Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama

Default Re: Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    These laws are written with the intention of getting to the Supreme Court. They are hoping to reverse Roe-Wade.
    According to a report on BBC yesterday (I think it was, the days run together), several state legislatures are pushing bills like this in hope that one of them at least will make it to this, more conservative, Supreme Court.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Kay Ivey will sign this bill. She is about as 'good ol' boy' as it gets.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    According to a report on BBC yesterday (I think it was, the days run together), several state legislatures are pushing bills like this in hope that one of them at least will make it to this, more conservative, Supreme Court.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Kay Ivey will sign this bill. She is about as 'good ol' boy' as it gets.

Mickey Lake
    You mean Poison Ivey (sic)?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    You mean Poison Ivey (sic)?

Supporting the stereotypes again which may not be stereotypes.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The group lobbying for these bills said they would push for a similar one in Michigan next.

I predict a strong push back from voters. It will be a classic case of "be careful what you wish for." It will energize the majority of voters who are in favor of abortion rights.

I'm not even sure the supremes would even take up an abortion case. They can take up whatever they want or not.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    These jerks would just pass laws against women saying no. The old "if you're married it can't be rape" thing.
    I doubt that Alabama recognizes Spousal Rape.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

How very medieval ...

In reading through all the comments more astute readers of the bill have opinioned, something I do not see stated. Ok, so if you are a woman from Alabama and you get an abortion, you go to jail. Doesn't matter if you get it in Alabama, NYC, or even Canada.. you get a jury trial and go to jail.

What of the Doctor who provided that Abortion? If he is in NY, will a warrant for his arrest be issued? If such a warrant is issued, will NY honour it?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Abortion is still legal in the U.S. no matter which State you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    In reading through all the comments more astute readers of the bill have opinioned, something I do not see stated. Ok, so if you are a woman from Alabama and you get an abortion, you go to jail. Doesn't matter if you get it in Alabama, NYC, or even Canada.. you get a jury trial and go to jail.

What of the Doctor who provided that Abortion? If he is in NY, will a warrant for his arrest be issued? If such a warrant is issued, will NY honour it?
    Nope - NY was one of the first states to pass a law protecting a won's rights to one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproductive_Health_Act
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Nope - NY was one of the first states to pass a law protecting a won's rights to one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproductive_Health_Act
    I chose NY because they just affirmed their laws that Abortion is a right.. but question still stands.. are other states obligated to arrest an abortion doctor because he performed one on a woman from Alabama?

-Dalai Lama

So Neil Young had it right?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Women in Alabama are still Americans and still have a right to an abortion until and if Roe v Wade is overturned.
    Women are still women regardless what flag they wave. They have a right to an abortion even if they have to travel for it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

When a 13 year old girl is kidnapped, beaten, raped repeatedly, and impregnated, the governor of Alabama would implore her to accept it as a sacred gift from God.

"
    this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians' deeply held belief that every life is precious & that every life is a sacred gift from God.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post

I cant see either of these outcomes occurring as the pregnancy wasn’t terminated in Alabama.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Ok Alabama, I'm glad you've been working on all these ideas over the past 40 years to reduce abortion rates that you are so terrified about:

1. Free contraceptives
    2. Readily available contraceptives available to the general public including high school students
    3. Access to "morning after" contraceptives
    4. Robust and comprehensive sexual education that is NOT abstinence based but reflects the reality that people are going to get their groove on
    5. Paid maternity and paternity leave
    6. Subsidized child care
    7. Improved flexibility of work schedules without reduction in benefits

....oh wait, it's not about any of this is it? Don't tell me it's all about control!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Abortion is still legal in the U.S. no matter which State you are in.
    Every American has the rights that our citizens fight to protect. So fight this now or lose the right now availale to women.

Deplorable. Missouri is pushing hard, as well. And I’m not so sure trumps court won’t reverse roe v wade. They’ve gone rogue. The old white boys and girls, and fundies, are going for it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I predict a strong push back from voters. It will be a classic case of "be careful what you wish for." It will energize the majority of voters who are in favor of abortion rights.
    Not gonna help women in Alabama. And it won't help the rest of us if Roe v Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court.

There is no higher court. Once the right to privacy is overturned, we can expect all kinds of side effects - like much more lenient limitations on spying by our electronic devices among other things.

The people making these laws, and pushing them through their state governments, basically don't subscribe to much of the modern legal structure which has been assembled since Roosevelt.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

The NYT is running an interesting series on the conundrum of privacy in our modern culture:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/o...a-privacy.html
    Last edited by elf; 05-16-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

notice anything?

The strictest abortion laws in the US have been passed in Alabama by a group of 25 white men.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    The strictest abortion laws in the US have been passed in Alabama by a group of 25 white men.
    Any bets as to how many of them are evangelical Christians? Conservative Catholics are pretty thin in the ground in Alabama; I'd guess 2/3 of that crowd.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Very little "Christian" about this, however they style themselves.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It is impossible to have a rational conversation about abortion with a conservative Roman Catholic. I tried this morning. ..... It didn't go well.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

"Modern women just want to rut around like animals with no consequences.".
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

I've yet to meet a woman who's had an abortion who has not been terribly conflicted and emotionally distraught about it, even years after. Even if they feel that they'd make the same choice again, in the same circumstances. As to "rutting around like animals with no consequences," modern women are kinda finding modern men to do it with, or they wouldn't be getting pregnant, eh? I doubt they're rutting around with turkey basters.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Misogyny runs deep with Conservative Roman Catholics.
    Skip

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

The American Taliban are having their moment.

Weird, because it both does and doesn't. Friends of ours from University days have become ever more deeply Conservative in their Catholicism and their politics over the intervening decades ... to the point that it can be really difficult to have genial conversation these days. Though their kids (fervently Catholic) are much more approachable. But I'd not accurately call these folks misogynistic, for all that they've been uncomfortably active in "pro-life" protest etc. over the years. Each of the family's 4 daughters (now grown) was encouraged and stretched and etc., and is remarkably accomplished. The older two each are thriving working professionals with graduate degrees, with lovely children of their own. The younger two (20 and 21) are doing far better than most of their peers in terms of post-secondary education, relationships, personal autonomy and gravitas. The respect for "the feminine" in that household is very strong indeed, and in nobody's estimate are they second-class to anyone. Least of all in the view of their father and brother, or (for the two so outfitted) husbands. So it's complex.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    "Modern women just want to rut around like animals with no consequences.".
    This is essentially correct. But it's a good thing, not a bad thing.

What are you doing about it?

Every sperm is holy. Ever sperm is great. When a sperm is wasted god gets quite irrate.
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    So Neil Young had it right?

100%

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell hath frozen over.

__________________________________________________ ________________________