Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Petty Thieves

Default I Hate Petty Thieves

Got off the light rail this afternoon. Bicycle still locked to the rack

Seat and post gone. A nice Brooks saddle too, worth more than the bike

So now I have to get another seat another post and i will have one more thing to lock up

I hate scumbags
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Default Re: I Hate Petty Thieves

That sucks.

Sounds like they knew the value of the seat.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Annoying.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

seats get stolen all the time. I have lost two cheap ones over the years. If you don't need to adjust it often, replace the quick release with a regular nut and bolt
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    seats get stolen all the time. I have lost two cheap ones over the years. If you don't need to adjust it often, replace the quick release with a regular nut and bolt
    That will be the first step.

I had a really nice French drop handlebar Ginet when I was a teenager, I mowed a lot of lawns to buy it..so I bought a really heavy super secure padlock and chain for it. Some #sshole stole the padlock, leaving the bike.

I mean, that's a message right?

"Not only is your bike a piece of crap, so is your padlock, and just to show off I'm going to show you how good I am at this."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Been a bit of “teifin “ goin on in the boatyard I use.
    Worse part is , everyone lookin sideways at each other , wondrin a Hoo de culprit be. .

I caught a bloke trying to break into my car once, and my brother and I caught 3 school kids breaking things in mum's house way back. We had a burglary a few years ago and in the drive we found a key, not one of ours. Police looked around, said they had an idea where the key came from, they were correct, we got almost everything back.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I find it amazing that after biking around 35-40 thousand miles in Europe I never had anything taken. Always kept my bike unlocked too.

One story, one of my trips I went along with another teacher and one of our students. I named him Obie ( see cartoon character ) One long day, Odie lost his wallet along with cash, ID, and traveler's checks. I'd say we biked about 90 miles and Odie had no idea where he lost them. To get new Traveler's checks at least, he had to write a report and wait 2 days.

Never figured he'd find them but, surprise, first night the cops called from some town saying the wallet had been turned in. Whee! We were in Newcastle during a large bar festival featuring Bluegrass music. Us teachers wanted to go and weren't willing to backtrack with Odie to retrieve his wallet. About 80 miles from Newcastle. He sent him by himself figuring we had the entire weekend bar hopping and listening to Bluegrass. The fun we had!

Anyway, Odie discovered that nothing and I mean nothing had been stollen; his cash, a credit card, his ID, not even the small change. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I find it amazing that after biking around 35-40 thousand miles in Europe I never had anything taken. Always kept my bike unlocked too.

One story, one of my trips I went along with another teacher and one of our students. I named him Obie ( see cartoon character ) One long day, Odie lost his wallet along with cash, ID, and traveler's checks. I'd say we biked about 90 miles and Odie had no idea where he lost them. To get new Traveler's checks at least, he had to write a report and wait 2 days.

Never figured he'd find them but, surprise, first night the cops called from some town saying the wallet had been turned in. Whee! We were in Newcastle during a large bar festival featuring Bluegrass music. Us teachers wanted to go and weren't willing to backtrack with Odie to retrieve his wallet. About 80 miles from Newcastle. He sent him by himself figuring we had the entire weekend bar hopping and listening to Bluegrass. The fun we had!

Anyway, Odie discovered that nothing and I mean nothing had been stollen; his cash, a credit card, his ID, not even the small change. I was impressed.
    I lost my wallet (many years ago). I got it in the mail 2 days later with a note saying "I hope you don't mind, but I took $1 out to pay for the postage". Everything else was untouched.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Paint things weird colours. That way they can't be sold as easily. It's not a perfect solution, but it can help.

Thieves lie to themselves. They tell themselves it's about fairness, that they deserve what they don't have, but it's really about not respecting themselves.

A few years back an old Weber grill and Christmas lights were stolen at the shop.

The only bike I had stolen as an adult came about 20 years ago. I had a Schwinn Mountain Bike, an older High Sierra. It was a nice bike for it's time, but showing it's age. My car was broken at the moment, and having just lost my roommate, could not afford to fix it and pay rent. Working in Theatre, I had access to some very high strength items. We had a half inch aircraft cable bridle that got kinked and was of no use, so I used that with a big "Harley" padlock to keep it secured to the tree outside. Everyday I would ride it back and forth the 2 miles to work until I came down with a nasty cold that sidelined me for a couple of days.

No PTO at that job, so I was out two days of pay and when I went to go to work, found the bike, cable, and the lock gone. That town had a big problem with scrap metal collectors, so I assume they stole it like anything else not welded down. they certainly needed the tools to cut the cable or the lock
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

We had three really crappy potplants stolen from in front of the cafe. Small ones. About a dollar or two's worth. Tum spent all afternoon going through security camera footage... found him. Thai guy with baseball cap, riding a pushbike. Images weren't real good, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him ride past twice since. I make sure he sees me follow him - with my eyes. I might follow him one day and see where he goes.

At the other end of the scale, late last year, we had a Swiss customer come in, very upset. He'd left his bumbag at a 7-11 store, near a gas station, but couldn't remember where. He's a bit slow at the best of times, but a lovely chap. I think he's on some sort of disability pension. I tried cross-referencing stores and gas stations... but there's many many dozens of 7-11 stores. At least three within a hundred metres of us. We packed him off to the best possibilities, with no luck, then I took him off to the police station to report it. We were just closing the front gate, after a bit of a private party, at 1:45am when he pulled up on his scooter... beaming from ear to ear. The police had rung him... the bum bag had been handed in. The police handed it back to him and said "See, Thai people, good people". Everything was still in the bag. Over US$8,000 in cash. That's about two years pay for a 7-11 employee..... He was a very happy chappie.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

That sucks! I had my tackle box stolen last summer. Hard to replace a good tackle box full of lures, knives, and hardware collected over many years.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Abus Seat Post and Wheel lock..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPjgVt4JSY

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    That sucks! I had my tackle box stolen last summer. Hard to replace a good tackle box full of lures, knives, and hardware collected over many years.
    The worst part is not the money spent to replace those items, it's the TIME it takes to locate it all and get it in the door.

