Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Cruising Plans

Default Re: Summer Cruising Plans

Stonington, Maine area for a few days in June with my Drascombe Dabber.

Summer - it will come in a few days!) I'm just waiting for not waiting. My vacation is close ho ho ho))) lol

From last week on the Northern Cheasapeake Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Were getting closer, we have cat 1 and all the technology working now ( what a freakin nightmare)and we'll head off in about a week for Fiji via Minerva if the weather gods allow.
    But the place I want to go back to is here..Fulaga.
    20170713_124945.jpg
    And that is tucked away at the bottom of the Lau group and we'll be against the trades to get there from the main islands.
    Nearly halfway between Fiji and Tonga, it's one of the places the Tongans went to to get their sea going canoes built so they could raid the rest of Fiji. No big timber in Tonga.
    It has a narrow pass nearly a kilometre long to get through into the lagoon, you need to transit at or near slack tide because it sets up stand up waves at the mouth otherwise. Slack tide does not correspond to the tide tables. Navigation inside the lagoon is all sight as it has coral heads all through it.
    It's a buzz. Nearly as good as navigating into either of the minerva reefs, but you get a really nice place to stay in for a few weeks.
    Last edited by John B; 06-02-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Tom and others. Good inspiration. Thank you.

For you folks from BC or the PNW, I'm hoping to run into you on the water and/or stop by and have a drink with you because I'm going to sail/row a 300 mile portion of the Inside Passage.

I'm somewhere between ecstatic and overwhelmed. In any case, I'm going for it!

I started a thread about it here.

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Mostly urban cruising for me, if that's really a thing.

I want to start cruising the Massachusetts coast, so that starts with harbors like Salem and Boston.
    Salem Harbor.jpg

Eventually Boston Harbor Islands
    Harbor Islands.jpg

And I'm guaranteed two days a week on the Charles River at Community Boating.
    CBI.jpg
    The sailing highlights of the summer will be a week of Open Boat Cruising class with Geoff Kerr at the Wooden Boat School in August, and the Small Reach Regatta in July.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Woo Hoo! Not summer, not here anyway, but I'm going to hitch a ride from Vanuatu back to New Zealand.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I just got back from my trip to Stonington, Maine. I was camped with an outfitter on Webb Cove that I would highly recommend. Very nice small boat cruising area with lots of islands, with longer passages to Vinal Haven and Isle au Haut if you are more ambitious.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I've already banged a few hundred miles out....

Ten days to a couple of weeks in Nootka Sound on the west side of Vancouver Island. The only major inlet on the outer Island I haven't paddled or sailed yet.
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom