Thread: Boat designers who designed motorcycles

Default Boat designers who designed motorcycles (and other really cool stuff)

Giulio Cesare Carcano. Born in Milan on November 20, 1910, engineer Carcano was a figure of considerable importance who contributed to the development of Italian offshore sailing.For years he was one of the pioneers of sail design, his are some of the projects that marked an era. Carcano is the father of the various "Villanella" (his the Two Ton Cup) "Vihuela", "Vanessa", "Viola", "Vinca", of the 5.50 "Volpina", of the legendary "Manuela" by Beppe Croce, who discovered and launched the sailing talent. He was a forerunner designing light displacement boats with strong righting, anticipating the world trend by 5 years. His boats differed from the others in the characteristic V-shape of the bow (a sort of obsession of his, confirmed by the names of his boats and the future design of the famous Moto Guzzi engine). From helmsman he won a 3rd place in the international 5.5 tonnage in 1961 in Helsinki.
    Carcano, who participated with Beppe Croce in the first contacts for an Italian America's Cup challenge through a meeting with US President John F. Kennedy.
    The brilliant Milanese designer also linked his story to other sports, such as rowing and motorcycling, in particular by signing some legendary projects for Moto Guzzi, such as the Falcone and the V7.

098AC2D4-67C0-4DD3-8789-6C38575401DA.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-14-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Default Re: Boat designers who designed motorcycles

For these cars, the brilliant engineer Giulio Cesare Carcano designed a 90 V-twin air-cooled engine intended for a sports version of the Fiat 500, capable of reaching 140 km/h.

At the Fiat Lingotto factory in Turin they liked the new engine, but the annual quantities requested by the then company chairman Vittorio Valletta were beyond the production capacity of the Mandello del Lario plant and the agreement came to nothing. Carcano was not disheartened: he increased the displacement of the twin-cylinder engine to 754 cc to use it on the 3X3, a special variable-track vehicle with three-wheel drive
    for Alpine troops.

Classic IOR boat

IIRC the V twin was for a NATO artillery supply truck.

EDIT: woops

Ah! The Bologna Slicer...
    Flywheel on the outside.

Very cool, Ted.

Carabinieri used them for decades

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Very cool, Ted.
    very interesting cat. He was one of us but higher on the broad spectrum.

We would have enjoyed a long conversation over a 10 course dinner with him. We might even have invited a few of the others on the forum to join us. I believe He would have loved coming to your house for the annual party.

Rather more controversially there is Philippe Starck:

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Rather more controversially there is Philippe Starck
    Eeeeeeeew! No thanks.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

There's a Greek guy who does custom bike designs and also yachts. Only heard of him because he sent some people to come see me in Chiang Mai. Apparently he's followed my ride report for years. I don't have his details with me (I'm back in Oz at present)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Buckminster Fuller also managed boat and car. Had an interesting model boat collection as well. Also invented a new type of oar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    There's a Greek guy who does custom bike designs and also yachts. Only heard of him because he sent some people to come see me in Chiang Mai. Apparently he's followed my ride report for years. I don't have his details with me (I'm back in Oz at present)
    I just told them, there is an Aussie running a bikers pub there, they might like to have a look ;-))!
    I really like some of your riding stories. My work is the other way around: I mostly work on production scooters and bikes, occasionally doing a custom boat. The boats are either steel MY one-offs, or evolved sailing boats from the surroundings of the Venetian lagoon. Will post some pics sometime.
    Of course, as anyone who works on R&D knows, complex technical stuff is feasible only through team work and includes many skills and influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Yannis Xanthakis View Post
    I just told them, there is an Aussie running a bikers pub there, they might like to have a look ;-))!
    I really like some of your riding stories. My work is the other way around: I mostly work on production scooters and bikes, occasionally doing a custom boat. The boats are either steel MY one-offs, or evolved sailing boats from the surroundings of the Venetian lagoon. Will post some pics sometime.
    Of course, as anyone who works on R&D knows, complex technical stuff is feasible only through team work and includes many skills and influences.
    Thanks Yannis. We had a couple of good chats with them and they really enjoyed Chiang Mai.

I see you are based in both Italy and Germany.... good fertile ground for bikes in particular. I'm sure your boats - the drawings I saw - would find an enthusiastic response here. Show us some bikes and boats please.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem