Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two billion tons, deadweight.

Default Two billion tons, deadweight.

The world merchant fleet just reached two billion tons.

It was one billion tons in April 2006

5.6% p.a. compound

This has got to stop.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 05-21-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: Two billion tons, deadweight.

Why? Not arguing your point as I don’t know enough about the subject. Just curious why you think so.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Unregulated pollution due to use of low grade fuels?

Gross over consumption of goods by the population in general?

More than 1 ton of shipping capacity for every 4 people on earth. That seems like more than is needed. I know margins were already slim, it seems a correction would be on its way. I wouldn't put my money on new ships right now....

Doubling in 4 years is more than 5% p.a. increase, more like 20% or so, without breaking out a calculator.
    Last edited by J.Madison; 05-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

It was one billion tons in April 2016

5.6% p.a. compound

This has got to stop.
    Isn't the excess capacity already a problem in terms of ships that are either mothballed or just sitting somewhere at anchor?

Also, are new ships being built to be somewhat like new aircraft - safer, more efficient, etc. - and making the older tonnage obsolete?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Isn't the excess capacity already a problem in terms of ships that are either mothballed or just sitting somewhere at anchor?

Also, are new ships being built to be somewhat like new aircraft - safer, more efficient, etc. - and making the older tonnage obsolete?
    Both are good questions. I would say that larger and more efficient ships put less pollution into the air than a lot of smaller ships. Still seems like a LOT of goods are being shipped
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Both are good questions. I would say that larger and more efficient ships put less pollution into the air than a lot of smaller ships. Still seems like a LOT of goods are being shipped
    A little like the trucking business, I think.

We ship about 2/3 of our systems via freight and are usually the last pick-up of the day because of the way the routes run for most of our vendors. Most of the trucks are 48 or 52 foot trailers and it is very, very rare to see one that even approaches "full". The same seems to be true for delivery trucks. There are lots of occasions when our goods are the only freight going on the truck.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

2006 - 2018?

Is the 2 billion figure just for ships or does it include trucks, railroads, air and any other forms of freight transportation?
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    Is the 2 billion figure just for ships or does it include trucks, railroads, air and any other forms of freight transportation?
    Andrew said, "Merchant Fleet", so I'd consider it to be just shipping.
    -William A. Ward

A little like the trucking business, I think.

We ship about 2/3 of our systems via freight and are usually the last pick-up of the day because of the way the routes run for most of our vendors. Most of the trucks are 48 or 52 foot trailers and it is very, very rare to see one that even approaches "full". The same seems to be true for delivery trucks. There are lots of occasions when our goods are the only freight going on the truck.
    I can give you some insight into that.

I drove two different trucks. One was a 24 foot GMC with a GVWR of 25,995. The other was a peterbilt 32 foot straight truck. It was GVWR 32,990. Both trucks got between 11 and 15mpg.. with the peterbilt actually getting better MPG, especially on the highway with it's higher gearing. So technically, the bigger truck was more efficient to use all around, even if it did need a full county to turn around
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have to think the increase in shipping is a direct result of moving manufacturing off shore to places where labor is cheaper. This won't continue indefinitely. Increased manufacturing raises the standard of living in those places and reduces profit. We seem to be sliding down the rail to some of the last places where labor is cheap. Soon, it will be more cost effective to produce at home.

Maybe this is the real cause of rising sea levels.......

I think that the era of 'get into shipping, make a fortune' is officially dead...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Maybe this is the real cause of rising sea levels.......

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I have to think the increase in shipping is a direct result of moving manufacturing off shore to places where labor is cheaper. This won't continue indefinitely. Increased manufacturing raises the standard of living in those places and reduces profit. We seem to be sliding down the rail to some of the last places where labor is cheap. Soon, it will be more cost effective to produce at home.
    there is a reason China is investing in Africa. Even Ivanka was going to have her shoes made in Ethiopia

-Dalai Lama

I would have thought this group (of all groups) might have guessed this one.

