Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastern US Great Loop - Best Boat Design???

Default Re: Eastern US Great Loop - Best Boat Design???

Here is where we are at:

Devlin Designs has some nice plans and cheap. I am looking at some costs to build right now... and if we can tweak some issues.

They have many cruisers that I like as well as a scow design and a Garvey type houseboat based upon a skiff that might fit the bill.

Also I found a great Scow sailboat design from Parker Marine... also at a great price...

https://parker-marine.com/scow33page.htm

I am seeking advice from both designers at this time. I am interested to learn the if we can modify this to a power boat with only auxiliary sails. The interior layout needs some tweaking, but this is one of 4 or 5 that we like.

I have not reached out to Tad Roberts to see what a design would cost from him... he has some great ideas as well.

We are still looking for a flat bottom lightweight outboard powered (in a covered well) cruiser. Looking for ease of build and easy on the fuel... Would like to find an existing hull if possible. I think that the perfect boat is a compromise as we have already shifted from a sail to a cruiser. We have an idea of what we want, just need to find something that we can make our own with some labor of love.

I almost bought a Chris Craft Commander 38 footer, but the boat is so heavy and the fuel would be crazy... I don't want to have to motor from fuel dock to fuel dock... just to make our trip. Also not really shallow draft... did not tick too many boxes, but the size was crazy roomy and I could see living on that boat would be easy.

Thanks,

B.

Hi, bjdbowman,

I think some of your requirements conflict. For example a shallow draft and flat bottom may be cheaper to build but nets you less accommodation space and headroom almost by definition. An exception might be a shanty boat or house barge. One of our members, Waltwood, did a nice job here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Another-Barge

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 9.29.23 AM.jpg

Good luck and please share with us what you decide.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I would also pretty much forget the sailing idea. The mast will probably be down more than it is up.
    someone else mentioned a commercial ‘trawler’ type (Grand Banks, Marine trader, even possibly some Mainship models.). Might even look at some of the Nordic Tug models.

Don''t overlook CMD boats, either. Designed for home buildlers.

https://www.cmdboats.com/redwing34tu...272d3e4223d384

I like the look of this one. There are larger versions of his Redwing series if you want a second cabin with two more berths.

-Dave

Have you read River-Horse: The Logbook of a Boat Across America by William Least Heat Moon? His idea of a boat worked well, it seemed. Kind of fits your parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Have you read River-Horse: The Logbook of a Boat Across America by William Least Heat Moon? His idea of a boat worked well, it seemed. Kind of fits your parameters.
    Just bought the Kindle....

Thanks,

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Don''t overlook CMD boats, either. Designed for home builders.

https://www.cmdboats.com/redwing34tu...272d3e4223d384

I like the look of this one. There are larger versions of his Redwing series if you want a second cabin with two more berths.
    Dave,

I did not see these... looks like a lot of choices... the redwing is light enough... should be a good candidate.

Thanks,

B.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I would also pretty much forget the sailing idea. The mast will probably be down more than it is up.
    someone else mentioned a commercial ‘trawler’ type (Grand Banks, Marine trader, even possibly some Mainship models.). Might even look at some of the Nordic Tug models.
    Thanks...

B.

This is what I am building for the Great Loop. When I finish the loop, I plan to trailer over to the Columbia River in Washington state and cruise north through the Inside Passage to Alaska. My build will be based on simplicity, efficiency, and easy of maintenance.

This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

One could chug down the waterways in a comfortable pontoon houseboat then rent a sailboat to go out to the islands.

When the lawyer knocks on my door and says "A mysterious rich relative left you 10,000,000 on the condition you complete the great loop within a year of this date, using your own resources with no help." I'll run out and grab a cheap Chrysler 22 and a brand new 9.9HP motor and get going. It's not a particularly amazing boat, just it's one of the shortest with a dinette and reasonable store capacity.

That Griffiths Tidewater is good looking though, could do a lot in that.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    This is what I am building for the Great Loop. When I finish the loop, I plan to trailer over to the Columbia River in Washington state and cruise north through the Inside Passage to Alaska. My build will be based on simplicity, efficiency, and easy of maintenance.

I like it. Inboard or outboard?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I like it. Inboard or outboard?
    Inboard Beta Marine diesel kit. I was looking at the 38hp but I have decided to step up to the 50hp for a little extra power for running a large alternator.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I designed the basic configuration for a long range ICW cruiser for me a few years ago:

28' LOD
    8' beam
    6000#
    Twin 10 HP extra long shaft outboards
    A smooth-water boat only limited by blow-out
    Deep-V entry

I ran into a couple doing the Great Loop in a 50'+ Sport Fisherman Yacht, and they said it was way overboard as to the trip requirements.

For that voyage I'd suggest a proper motor sailor. You suggest it would be sailing between 25% and 50%....(sort of what many cruisers do today anyway). You want to be able to motor comfortably and conveniently, with not too much noise and vibration. I like Mr. Bolgers idea of a simple rig for reaching and running, not intended for much windward work. What percentage of the time would you be carrying more than 2 persons.....that determines the size. I like Ians suggestion...but then I am biased. Truly though, the Meadowlark is not a great power boat

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    For that voyage I'd suggest a proper motor sailor. You suggest it would be sailing between 25% and 50%....(sort of what many cruisers do today anyway). You want to be able to motor comfortably and conveniently, with not too much noise and vibration. I like Mr. Bolgers idea of a simple rig for reaching and running, not intended for much windward work. What percentage of the time would you be carrying more than 2 persons.....that determines the size. I like Ians suggestion...but then I am biased. Truly though, the Meadowlark is not a great power boat
    The great loop has very limited sailing. Bridge clearances usually cause enough issues that most people unstep the mast and ship it north to the great lakes region. The tallest a boat can be an complete the loop is 19.5ft.

A lot of info here about choosing a loop boat. http://www.captainjohn.org/GL-Boat.html