Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden polls climbing

Default Biden polls climbing

Those wacky voters are out to make me look like a fool. I've repeatedly said I don't think Joe Biden will be the nominee, but his poll numbers keep going up:

Personally, I'd prefer a policy wonk like Warren, but I think I understand the appeal of Biden. He represents 'a return to normalcy.' He's an old white guy who's been in government forever, seems well-intentioned, and has a track record of moderation. That track record is supposed to be an albatross around his neck, but it isn't turning out that way so far.

It's early days, but I'm already being surprised.

Default Re: Biden polls climbing

joe biden does the left and the country a dis-service by running
    not as much a dis-service as hillary mind you. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Biden is a decent and highly experienced fellow who puts people first.

Oh, what a terrible POTUS that would be...

migod enough old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    What if a 'normal' president is what the voters want? By the way, Warren is rising, too, but not as dramatically.

I'm with Joe!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    What if a 'normal' president is what the voters want? By the way, Warren is rising, too, but not as dramatically.
    warren is a general election loser, the gop has already successfully branded her in a way she will nevwr be able to overcome

besides that she's ikinda shrill, mygod has this woman ever smiled in her life

If you wan watts between the ears, Paul, vote for Buttijieg

That is exactly what voters want. It is possibly the perfect storm for Biden. His long-term habit of saying a gaffe here or there will seem rather harmless this time around compared to what we are used to. He can be progressive enough to satisfy the far left wing if the party. He has always been fairly high on the trustworthy scale, and people are in the mood for that. His competition, for the most part, lacks experience, and people are likely tired of rolling the dice in that point.

I have been surprised by his strong pill numbers, but am starting to think they may be very meaningful. People see those polls, think about the situation for a bit, and say "that makes sense, I'm on board"

Has any candidate ever done more dis service to the country than Trump? I think not.

I'd vote for the next random felon released from jail rather than another term with Trump.
    Tom L

The only negative about Biden for me is his age. And then I consider: Mitch McConnell is running to be reelected to the U.S. Senate for another 6-year term in November of 2020. He will likely win. And he will turn 79 years-old a month after the general election.

So as a Kentucky Democrat I am willing to overlook Biden's age (a year younger than McConnell).
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

will you vote for biden?

will you vote in the democratic primary this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    That is exactly what voters want. It is possibly the perfect storm for Biden. His long-term habit of saying a gaffe here or there will seem rather harmless this time around compared to what we are used to. He can be progressive enough to satisfy the far left wing if the party. He has always been fairly high on the trustworthy scale, and people are in the mood for that. His competition, for the most part, lacks experience, and people are likely tired of rolling the dice in that point.

I have been surprised by his strong pill numbers, but am starting to think they may be very meaningful. People see those polls, think about the situation for a bit, and say "that makes sense, I'm on board"

I'm tired of polls that even those who take them and make a living doing so tell us they don't mean anything at this point in time.

Biden is a much more likable guy than Trump. He certainly knows more about how things work.

However, he's got some baggage. Not sure how he gets past his Anita Hill treatment, and he's done a very poor job on that so far. I saw him say he was sorry she was treated so badly, but he didn't think HE treated her badly. HE CHAIRED THAT COMMITTEE. He also voted with the banks against consumers. He also voted for the crime bill that Hillary took so much heat for, and she had no vote.

Will any or all of this catch up to him? Who knows. If he's the nominee, I'll vote for him.

I think it's too damned soon to pick anyone out of this field. Having limited resources, it's too soon for me to donate money to any of them. I would donate a few dollars every month to a general fund that was divided equally among all declared candidates. As some fall by the wayside, it would be divided among fewer. Eventually it would all go to the nominee.

As to Biden, I've no crystal ball, but it seems his numbers can only go down. Let's see where they are after a couple of debates.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

He can be progressive enough to satisfy the far left wing if the party.
    He really won't. Hillary had a better progressive message and the left stayed home in the Mid-West. Not to mention Biden has already pissed off the left repeatedly since announcing.