The new locks on the Panama Canal allow for larger ships. The old Panamax class of ship (Tonnage= 52.500 DWT, L=950 ft, B=106 ft, H=190 ft, D=39.5 ft) are now obsolete...the New Panamax class of ships is (Tonnage=120,000 DWT, L=1,201 ft, B=161 ft, H=190 ft, D=50 ft).

There has been a race to build new ships to take advantage of the larger locks.

The old ships are still on the books....

Trump's war on trade should leave a lot of them tied to the dock. And how many are busy carrying oil, coal and gas? Renewables will slow that down.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

https://splash247.com/peak-container/

The 3 comments are also worth a read.

Shout out to Winnie the pooh
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

It was one billion tons in April 2016

5.6% p.a. compound

This has got to stop.
    Something misplaced in your arithmetic. Did you mean 25.6% or 2006?

New airplanes safer? Some line of code is off and the ground comes up from below and swats them. But DC 3s keep flying everywhere, even Antartica.

And what about the glut of single trip containers choking some countries? they have very little scrap value.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    https://splash247.com/peak-container/

The 3 comments are also worth a read.

Shout out to Winnie the pooh
    Being a Bear of Little Brain, I can appreciate that. It’s why I have a Thotful Spot instead of a Moaning Chair.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybb55 View Post
    New airplanes safer? Some line of code is off and the ground comes up from below and swats them. But DC 3s keep flying everywhere, even Antartica.
    Yes. Safer. With the notable exception of the code in the 737-MAX series, flying is by far safer today than it has been in the past - for many reasons, more modernized aircraft and flight systems and better air traffic control, communication, navigation, and weather services.
    -William A. Ward

With the notable exception of the code in the 737-MAX series...
    737 max is fine too if the pilot knows how to fly. You'll notice there has not been one accident in those in a first-world country.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    737 max is fine too if the pilot knows how to fly. You'll notice there has not been one accident in those in a first-world country.
    Before you blame the pilots and denigrate them for where they live, I suggest that you go over and read the thread on the subject. I think you’ll find that the pilots are not to blame. Training on the aircraft from the manufacturer did not include information about the MCAS system. Also, Boeing offered safety systems related to the MCAS system (redundant systems that cross-check AOA) as an option not purchased by all airlines when it appears that is should have been standard equipment.
    -William A. Ward

I'm not that confident that it had anything to do with third world pilots.

I do believe flying is safer than ever.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    And what about the glut of single trip containers choking some countries? they have very little scrap value.
    This probably will use only a tiny fraction of the available shipping containers. However this looks quite worthwhile if you want a tiny house that you can ship anywhere in the world.

Will

the 737 MAX was fatally flawed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Before you blame the pilots and denigrate them for where they live, I suggest that you go over and read the thread on the subject.
    Why would I give any credence to a stupid thread here when

1) Neighbor across the dock is an actual airline pilot

2) I have read other sources that know what they are talking about

Also, as they say, proof is in the pudding. Show me a crash in a first world country with first world pilots. Asiana taught some of us a lesson.

Apologies for the typo: I meant to write April 2006 .

Older people in in my industry (who often teach younger people) tend to come out with the line that we are the most fuel efficient means of transport. But when there is twice as much...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

2) I have read other sources that know what they are talking about

Also, as they say, proof is in the pudding. Show me a crash in a first world country with first world pilots. Asiana taught some of us a lesson.
    If you read the thread, you would know that several of the contributions come from actual airline pilots and others are from an actual airline maintenance manager. You want a report of a crash in a first world country with first world pilots ? Here you are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Air_Flight_3591
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Something misplaced in your arithmetic. Did you mean 25.6% or 2006?
    I meant 2006. Sorry, Gareth.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I’m impressed. Tell me more.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Apologies for the typo: I meant to write April 2006 .

Older people in in my industry (who often teach younger people) tend to come out with the line that we are the most fuel efficient means of transport. But when there is twice as much...
    There's only fuel consumption when the ships are moving (with some minor exceptions)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem