Thread: seems pretty gimmicky

Default seems pretty gimmicky

imagine this dorky intepretation being what keeps you out of heaven. . .

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/13/72155...ity-of-sabbath
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: seems pretty gimmicky

Gimmicky is polite. Well - accurate - but the requirement that makes it "necessary" is ridiculous. I'll never, ever understand religion.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

To us, they do seem a bit bogged down by their long list of traditions, but I'm not going to knock them for it. We Christians have a list of our own, just perhaps not quite so long.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Perhaps it is something more... the seemingly gimmicky part is the offshoot and active permission for a greater purpose. There is a tumult in many of these communities right now because a number of rabbis publicized a halakhic ruling forbidding Jews to rent or sell apartments to gentiles. This article about monofilament line in Manhattan in the defined area clearly defines these boundaries.

This is part of the greater struggle to create a halakhic model for the modern Orthodox Jewish communities.
    in which of any new gentiles living in a claimed Jewish society can be curbed. This monofilament line is a new physical development, a fitting nearly transparent symbol no less and the application of halakhah to this new situation is deployed openly and behind closed Jewish closed doors debated. For a price tag of 150,000 a year, a cheap cost to remind the community where their clean and righteous homes are and whom are welcome to live among them.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-14-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

How many birds a year does that line kill?

Any religion that involves wrestling angels, arguing with God, and managing some creative evasions of orders is a religion that really appreciates humanity's slippery standing in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    How many birds a year does that line kill?

my guess would be none.

blah blah blah blah

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 31:15

blah blah blah blah
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

If I were to express my opinion, I regret my Jewish friends would be offended. They probably agree with me, but they don't want to hear it from me.

On a related note, I will offer that pondering how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is a distraction from the greater questions that are far more difficult to face. It seems to be in our nature to avoid the big questions and fixate on the small.

Eruvs exist in small communities and in neighborhoods. The reasoning is that the challenge of avoiding everyday "work" functions on Shabbos is more difficult than ever because there is so much more stuff today(computers, air conditioners, etc.,) There are probably 200 eruvim on Long Island, NY. Yes, they appear exclusionary.

So does anyone think God is fooled by a fishing line?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

My hometown in Mississippi had the largest Jewish congregation in Mississippi when I was young. They were as far as I know all reform Jews and their stores and businesses were open on Saturday. For a while in high school, I worked on Saturdays for one of the stores. That store is one of the few old stores downtown now.

https://www.hebrewunion.net/

I don't poke (or try not to) at any one's religious beliefs (except for the money grubbing pedophiles) that they practice as long as they don't inflict it upon me or others. If it helps them in their lives then it serves a useful purpose. Many religious rites are gimmicky.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Laura Ellen View Post
    I don't poke (or try not to) at any one's religious beliefs (except for the money grubbing pedophiles) that they practice as long as they don't inflict it upon me or others. If it helps them in their lives then it serves a useful purpose. Many religious rites are gimmicky.

Careful. your reply seems pretty fair and balanced.

In related connection, the fishing line also denotes higher percentages of measles outbreaks in those sections.

In the first three months of 2019, New York City has had to confront the worst measles outbreak it has seen in decades. The number of cases has risen to over 492 as of today where vaccine hesitancy has made inroads in the community.

It’s this fact that worries Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer. “I go to a lot of schools and talk to a lot of parents, and I think there are kids in Manhattan public schools who are not vaccinated,” Brewer said.
    Brewer continued “the best way to prevent one is to ensure every kid who comes to school is immunized. Although that is the case for most students, parents or guardians are able to exempt their children because of their religious beliefs, which creates a pool of susceptible children. There is not an exemption based on personal, moral or secular beliefs,” Brewer said, adding that, in terms of a possible policy solution to prevent widespread measles outbreaks, she would support a requirement that every child be vaccinated.

F1900A5B-F9DA-426B-9D2C-73CF2E324444.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-14-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

So, does the eruv keep measles in, or out?