If Biden is the nominee of the Democratic Party and the far left stays home or votes for a third party candidate out of spite then shame on them. They can own the Republican president-elect along with the reds. Perfect is the enemy of good.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    If Biden is the nominee of the Democratic Party and the far left stays home or votes for a third party candidate out of spite then shame on them. They can own the Republican president-elect along with the reds. Perfect is the enemy of good.
    I would agree except there's real easy ways to make them show up, and they're being intentionally told no. If the republican nominee told the anti-abortionists they're not going to get abortion bans, would you really blame them for staying home?

I'm fine with Biden poll climbing. If he starts pole dancing though ..
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'm starting to think just about anybody but Biden or Sanders.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I think a generation's remove from Trump will be a plus.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

https://emersonpolling.reportablenew...tic-nomination

Sanders has a massive lead in 18-29 years olds while Biden is leading overall. That's a massive generational gap in political alignment that boomers have happily ignored while they could, because there are only a few Gen-x voters. Those days are over now. Biden had better figure that out or he's going to win the primary and lose the general, which is exactly why Hillary lost. If you can't motivate the younger voters, you can't win a general election as a democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    https://emersonpolling.reportablenew...tic-nomination

Sanders has a massive lead in 18-29 years olds while Biden is leading overall. That's a massive generational gap in political alignment that boomers have happily ignored while they could, because there are only a few Gen-x voters. Those days are over now. Biden had better figure that out or he's going to win the primary and lose the general, which is exactly why Hillary lost. If you can't motivate the younger voters, you can't win a general election as a democrat.
    Yes, but can he get 18-29 year old voters to the polls? Trump dominated among old people, who actually vote in large numbers. I'd like to see young voters have more influence, but will they show up?

I would agree except there's real easy ways to make them show up, and they're being intentionally told no. If the republican nominee told the anti-abortionists they're not going to get abortion bans, would you really blame them for staying home?
    One of Hillary Clinton's weaknesses was that she wouldn't promise what she couldn't deliver, a thing Trump had no compunctions about doing. Sounds like you favor Trump's approach. Well, there's a long tradition of doing that sort of thing in politics.

Based on how his past campaigns have gone, I'm still a skeptic. But if you look at the results of the mid-term elections, progressive candidates had a lot of success unseating sitting Democrats and none defeating Republicans in red districts. I'm painfully aware that I'm to the left of most of the country, and I have trouble understanding why anyone would vote for some of the people, like Trump, who get elected. But I do remember that before he adopted a typical Republican agenda for cutting the social safety net he promised to protect Social Security and Medicare. He presented himself as more of a centrist than the rest of the Republican field.

Maybe there's still life in the center. That goes counter to what progressives want to believe, but looking at the outcomes from 2018 and the numbers for Biden, that's what it looks like to me.

One of Hillary Clinton's weaknesses was that she wouldn't promise what she couldn't deliver, a thing Trump had no compunctions about doing.

I remember watching a few minutes of one of his campaign rallies and he said, "Whatever you want, you will get it." He promised them everything. I was dumbfounded that he had such little respect for his audience's intelligence that he would say something like that.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Yes, but can he get 18-29 year old voters to the polls? Trump dominated among old people, who actually vote in large numbers. I'd like to see young voters have more influence, but will they show up?
    Do what we do down here- make voting easy, and make it compulsory. That would also give the republicans another opportunity to stick it to the gubmint by refusing to show up. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Do what we do down here- make voting easy, and make it compulsory. That would also give the republicans another opportunity to stick it to the gubmint by refusing to show up. JayInOz
    Here, we have an entire political party dedicated to making it harder for people to vote -- especially people of color and young people. They know a minority of voters nationally support them, and they are determined to make that be enough to keep them in power.

One of Hillary Clinton's weaknesses was that she wouldn't promise what she couldn't deliver, a thing Trump had no compunctions about doing. Sounds like you favor Trump's approach. Well, there's a long tradition of doing that sort of thing in politics.
    Obama's biggest failure was to bring proposals out that were already a compromise, and expect republicans to sign on. He gave them nothing to win, so they kept going more and more radical to have a contrasting position. In the process shifting the entire debate to the right. So now we've reached a point where there's exactly zero room for debate. Any compromise is a loss for everyone, making the entire process a loss for the country.

