Thread: Right price or crack pipe?

Default Right price or crack pipe?

Stealing a tag line from a popular car sight. I was perusing boats for sale. The prices are amazing. Are they actually getting anywhere near this kind of coin for these boats?

https://www.firstlightboatworks.com/offered
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Right price or crack pipe?

I believe that's where Ian has his boat & who did a lot of the building. They used to have a different name.

Maybe he could shed some (first) light on how they do.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

You should up the price on the Rambler (if that boat was in CA I would be looking at it).

I own a small sailboat built by Gig Harbor Boatworks that I plan to sell. To buy new from the builder it goes close to $10k. If I try to sell locally I probably could not get $1k, but Gig Harbor lists used ones regularly at $5 - 6k and takes 25%. Very much worth the commission to get it in front of the right buyers.

That was the old Spaulding Dunbar yard. Then Pease Brothers for many years. Prime property in Chatham $$$$.
    "If a man speaks at sea where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?"

They are not selling to our market.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I sell boats donated to our Sea Scout ship, usually on Craigslist. I start with a healthy price and then keep dropping the price until the boat sells. No one will pay a premium for a used boat in my experience
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Are they selling to any market? My eyes are watering.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Boat prices are higher in New England than most places. Demographics plays a large part in that. ( Concentration of wealth, certainly; But there are also those for whom paying more is desirable... go figure.)

That aside, a yard-built boat differs greatly from a hobbyist-built boat, even leaving quality and location aside.

1. The yard has to sell with a warranty; the individual walks away from a sale clean.

2. The yard can service the boat, engines and all its accessories. The individual doesn't have a service department.

3. The yard is marque or brand with name recogntion; the individual not so much. A higher first price can be asked because of that, plus there is easier resale ( and likely more value) when the boat is " Pease-built," versus, " Johnny Nobody- Built")

4. People will trust a yard more than guy-on-the-dock. That adds value.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

In that locality, there are people who'll pay those prices.

This level of service is eye wateringly expensive, but probably cheaper and more efficient than al a carte https://www.hinckleyyachts.com/yachtcare/

$200K for a 20 year old 36 footer https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...nced%20listing

"Starting at" $216,500 for an outboard-driven picnic boat.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    "Starting at" $216,500 for an outboard-driven picnic boat.

CA656415-E405-4153-B9DA-45D474B5570D.jpeg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Solypsis won WoodenBoat's Best Professional Build the year she was built. Yard maintained and upgraded one owner who wintered in Florida. He the Intracoastal down in the fall and up in the spring year after year and at least at this end he and his crew arrived looking quite happy and well fed.

The Peases really developed the hull for the Monomoy First Lights. The Tashmoo is that hull with a cuddy for weekending. They are only build to contract but the hold value on resale.

A small custom yard cannot survive just building boats. Even at these prices, the margins are not wonderful. The value is winter lay-up, storage, and servicing.

As First Light, Woody and Jim have done three important things: They kept together an incredibly skilled crew; they brought in capital improvements; and both Woody and Jim bring marketing, management, building, and seamanship skills from previous ventures. I of course miss the happy hippy days of brothers of my age, but Brad and Mike were ready to retire and Woody and Jim bring changes to the changing time.

Yeah, those boats really are worth it if you can pony up.

Starting at, OK, but which way?

And may be the picnic is in the fridge on board?