Thread: PSA: Trailer Hitches

Default PSA: Trailer Hitches

It's lovely as the weather turns nicer in this part of the world. Birds are chirping, trees are budding, necklines are dropping.... and these damn things start sprouting out the back of half the cars in the lot.

Precision-crafted to protrude just far enough to catch the side of your knee as you walk past, or to catch the grocery bag right at the height of the eggs.

Be careful out there, folks!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Default Re: PSA: Trailer Hitches

Watch out for this guy.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Why on earth don't they use something a bit less obtrusive?

I'm a true fan of these:

But in searching for the image I found this!

Now that will discourage tailgating even more than my old Pinto!

Between this and the earlier "sailor wear" ...... this place is really beginning to feel like home! Thanks fellas!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Needs some bull balls.

schwing
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Needs some bull balls.
    Why?
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

In an interesting legal question and turn...It is only a matter of time that the owners of these hitches will be sued for modifying a vehicle which makes it unsafe for public roads. In a multi car accident, being pinched between an impacting car and an exposed trailer hitch, it might be the owner/driver of hitched vehicle may be liable for additional damages as a result of the modification.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

These two fairly cry out for Bull Balls. I need to install a receiver hitch on my Kia Soul so it can tow my light utility trailer. Can't decide to install a 2" receiver tube so my various hitch bars from the Dodge pickup fit, or go with one of those dinky tubes with a dinky bar to match. Wouldn't the big tube look cool on a Soul?

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post

The ball is removable, John. When removed, it is invisible.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Where are the attach points for safety chains on these hitches? Hard to tell from these photos if there are any.
    A pox on the house of anyone who doesn't use them. My grand-niece suffered a horrible brain injury seven years ago because someone was too lazy to hook up their safety chains. Poor girl is in the hospital right now, suffering painful seizures, another side effect of this accident.
    Sorry to be a wet blanket on this thread, but every time I see a trailer hitch, it reminds me that she sits in a wheelchair, unable to walk, talk or eat and has the mental capacity of a 6-month old child.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Watch out for this guy.

Nothing my shackle key can't remove in a couple of minutes. And drop on his hood.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Watch out for this guy.
    Not legal here, very illegal in fact.
    But I see it has provision for a safety chain, a requirement on all trailer hitches here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Where are the attach points for safety chains on these hitches? Hard to tell from these photos if there are any.
    I don't know about those pictured, but we had a similar hitch on our 2012 TDI Jetta, and it certainly did have safety chain attachment points. My wife was a bit scandalized by the shape of it, especially since our son named it the "donkey dik hitch" -- but it "stood up" to towing our Day Sailer just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I remember your posts about your grand-niece. I'm so sorry it's been such a tough thing.

These hitches are the norm in Europe. Safety chains attach in underneath near where the curved hitch piece attaches.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    In an interesting legal question and turn...It is only a matter of time that the owners of these hitches will be sued for modifying a vehicle which makes it unsafe for public roads. In a multi car accident, being pinched between an impacting car and an exposed trailer hitch, it might be the owner/driver of hitched vehicle may be liable for additional damages as a result of the modification.
    Doubtful. If there were any hay to be made there it would've happened long ago. The fact that the hitch receiver is original equipment on a lot of the vehicles probably voids the "modification" argument.

I contend that my car has the coolest damn hitch on god's green earth.

edit: dammit youtube won't let it link to the forum. Start at about 1:35

(seriously, it was a big factor in my decision to get this car)

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Doubtful. If there were any hay to be made there it would've happened long ago. The fact that the hitch receiver is original equipment on a lot of the vehicles probably voids the "modification" argument.
    QUOTE=John Meachen;5893239]Why on earth don't they use something a bit less obtrusive?

[/QUOTE]

these phallaus left on the vehicles are not factory nor are the others which protrude from the bumper. Most receivers balls are made to be remove. The owners as it was pointed out in this thread like to prove symbolic manhood. There is some comments suggesting “the damage” they would inflict with their protrusion.

those trailer hitches are not safe, Make the vehicle more dangerous to the occupant and the others who share the road and are at the least shin busters. If one is not using it for immediate towing situation, it should be removed.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Curt Mfg. makes that kind of ball/mount -- "Euro mounts". But only for 1-1/4 inch receivers.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-acces...1-25-inch/euro

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

This company markets European hitches in the US. Not cheap!! The one for an A4 Audi is $825.

https://etowbars.com/us/
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I contend that my car has the coolest damn hitch on god's green earth.

edit: dammit youtube won't let it link to the forum. Start at about 1:35

(seriously, it was a big factor in my decision to get this car)
    WHAAAT? Cool!

Boy, I'll say this - I really wish our company van had a back-up camera for hitching up trailers. We've got two trailers we use around here - a small wood-decked snowmobile trailer for general, light use, and a heavy, all-metal dual-wheel trailer with electric brakes and corner jacks for really heavy stuff. Both are nearly impossible to deal with using just your mirrors - at least solo without a spotter. The security divider makes it impossible to open the doors and look through the cargo area.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Germany
    The empty hitch: If it obstructs the view to the license plate, it must be removed. There are no other "hard" rules. However, in an accident, if the hitch causes more damage than it would be without, it can influence who pays how much of the whole cost (at least, courts tend to do it like this).
    The bike rack: If it blocks the view to the license plate, you'll need a third plate (really a third, not just relocating the existing one). If there is a stricter speed limit depends on the model, there should be some limit in the manuals (at least). If it is not indicated on the rack itself too, take the manual with you.
    (source: StVO and FZV)
    Austria
    Same as in Germany

Watch out for this guy.
    Some states require flagging of items which project 3 feet or more from the rear of the vehicle ....

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    WHAAAT? Cool!

Boy, I'll say this - I really wish our company van had a back-up camera for hitching up trailers. We've got two trailers we use around here - a small wood-decked snowmobile trailer for general, light use, and a heavy, all-metal dual-wheel trailer with electric brakes and corner jacks for really heavy stuff. Both are nearly impossible to deal with using just your mirrors - at least solo without a spotter. The security divider makes it impossible to open the doors and look through the cargo area.
    Aftermarket cameras are cheap and easy to fit. And make hooking up a trailer so easy.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk