Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R Boat Pirate Pond Yacht

Default Re: R Boat Pirate Pond Yacht

Yippee!

Slight side note for all you model pond boat enthusiasts:

The AMYA club I belong to (Chester Springs) recently held the 25th Anniversary US Vintage Model Yacht Regatta. We had over 20 skippers bring over 50 boats. Wonderful time!

Here's a link to some pictures:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...il&ts=5d92072e

Look for the boat with #140 on the sails. It's a Mad Hatter from the late 60's and the guy who built it planked the entire hull. There's not a straight edge anywhere on the hull and some of the planks not only curve but twist along the length of the hull. He won the craftsmanship award hands down for his class.

We also have a YouTube Channel and got some videos both from the ground and the air:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0O...YwSyf4_mX6lg7w

We also have a presence on Facebook so search for Chester Spring Model Yacht Club for more pictures and videos.

Be sure to check out the US Vintage Model Yacht webpage as well:

https://usvmyg.org/

Tim

All, I apologize for the long silence here. However the wait has not been without some progress and I have good news. Prints of the plans taken from a scan of Geary's original drawing are now available again. Mail a check for $26 USD. to

R Boat Pirate, CWB
    1010 Valley St.
    Seattle, WA 98109

Write "Pond boat plans" on the memo line of the check and include your mailing address. Plans will ship in seven days.

I have mailed my check but have not received the plans yet so I can't comment on the quality but it's a step in the right direction at least. I also have the original build jigs and am planning to post some photos of them here once I have a moment to dig everything out and set it up to photograph. Finally I also have one lead keel. I believe others exist as does the original mold so I expect it will be possible to have keels made but that will be the next bridge to cross.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

The model sails very well.
    Jay

Hello Chris!

Did you ever receive your copy of the plans from CWB? Do they include the templates for the lifts to match the Marlow manual? How are things going with all the rest of the Pirate parts?

Tim

Tim, I did get plans from CWB but what they sent were the lines for the full-sized boat! I have been assured that they do actually have the plans for the pond boat and I'm working with them to sort it out. Sorry for the continued delay but I'm sure we will get there. At least in time for pond sailing weather...

In the meantime, if someone wants to build an R-boat, I have the lines and offsets. You are on your own for scantlings, rigging and sail plan though.
    - Chris

You can use the offsets and lines for the model. But the keel will require modification.

Jay Greer
    Common Sense
    Boat Design

Update: Today I received the correct plans and they are exactly what is needed. Full scale templates for the lifts, sail plan, etc. I've reached out to Scott Rohrer to determine how others can ensure that they receive the model plans and not those for the full size boat. I will post further updates as I learn more.
    - Chris

Ok, after some back and forth on the plans I can confirm that the cost and instructions are:

Mail a check for $36 USD to:

R Boat Pirate, CWB
    1010 Valley St.
    Seattle, WA 98109

Write "Pond boat plans" on the memo line of the check and include your mailing address.

I received one sheet of Pirate pond boat plans in a mailing tube. While I have not yet attempted to use them to build a model they do appear to be what is needed, with full size lines for the lifts, info on the sail plan, etc. The main challenge that anyone trying to build the model would face is casting the lead ballast. I have one finished ballast myself, and I believe that there are a few others in storage at the Center for Wooden Boats. I also believe that the original mold for the keels still exists but someone would need to take on the project of casting new keels. If there is sufficient interest in building these models I might be willing to take on that project.
    - Chris

I'm happy to hear this! I'm sending my check out tomorrow. I definitely want a couple keels. I think my club Commodore will want one or two as well. How many keels will it take to get the casting underway?

Tim

Please let us know how it works out Tim!
    Jay

Chris,

If you do not take on the keel molding process, I would like to talk about doing it. Personally, I think it is wisest to keep the mold there on the west coast within range of the CWB. But if no one is going to pour them there, I certainly need the mold and will do a batch. I have 50lbs of lead in a box in the basement just waiting to get poured.

Tim

Tim, let me see if I can acquire the keel mold and we can work out the best way to cast the ballast weights. I'll let you know as soon as I get something worked out there.

Chris
    - Chris

My check for the plans has cleared! Oh boy!

Congrats, please keep us posted with your progress!
    Jay

Keel for model or keel for full sized boat? I coldn't get which one you meant.

The model keel will need greater depth than the actual keel to get a lower center of gravity for the healing moments in a gust with the model. Look at depth of the keel on the model in post #40 for a comparison to the plans of the actual full sized boat.
    Jay

For the keel lifts 4, 5 & 6, are they done like the other lifts being glued down the centerline?

Tim, how is it coming with the Pirate model? I was chatting with Scott Roher today so I asked about the keel ballast weight and he says he has a couple available if you are still looking for one. I think you have his contact info, yes?

I have not done anything at all on this project myself. Too many other things going on. But maybe this winter...
    - Chris

Have you had a chance to check my template drawing against the real ones you have? I'm going to get started after our club sailing is over, probably sometime in November. I'll check in with Scott about the keel ballasts. I definitely need one!

Thanks,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TAGood827 View Post
    Have you had a chance to check my template drawing against the real ones you have? I'm going to get started after our club sailing is over, probably sometime in November. I'll check in with Scott about the keel ballasts. I definitely need one!

Thanks,

Tim
    Not yet but will do this week. It's been on my list and I need to get it done before I drive to Maryland in October.
    - Chris