Whenever I get ripped off, I pray to Jesus that I never find out who did it.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    The worst part is not the money spent to replace those items, it's the TIME it takes to locate it all and get it in the door.

Whenever I get ripped off, I pray to Jesus that I never find out who did it.
    Amen to that last one. When I went out to the WBF in Port Townsend a # of years ago, I got home to find my generator, torches, chainsaw, logging chains, & a bunch of other stuff gone. The cops did nothing. Took me months & a bunch of cash to replace everything. Total PITA.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

someone once broke my car window and ripped out my dash to steal my radio. radio was $40 and they might have pawned it for $10. the window cost me $85 to replace, plus another $60 for a new radio and dash parts. i just wanted to say "hey man, THE DOOR IS UNLOCKED... no need to break my window out. and if you would have knocked on my door and said 'i was about to steal your radio but decided to ask you for $10 first' i would have given it to you."

And of course, the seat posts on the bikes the kids left here are too big for my frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Got off the light rail this afternoon. Bicycle still locked to the rack

Seat and post gone. A nice Brooks saddle too, worth more than the bike

So now I have to get another seat another post and i will have one more thing to lock up

I hate scumbags
    As a kid in Chicago I saw things stolen from neighbors. In your case they would have stolen the seat and post then destroyed the bike for spite, just for kicks.

Thieves and a$$holes as well.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    Abus Seat Post and Wheel lock..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPjgVt4JSY
    There are also these Hexloxs.

Nosce te ipsum

All those look good. I am thinking of putting a ball bearing in the hex bolt opening with epoxy

It's rare that I leave my bike outside. Only place I do is the library in a fairly nice area. The heavy security chain is more for looks, a pro thief could cut it, but I pull the seatpost; The seat isn't that expensive but the post is because it's hugely long and larger diameter because I ride a small folder. With the cheap seat, I'd be out $100, and would have to buy a new post online, none of the local stores would carry it.

A few years back, I had to park my car overnight a block away, out of sight. All that was visible was a large cardboard box in the back seat. Someone broke in and stole everything. The box contained 6 new heavy wool blankets I got at an auction, destined for a homeless shelter. They took everything in the trunk including a $100 paella pan I got for $10 at goodwill, plus a nice small Tumi bag, a small cooler full of tie-down straps, my tire repair kit with a cheap compressor but an expensive plug inserter. Fortunately I had my rigging bag in my room, and, that they did not look underneath in the spare tire compartment, so left my 4 gauge jumper cables. But worse of all, they stole my crutch-cane, a cane with an extension that went up my arm for more stability, and in a teal green. At that time I needed it on occasion, now I need it all the time and have just a standard cane.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I remember when I lived in a not-so-nice rental in an older neighborhood. Across the street were some very well to do condos. All of our cars got broken into repeatedly, a couple of homes ransacked, and anything left outside would go missing...

Until the cops caught the culprits, it was the roving pack of kids from the well-to-do condos. They were bored and needed something to do.

-Dalai Lama

All those look good. I am thinking of putting a ball bearing in the hex bolt opening with epoxy
    If the seatpost is going to stay put for a long time, do something to keep it from corroding in place. Not grease. I'd recommend anti-seize, unlike grease it has fine metal powder in it so doesn't reduce friction as much as grease. There's also something called "friction paste" that is used for carbon fiber seatposts and/or frames so less clamping force is required, but I don't know how it holds up to weather or time. I'd check to see there is enough clamp force to keep the seatpost from moving, with a quick release or standard bolt, before you put on the permanent bolt, with anti-seize on the threads.

Some years back, I was offloading a boat with fishing rods. I left some on the dock, and walked up to my truck. On the way back, I run into a guy walking off with the rest of my rods.

" Oh, I didn't know they were yours," says he.

I almost sent him swimming for that remark, because he sure as shoot knew that they weren't his.

On the lighter side, a few years ago while gassing up ye olde truck, I made dumba$$ move and left my wallet on the siderail of the bed while I pumped gas. Then I drove off forgetting the wallet, which had $140 bucks in it plus cards and licenses.

I got a call the next day from a guy who found my wallet on the double yellow line of the road near the gas station. He had come to my house, having read my drivers license, but I wasn't home. So he gave his number to my neighbor so I could contact him.

Oh, he lived 60 miles away.

He would not take a reward.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The bloke I caught with his head in my car window…….. I kicked his coccyx to pieces and drove away.

I thought this was gonna be about:

​STOLEN TOM PETTY GUITARS RECOVERED BY POLICE

Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

^^ Naw, that's important stuff, that would be investigated by a Chief Petty Officer.

Why a ball bearing? Wouldn't epoxy be enough?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Seems I recall a ‘chip’ you can put in your frame/seat that allows you to track your bike/seat? That could be fun.

Not it a bike- but a few years ago, thieves broke in/stole my nephews laptop- a rather expensive one with expensive business software. They likely didn’t know he was the head of IT security where he worked. When the thieves cranked up the puter, it sent an alert and location. Police showed up moments later.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

And of course the seat post is an oddball size and will have to be ordered.

I am back on the road. It took multiple trips to the bike shop and some shim stock, that is a cut up aluminum can.

The seat I am using is not a comfortable as my Brooks, but less likely to get stolen.

I do get tired the snobby attitude of some of the bike store help.