Gaffe schmaffe! Has he ever come up to the level of "sweeping the forests" or "airplanes are too complicated"? Of course,those weren't gaffes, they were intentional.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Obama's biggest failure was to bring proposals out that were already a compromise, and expect republicans to sign on. He gave them nothing to win, so they kept going more and more radical to have a contrasting position. In the process shifting the entire debate to the right. So now we've reached a point where there's exactly zero room for debate. Any compromise is a loss for everyone, making the entire process a loss for the country.
    This ignores the very first promise that McConnell made on national news in 2008. He promised to work very hard to guarantee that Obama only served one term. The Repubnicants became the party of no and launched an 8 year campaign of smear and lies of the vilest kind. The party of no would not have signed on if Obama had introduced every goal of their platform. We were already a politically divided nation and the pubs turned it into a hate campaign that the Golden Gate could not bridge. At this point I am loath to admit that I've given up on trying to work with those wackos and just want to win big and kick their slimy asses out of town. The swamp will be a lot cleaner then.
    Tom L

My Girlfriends parents voted for Trump, her mother voted for the first time in her life. Both voted hard against Clinton. Her mother, during mother's day dinner, exclaimed, "I wish I never voted for that fu34er", her father nodded in agreement. He then followed with his concerns for his retirement and said, "I just couldn't allow Clinton to be president", followed by, I won't vote for Trump unless I have to, If they run Biden, I don't know, I might have to". . .

You want to win, Biden needs to sit out, he's seen as the Dems not learning their lesson. I said it in 16 about Clinton, and I'll say it now about Biden, don't vote for him in the primary, he can't win against Trump. You all are looking at this the wrong way.

The good sign in all of this is that they see how bad Trump is. Give them someone to vote for.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

will you vote for biden?

will you vote in the democratic primary this time around?
    Will definitely not vote in the democratic primary. Biden in the general election? Likely a game day decision.

Really? Trump is still viable for you?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    My Girlfriends parents voted for Trump, her mother voted for the first time in her life. Both voted hard against Clinton. Her mother, during mother's day dinner, exclaimed, "I wish I never voted for that fu34er", her father nodded in agreement. He then followed with his concerns for his retirement and said, "I just couldn't allow Clinton to be president", followed by, I won't vote for Trump unless I have to, If they run Biden, I don't know, I might have to". . .

You want to win, Biden needs to sit out, he's seen as the Dems not learning their lesson. I said it in 16 about Clinton, and I'll say it now about Biden, don't vote for him in the primary, he can't win against Trump. You all are looking at this the wrong way.

The good sign in all of this is that they see how bad Trump is. Give them someone to vote for.
    After decades of smears, I understand the Clinton thing. What have they got against Biden?

You're re-writing history. The Republicans had plenty to gain by affecting the legislation for the ACA. They thought they'd gain more by blocking it completely.

The compromises made in the ACA were to get Democrats on board, especially Joe Lieberman. It took every Democratic vote to overcome the Republican blockade.

I'm detecting something here that should be highly unlikely but it seems to be true anyway. Republicans mounted a campaign against Hillary that was filled with lies and only a modest amount of fact. Way too many democrats accepted that she was not only not the best candidate to ever run for president but was a female Satan in disguise. Not perfect by any means but plenty good enough that democrats should not have been so controlled by the right wing wackos. Look at the result.

Now I'm seeing the same thing happen to Joe Biden, another less than perfect human being, but basically a good and decent man with some flaws. Any of you that allow yourselves to be so hoodwinked again deserve to be part of Trump's favorite whipping boy cadre. Just compare these two men as to which is capable of making reasonable well considered decisions as opposed to the gut reactions of a pre-schooler. Any centrist or person that values the future of this republic as a democracy that votes for Trump is an ignoramus.
    Tom L