a l

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post

Normally there is no need to raise or lower the mizzen sail on the mast as it is easy to pull the whole stick out and store it aboard, but there are times when I'd like to lower and then raise the sail to attach lines for tents and tarps for camping aboard. I'm **assuming** the free end of the halyard is long enough but will have to test to make sure.

Thanks!

There's the answer. It all stays together as a single unit. As your intended use is different from the builder's, changes may be indicated. There are many ways to hang a bit of cloth in the air, the changes you suggested probably are just fine. You might also consider making your tents and tarps work with the mizzen furled around the mast, or leave the mizzen up to help weathervane, and overcome the "sail" action of your tent.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

My mizzen is tied at the clew. I am certain that if I used a loop over a tapered end of the sprit boom it would come off in a gust if I backed off the snotter at all. My snotter is tied to the forrad end of the sprit boom then lead through a ring I have tied to the mast and then down to a cleat lower down the mast. This doesn't give me the 2:1 purchase that you have on your CY but I can move it up and down by moving the ring tie point up and down (not that I ever do).

I furl just as Woxbox describes.

Andrew
    Chebacco 25
    Chebacco.com - Chebacco is the most comprehensively documented Bolger design thanks to this website

On my leg of mutton mizzen I have a loop of small strong line cow hitched at the shoulder of the sprit boom. Loop is long enough to go through the clew grommet and button back onto the sprit boom. It stays attached unless I unbutton it and unbuttoning it happens with a finger flick. Another way to do this, is have a loop of line on the clew and a shoulder on the sprit boom. A light pennant is affixed to the clew as well and run down the sprit to a rolling hitch. When you want to remove the sprit just undo the rolling hitch and pull the sprit out. Works especially well on sprit sails.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

What seems to be working best is to push the clew up and the fore end of the spritboom down before rolling up the whole bundle in the free end of the halyard. That keeps the spritboom out of the way by hoisting it higher so the end doesn't stick down too far and interfere with pulling or setting the mizzen mast.
    Last edited by Thorne; 06-03-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.