Thread: Need Help Redesigning/Rebuilding Cape Cod Marlin

Default Need Help Redesigning/Rebuilding Cape Cod Marlin

I'm removing and replacing the cabin trunk of a 1970's Cape Cod Shipbuiding Marlin and need some naval architecture help in designing a new one. The hull is a beautiful rendition of Herreshoff's Fish, but the FB cabin trunk designed by Sidney in the 60's(?) leaves little to be desired by today's standards. I've tried designing different scenarios using Sketchup and just can't seem to come up with the look I want without moving the whole house back, replacing the bulkhead, and shortening the cockpit. I'm out of my league and need design support.

IMG_0373.jpg

Default Re: Need Help Redesigning/Rebuilding Cape Cod Marlin

What do you think of Cape Cod's re-design of the house?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

What about the Fish class version?

Do you want a daysailor or a pocket cruiser?

If the former, I'd mock out a flush deck back to the just ahead of the mast and see if you can get a head down there. Growing up we had a boat in that size range with a hatch over the head, making sitting without scrunching easy. If that can work, then you can have a very pretty boat with a nice big cockpit.

If pocket cruiser, it's for solo or two, no more. So bring a nice cabin from just abaft the mast to maybe 2' ahead of the end of the tiller. I'd perhaps raise the cockpit sole enough for self-bailing and make the seats into watertight lockers.

For both approaches I'd give some thought to a tabernacle and a strong arched deck beam to take the strain of the mast. Bulkheads on each side will make the unsupported section as small as possible but could interfere with laying out a decent pair of bunks. I'd lean more towards massive hanging knees, allowing for a magnificent V berth.

In general the scantlings of a deck stepped (or tabernacle) mast need to be a bit heftier than keel stepped, but it's a small boat and it's likely that the mast sections are robust enough that you can just saw off the bottom, but check with a qualified engineer, naval architect, or at least a standard text.

It's quite remarkable how much the aesthetic sense of a good naval architect can make all the difference. If you define daysailor or pocket cruiser, do a lot of sitting and moving about to mark needed dimensions, and make some rough sketches. Then a consult with a designer to produce a good and beautiful boat at an acceptable cost.

G'luck

Frankly I don't think it has the elegance of the Halsey's Alerion, Joel White's BP24.

Thanks. Definitely a day sailor with a berth below with enough room to hang a kerosene lamp, read a book, get a good nights sleep, and make a cup of tea in the morning. Oh ... and space for my cedar bucket.

I think you are right about a getting an architect. I've tried all I can do with Sketchup modeling Herresheffs, etc and just can't seen to get it right.

It's unclear to me why you want to change from the original
    design. As you discovered you or anyone else will be hard pressed to do better.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/marlin-herreshoff

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/marlin-23-herreshoff
    Last edited by navydog; 05-17-2019 at 06:06 AM.

It's been done and these folks may be helpful, Dan Shea and Ezra Smith in particular:

http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/f...hp?boat=marlin

https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/remaking-vela

http://www.ezrasmith.com/marlin.html

Redoing the CCSB Herreshoff Goldeneye would be nice also:https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...58182951596832
    Last edited by rbgarr; 05-17-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Yes as above I would start with what you want to use the boat for and go from there.
    Day sailor, portapotty, gas ring,
    Pocket cruiser, Portapotty, gas ring, 2 bunks/Vee double, table etc

Decisions like Traditional deep cockpit or self draining can be driven by the use and ascetics andf local conditions / Risk.

As a young teenager Dad and I used to overnight in a BB14 (17'3"LOD). Small cuddy cabin with doors and 2 bunks (You feet would meet)
    We would top the boom up a little and had a boom tent so cooked over a portable gas burner in the cockpit, 20 ltr water bottle etc. Everything would go into the cabin during the Day.
    Z

Thanks Zane. I'm actually very clear about what I want and it's very close to Joel White's Bridges Point daysailer with enough electric propulsion to get me home, say 5 mi. when the wind dies.

Ezra Smith is your man. He designed a new house for a Marlin, and did a very nice job.
    SHC