Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilur Balanced Rig sail shape/geometry

Default Re: Ilur Balanced Rig sail shape/geometry

Frank, I am curious about what your Chebacco sailing client found difficult with the fully battened sail....I can envision several things about a large lug on a cabin boat which might make raising or lowering in a tidy way either easy or potentially fraught, but I am thinking of how (and from where) the halyard is managed, and how the yard is controlled on lowering the sail. I wonder what problem the battens created? I agree with you that with the standing lug, fully battened sails can be very nice to live with. Super R, pardon the thread drift....and best of luck getting your balanced lug sorted.

John, the idea was to build a Chinese Junk Rig with built-in shape like a western sail:We hoped to combine the advantages of both rigs, stil an appealing idea. Traditionally Junk Sails are flat and are designed with a 30% larger sail area to compensate. he provided me with a drawing that was again bigger then that and he ended up with a relatively huge sail. He said it was hard to lower and to make a nice bundle he had to take the battens out, and they were a bit nasty with spinters. He decided he wanted the whole sail smaller and I cut of a portion and later again when it was reconverted to a gaff sail. Then he sheepishly admitted the cranse iron he used to hoist it with was to small and that caused resistance when hoisting and when lowering. I had never seen the whole operation upclose and personal as a catboat has no spare room on the foredeck.
    Another client of mine built a small cabin boat rigged as a lug yawl and he tells me he handles the rig from the cockpit. When I have a spare day I will try to visit. His website : www.jachtwerfdezeeg.nl. He is a alu boatbuilder who makes wonderful Ian Oughtred Tirriks in lapstrake aluminium. Even my friend Bert van Baar, who runs a wooden boat school in Den Helder, told me, sotto voce, he likes them a lot, and once we had Ian Oughtred himself on board for a sail. Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, Thhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifis is the alu cabin boat with lug rig
    Attached Images Attached Images